Thread: Medication Storage

Default Medication Storage

I've been reluctant to start a long-term stock of my meds, because the bottles say it expires in a year, but then I read this:https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...myth-than-fact

Think I'll reconsider starting a long-term stockpile. ...Probably better to take outdated meds than no meds at all. 😕
    Last edited by The United States of Nora; 01-02-2022 at 12:43 AM.

That's true. Most "expiration dates" are based on shelf life, which is, in turn, based on half life. It's basically the latest that a manufacturer is willing to guarantee 100% potency of their product. Most drugs have plenty left in them long after that date.

The key is to know the specific drugs you take. I would be edgy about taking insulin after it's expiration date. Aspirin? It's good years after "expiration". Also, heat increases reaction rates, and that includes breakdown of drugs. Keep drugs cool (and dry) and they'll last longer.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Yep, what wolf said.

Focus on what you use, and keep in dark/cool location. Any med requiring refrigeration i would not stock up. Also, those meds have 2 expirations usually. One is a storage for pharmacies to dispense and another for once they are mixed. Pay attention for which date you follow and do not trust them past their date.

I also tend to avoid liquid meds as much as possible too. Not as storage friendly and they are messy. Not to mention having to measure them out. Even pepto bismal is kept in chew tablet forum.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    The key is to know the specific drugs you take.
    Estradiol, Spironolactone, and Progesterone. All sublingual tablets which can be dissolved under the tongue to bypass the liver, or they can be swallowed whole. ...I went with sublingual tablets because I'm a chain-smoking pothead with an affinity for margaritas lol. 😅

In a couple years though, I'm not going to need to take the spironolactone or progesterone anymore, because...um...reasons LOL. 🤣

So my main concern medication-wise in a post-collapse scenario would be having an estradiol stockpile and/or replacement. The bottle says to discard them after a year though...that's not necessarily an expiration date, but that's all it says lmao. 🙄

Not sure if they become unsafe or toxic after a while or not...or where to find out for sure? 🤔

Most people don't read the package inserts because...lots of very tiny words. But there used to be information about stability - shelf life, half life - and how it was determined. If it doesn't have the information, there's this massive time called "the Physician's Desk Reference". There should be a copy at your library.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.