Thread: Training a newbie

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Training a newbie

After Irma hit one of my close friends finally got worried and decided to get some preps together.

Problem is he fell into the clutches of a doomsday prepper before he said anything to me.

Trying to retrain him and convince him there is a difference between prepping for an event that is natural and can be anticipated and prepping for the fall of the social order has been a challenge.

Shelter/water/food trumps "buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep", and first aid supplies are more important than body armor.

I caught him right at the point where he has purchased 30 days of "survival food" and asked him if he had a stove to cook the food?

No stove, no emergency lighting, no emergency heat source, no emergency water supply. He is not even prepped for a bad thunderstorm or 48 hours without power. How he has gotten by as long as he has is beyond me.

But he does now have a very nice new shotgun and a new .40 pistol. He just does not happen to own a flashlight worth more than $1.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

At least he think about it, .....rather that demanding the gov. take better care of him...
    Gotta start somewhere.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

At least he's willing to think about it and spend money.

He was really upset with himself when he realized he had been dragged past obvious things he really needed and into someone's fantasy world.

He just texted me for a list of items he would need from Walmart and I have him on hold for spending anything until we can walk through the store and insure he understands the need and use for what he is buying. He used to camp but has not been out for years and much of the emergency equipment is different.

I see you have a new hobby..............leading a horse to water.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

He at least git a new shotgun and pistol out of it.....Nicely done.
    That's not all that stupid....

"Honey, you know the EOTW is coming right?....just picked out a new shotgun and pistol"

"That's nice dear....don't put them on the coffee table. I just dusted....you know I don't want your toys in here......."
    "AND don't forget we are going to my mother's Saturday"

yeah, I been getting a rasher of crap from the fam about the 'storm preps' taking up space here the last couple quiet years. Even with Harvey, still crap. But my aunt lives in West Palm and when it turned out even she wasn't as prepped as well for Irma as she thought she was, now I gotta go out tomorrow and restock some things for winter upon request of fam up here.

Go figure.
    But I'm ok with that.
    New thing here is places refusing to refill propane cylinders over 10 years old unless they've been re-inspected and re-stamped. PITA, but I suppose safety first. 3 of mine are past date. Considering Rhino traders. Not convinced yet. I like to watch the scale when they fill the tank. Been gypped more than once.
    Last edited by LowKey; 09-22-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    yeah, I been getting a rasher of crap from the fam about the 'storm preps' taking up space here the last couple quiet years. Even with Harvey, still crap. But my aunt lives in West Palm and when it turned out even she wasn't as prepped as well for Irma as she thought she was, now I gotta go out tomorrow and restock some things for winter upon request of fam up here.

Go figure.
    But I'm ok with that.
    New thing here is places refusing to refill propane cylinders over 10 years old unless they've been re-inspected and re-stamped. PITA, but I suppose safety first. 3 of mine are past date. Considering Rhino traders. Not convinced yet. I like to watch the scale when they fill the tank. Been gypped more than once.
    I hear ya on the propane.....two tanks ...guy say I need to re-certify, said OK.....the pealed the band off the side to show me the rust....
    Just bought to new full tanks....not gonna argue....

Morel to the story....Peel the advertizing band off the tank....last longer.

I was able to trade all my old out of date propane tanks in at a local grocery store for full tanks with the new safety valves for one and a half times the cost of filling a tank at a bulk propane plant where they had refused to fill my old tanks! You might check around for a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by WY21lmb View Post
    I was able to trade all my old out of date propane tanks in at a local grocery store for full tanks with the new safety valves for one and a half times the cost of filling a tank at a bulk propane plant where they had refused to fill my old tanks! You might check around for a better deal.
    How long ago......?

They use to do that at the hardware store that just closed down.....

I traded my tanks at a convenience store about 8 - 10 years ago. I've got 5 - 5 gallon tanks, 3 - 10 gallon tanks and 1 - 25 gallon tank. I also have a device for filling the small tanks for use on propane stoves and other propane operated equipment (mosquito fogger, etc.).

I kinda go for overkill on everything because what happens is that friends and family don't. Each time is a learning experience. "See, this is why dad has 5 - 5 gallon propane tanks. Because you only have one and didn't get it refilled/traded when it ran out." "this is why dad has three generators, so you can use one." "What? Gasoline? Why yes, dad has lots of these red cans full of gasoline. How many pints do you need?" and on and on and on…..

I just got through putting the last of the gasoline I had stock up on for the Hurricanes in my truck. I won't keep it for very long simply because I don't like to store it. If I get a hint of something I'll start filling a can or two a day until I'm back full again. I always keep the boat full with stabile in it so that's 27 gallons if I get caught totally by surprise. I fill up my vehicles every time I go anywhere.

The only thing I don't keep enough of on had is potable water. I drink bottled water because I don't like the taste of our city water and it ruins my coffee pot. I'll usually have two or three cases of water on hand and probably about 8 gallon jugs for coffee and tea. The water I don't store is for general use. washing, bathing, toilets, etc..

Food is in good supply and canned goods will last for longer than you want to eat them.

My Brother in law was in New Orleans during and after Katrina. They (he and his neighbor) were the only people on their street that stayed. They blacked out the windows and put a generator in a bedroom that wasn't being used (ventilated of course). He said that they lived quite well for two weeks…. then all of the freezers started popping open. That's when they HAD to leave. He said the stench was phenomenal. So all the prep in the world finally succumbed to the stench of rotting food. The looters couldn't drive them out, the police and National Guard couldn't drive them out, but the overpowering smell of rot drove them out.

Alan

I can still do trade-ins, if I want to take the day off to go to the propane company 28 miles down the road. Cost me a day's pay (or a vacay day.) They aren't open on weekends. Most of the other places around here will charge you at least a $7-10 handling fee to take the old ones in, plus the new tank fee on top of that, plus the first fill (at least they don't have to purge them any more. Though some do.) But there's a metal scrap guy around here that will take the old ones for nothing.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

I can still do trade-ins or re-certs, if I want to take the day off to go to the bulk propane company 28 miles down the road. Cost me a day's pay (or a vacay day.) They aren't open on weekends. Most of the other places around here will charge you at least a $7-10 handling fee to take the old ones in, plus the new tank charge on top of that, plus the first fill (at least they don't have to purge them any more. Though some do.) On the old ones, there's a metal scrap guy around here that will take them for nothing.
    Last edited by LowKey; 09-23-2017 at 01:30 AM.

There are lots and lots of places around here to exchange tanks. I use the exchange service as needed, otherwise I refill them at the local Ace Hardware.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, they do trades in here as well. I just refill until someone tells me they can't then go trade that tank in. I have two 40 gal. tanks, two 30 gal. tanks and six 20 gal tanks so I have a bit of propane. I have a propane fireplace and a couple of propane heaters.

When I was living in the RV while building a house I had a 100 pound tank that the truck came around and filled. No problems there. I just called and it was done.

I now just use the 20# tanks and get them filled at the RV center down the road. Thankfully it is across the highway from the Kroger store so not out of the way and it is cheap.

All I have to do is remember to put the tank in the vehicle.

Reminds me, I have 2 that need a refill.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    After Irma hit one of my close friends finally got worried and decided to get some preps together.

Problem is he fell into the clutches of a doomsday prepper before he said anything to me.

Trying to retrain him and convince him there is a difference between prepping for an event that is natural and can be anticipated and prepping for the fall of the social order has been a challenge.

Shelter/water/food trumps "buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep", and first aid supplies are more important than body armor.

I caught him right at the point where he has purchased 30 days of "survival food" and asked him if he had a stove to cook the food?

No stove, no emergency lighting, no emergency heat source, no emergency water supply. He is not even prepped for a bad thunderstorm or 48 hours without power. How he has gotten by as long as he has is beyond me.

But he does now have a very nice new shotgun and a new .40 pistol. He just does not happen to own a flashlight worth more than $1.
    48 hours no power is something devastating?
    Its a regular occurrence here.
    we have had power outages much longer, and no water supply much much longer.
    Normal kind of way of life for most Johannesburg Dwellers.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

I am from wildfire country in Colorado, and insanely thinking of 2 acres with trees in the middle of sweet F'all NW Arizona...

So I think I want one of those flash fire pod thingies like the really hotshot firefighters have...
    Maybe even two in case someone's with me in a high wind driven wildfire

But, but, aren't you in Chicago? 'Cause it looks like Chicago from here.

I know im resurrecting an older thread, but there is some gold nuggets here. When starting of prepping, it is most important to first focus on 72 hours of no utilities and bugging in. Its easy to get side-tracked with the tactical and teotwawki. However, in my experience, I've lost power and water or had a broke down vehicle way more times than I've lived in a zombie outbreak or a civil war.

72 hours worth of food and water, means to cook, hygiene and household cleaning supplies, a basic first aide kit (including meds), card and board games to fight boredom, and a single home defense firearm is the first place to start. I would also include $1000 in savings for hotel or ER visit or other unplanned expense. Also, be sure your insurance policies are up to snuff.

Not level III armor, a bunker, and an areaenal.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten