Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your first knife

I bought my first real knife when I was like 19 or 20. It was a Buck 120 and I thought it was the cat's azz. I guess ya can't say a-s-s on this site. Too bad.

I know it is too big to do serious skinnin' or camp work but it was awesome to this young mule skinner! Yeah, it was like a Bowie Knife and I felt like a real woodsman with it strapped on. It was a lot of money back in 1972 or 73, maybe like $40, maybe $50. I know Buck still makes them and they are like $200 these days.

I still have it. In fact it is likely the only thing I have from my early huntin and fishing days. Everything else is gone, sold or worn out. The blade needs a little honin for sure.

I was always a buck fan.......even though the "real survivalist and Zombie hunters " turn their nose up....?????
    Congrats nice knife.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

There was some Buck fixed blade knives that for whatever reasons might cut a nail but I could not get to take an edge and keep it through a deer cleaning. I never had that issue with my Buck folders or pocket knives.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I snapped a Buck Special 119 blade off at the handle while it was still in the sheath once. Saw the same thing happen twice to other folks.

Never had any problems with my Buck folding knives either. I have a real old Buck Stockman from back when they had grooves in the bolsters. I would carry it as EDC except it wears holes in my britches.

I also have the mandatory 110 folder and a couple of their modern folders in two sizes.

I always wanted one of their multi-tools but never got one. I will have to check into that.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

This is a 500C that I carried for a lot of years. It has opened paint cans, bean cans, cleaned a variety of animals, birds and fish, and fit nicely in my jeans pocket with its slim profile.

The other is a fixed blade that I got when I was about 13 or 14. My dad and I caught a mess of sac-a-lait one day and the local paper ran a picture of me holding the fish. One of my dad's friends gave me the knife saying I needed something to clean all those fish with. It has cleaned a lot more than those fish since then. The blade was about twice the width that it is now from my sharpening efforts. It will take an edge but loses it almost as fast as it will take it. Didn't stop me from using it though.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

I beleive it was a small Eka-folder and I was 6, before first grade atleast. I could only use it when I was supervised by an adult. Mid 80's. Then I had a whole bunch of those cheap hollow handle Rambo-knives but those where as sharp as a stick. And run of the mill Moras, they were a dollar back then.
    Ursäkta min Engelska

I was around 9 when I was gifted a Shrade Old Timer. I wasn't allowed to carry it for another year, but I had access to it whenever I had a valid need (usually whittling). After that I took off and began collecting any knife I could get my hands on. I upgraded to a Buck 110 around 12 years old, and then hopped on board the "pocket clip one handed opening linerlock" craze by the time teen years hit. I still despise hanging things off my belt, so pocket clips are still my go to. I still have that Shrade Old Timer, its a classic for sure.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I've been wanting to pick up a buck 110 but someone gave me a buck 112 years ago.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Would the list of members that had a Buck 110 just be a roll call of all the regulars?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Would the list of members that had a Buck 110 just be a roll call of all the regulars?
    Pretty much.....at least for a hunting pocket knife.
    Lot's went to a clip knife....like clip knives OK..... just never carried on as a clip.

But yeas several around stashed in coats, vests and bibs....and my fancy one on the headboard shelf.

I don't like clip knives for me. I'm up, I''m down, I'm upside down at times. Don't trust it not to fall out. Much prefer a belt sheath.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

On my first boat the 110 was the knife that everybody carried. I still have it, along with a few other brands that copied the design.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Mine is kept in the center console of my truck. It is assigned opening mail duty these days. One of several LB7s is on my belt for general work these days.

The way I work it, I get a knife, use it for a year or so and then retire it. Then, I get another knife, sometimes the same, sometimes different. Since on any given day I'll have a belt folder, Leatherman, pocket knife (currently Schrade Trapper) and a Leatherman Micra. I carry one of about three or four pocket knives depending on what I'm doing that day.

I like knives. Sometimes I buy knives I have no intention of using. It's like a sickness. A good sickness.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Mine is kept in the center console of my truck. It is assigned opening mail duty these days. One of several LB7s is on my belt for general work these days.

The way I work it, I get a knife, use it for a year or so and then retire it. Then, I get another knife, sometimes the same, sometimes different. Since on any given day I'll have a belt folder, Leatherman, pocket knife (currently Schrade Trapper) and a Leatherman Micra. I carry one of about three or four pocket knives depending on what I'm doing that day.

I like knives. Sometimes I buy knives I have no intention of using. It's like a sickness. A good sickness.

Alan
    I hear you.

Sometime it good to enjoy the "I have one, ain't it cool" feeling.

Used to be DW would ask, What just showed up?....Another knife/rifle barrel/bag/pack or other gizmo?
    I just say......"Yeah"

These days that enough.....

At age 4 and 5 we had the old made in Japan pen knives, little itty bitty things that I think you could buy for a quarter, but my first real pocket knife was a Blue and silver Cub Scout pocket knife which was the one I learned all the safety stuff with. Still remember the yearning for it in the case of the Scout outfitters shop. Then it was the Boy Scout pocket folder and all sort of knives through the years. Always wanted a Buck 110 as a teenager, never got one until I retired, had a lot of Uncle Henry's, Case's and Schrades. Have flippers and SAK's that I carry EDC but keep a 110 in a sheath on my belt.

Got my first knife when I was 5 yrs old. Yellow Camulius 2 blade. Was so impressed with it . Been a knife freak ever since. Can’t remember a day since that I haven’t carried a knife.
    Semper Paratus