Thread: Range time

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Range time

It appears that I an going to have to wake at dawn and be first in line at the local range to get any range time in.

I have driven over there a half dozen times in the past two days and the place is packed from morning till dark.

I have been monkeying around with gear for the past month and now I have a bunch of stuff that is unusable until I can get sighted in and I can not get shoehorned into a shooting bench.

What if TEOTWAWKI drops in on us and I am not sure where my mall ninja special AR shoots?

What if the Velosoraptors get out of their pen and I do not have the sight on the rifled shotgun barrel squared away?

And will my 7.62 Ruger zip gun shoot at all?

How can anyone sleep at night with all these problems brought on by an overcrowded shooting range hanging over their heads?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That's why the invented 30plus round magazines.....Point and pull....

Those little details, scope mounts, bore sighting, lo-tight, sighting in load experimenting always lost on a large part of the hunter population.

Buy a rifle, scope, ammo, and license....on Friday night....go out at 5:00 AM....

What's the big deal? ....LOL

Actually having a overcrowded range may be a good thing ..in the big picture.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I suppose you are correct Hunter. Some of those guys need all the help they can get.

But everyone in north Kentucky should know by now that the last bench on the right has my name on it!

They put me at that one 6 years ago when my .308 cases started flying out and going down the other guys shirt collars. They said that was my spot so I took them at their word.

Spray and pray, krat. Spray and pray.

Can't spray with a Handi Rifle....."bang" and go pick up your dead whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Can't spray with a Handi Rifle....."bang" and go pick up your dead whatever.
    That's the theory anyway.

Truth is that my AK and SKS both shoot much better than anyone ever claims they should. Mostly because accuracy is a matter of self discipline more then magazine capacity.

And all the scopes being equal the Semis and single shots all show about the same accuracy potential. It is the horrid sights on the Soviet hardware that holds them back.

I am really anxious to see if this Ruger will shoot the mil-surp ammo better than the alphabet guns. I also have a box of commercial ammo to throw into the mix.

I plan on being at the gate to the range in the morning with hot coffee in hand as the sun comes up. Perhaps I will get a bench to shoot from.

This time of year is always crowded ......have fun....kinda waiting to see how it does.

It's those crazy old retired guys that hog all the...oh, wait.....never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's those crazy old retired guys that hog all the...oh, wait.....never mind.
    Nope, this is young guys sighting in for deer season. they have squeezed us old farts out for a few weeks.

Normally there is a crew of old retired guys down there shooting .22 rimfires at miserably small targets on Tuesdays and another bunch of us that go on Wednesdays and shoot EBR type rifles and sometimes some strange super accurate wildcat whatever. Some of it you would not expect to see in the wilds of Kentucky.

We are now all ostracized by the young and pretentious who are checking their zeros, which is a good thing.

Only problem is that by the time I get back to the range it may require thermal undies, wool socks and a down parka.