Thread: bolt action shotguns

Default bolt action shotguns

Anyone use bolt action shotguns? I have a couple, both .410. One is a mossberg, model 83 if memory serves. The other is a SMLE converted to a single shot .410 I had always thought the bolt action shotguns were a cheap alternative to other actions and have never had much interest in them. I've been having a change of heart. A marlin goose gun has been on my mind recently. The funny thing is , gunbroker has them at one price but I can get one a 100 dollars cheaper from a gun store here in michigan. Sometimes I think those sellers on gunbroker are out of touch.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Ues a Mossberg 12 ga for slugs way back when....LOL...Heavy SOB....

It was borrowed so just gave it back...

They have their place as a solid tool...not much to go wrong.

I just don't like them, all that much.

Gunbroker is out of touch....so I don't have many dealing with them....same reason.
    Price+ fees+ shipping...????
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have a line on a 16 ga GEHA, just not sure if I want to pull the trigger.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I have a line on a 16 ga GEHA, just not sure if I want to pull the trigger.
    Why not?....LOL...then you will have another odd ball that no one knows what it is and have to look up....
    I did...
    http://readingbreak.com/features/johng/1/geha.htm
    Last edited by hunter63; 09-21-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Tool & Die Maker

I had a Marlin .410 bolt action single shot, my first shotgun. Wish I still had it but I traded it in for a larger gage. Also had a Marlin 10 gage bolt action with a magazine, 3 shot capacity. As I recall it was 12 or 13 pounds with a 34" barrel. It was heavy and bulky and took a long time to get it up and on the birds. I thought the 10 gage would make me a better shot when the problem was poor shot placement not the gun or the load. Learned I needed to shoot some trap and skeet before duck season and killed more ducks with a 2 3/4, 12 gage than the 10 gage. In my late 40's I gathered up all my old guns and sold them to buy a Winchester X2 semi-automatic to shot 3 1/2, 12 gage shells. Thought about using it for wild hog hunting but got into the AR-15's
    instead. Still have the Winchester and hope to duck hunt again someday.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I had a couple of bolt action shotguns back in my early days. They were the cheapest shotgun you could get in my hometown. Even cheaper than a single shot. No one wanted them.

I never cared for the feel of the bolt action shotgun. Just did not feel right to me.

I bought my first for $20 when a used single shot would sell for $30-$40.

Back then there was not a deer season in my part of the world so the bolt gun making a good slug shooter was not a factor.

I think the only bolt action shotgun still made is the Savage slug gun. Not sure on that. Might be wrong.
    Come to the dark side, we have pudding.