Thread: lantern mantles, not the same

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default lantern mantles, not the same

The other day, in a fit of hurricane paranoia, I went searching for my double mantle Coleman propane lantern and apparently it is stashed back in the dim recesses of the camping gear trailer.

I dwelt on the idea of unloading the entire trailer to get at the thing for about ten seconds before getting into the truck for a run to Walmart.

Ozark Trail offers a double mantle lantern for $16.99 and that sure beats emptying that trailer!

I have a single mantle lamp in the tornado bucket but that is a fully self contained unit and the gear in there is not to be touched until TEOTW or a tornado, whichever comes first. So far it has been used through 2 tornadoes but never an EOTW event and yes it has provisions for the heating of water and contains the required jar of instant coffee so I do not have to trade a brick of .22lr for such simple things.

Anyway, I made the trip to Wallyworld and purchased the lantern. Came home and fired that sucker up and blew the bottom out of one of the mantles furnished with the lamp. Not sewn correctly or made of inferior stuff apparently. The remaining mantle was already ragged looking after one light up.

I went to the lantern mantle stash and fetched a Coleman mantle, placed it on the new unit and fired it up again. The Coleman mantle was twice as bright as the Ozark Trail mantle on the other side of the lamp.

I got a second Coleman mantle from the stash and now the unit has good mantles on both sides.

The point to be made is that the Coleman mantle is far better and far more sturdy than the off brand mantle, and since they cost only $1 each you might as well buy the better product, especially for an item that has a very good chance of being used in an emergency.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-19-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I agree with this 110%........always have Coleman mantles on the lantern and a couple of spares.

A friend had a lantern from Walmart ...not sure what kind...may be an Ozark Trail?....same deal.....

He has/had(?) a pair of mine on it now....
    The Colman even seem to take a few traveling around trips.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks. Good to know

But my camping styles are on either side of mantle lanterns. LED's or candles and oil lamps for Rondy. Haven't had any trouble with any of the small oil mantles bought at the meet.

Mantles of wicks?.....

I have the agree with the ....Take one look in trailer....and go to Walmart....LOL
    When you have two "Places"....each with 3 locations for tools.....

House.... tool kit , basement shop, garage shop...
    "Place".. house kit, trailer/shed, down the hill shop.

Two trucks each with travel tool kits...........
    Service tool kits, commercial and residential.

Working on the A/C..... I am missing a pair of good wire stripper/crimpers.....

Need a tool...not one handy...will be next time....

When my wife passed away I was forced out of the house in short order. Long story you don't want to hear.

The first thing I got out of there were my tools. Into the storage locker they went. Furnature and other goodies went in on top of them.

Then I bought the shack and had to remodel from the ground up and needed the tools from a two car sized storage locker packed front to back.

Down to Harbor Freight I go! New "skill saw", drill, wrecking bars, hammers, speed squares and level.

When the house was finished and the furniture moved in I had access to the tools again! Now I have doubles for the house and the shop. Comes in handy.

Another thing I have been forced to replace was my good flashlight. I had a Roughneck that I used for 20 years and the switch went wonky on me a couple of months ago. Working on the same general principle that most of the time when you need a flashlight, especially out here in the sticks, something has gone very wrong, I sprang for a 4 cell Maglight.

It's big and heavy but I appreciate that as it gives me a feeling of "smack the crap out of them" confidence.

Up date....
    Went to Sears...Closing down, everything 60% off....No joy on wire strippers.
    So headed to K-Mart, they have Craftman tools....No joy...
    BUT
    Colman lantern mantles on clearance for the tie ons... 4-pack....$1.50 each.....bought all 5 packs......thats 20 mantles.

I carry a 4 cell maglite in the truck. Best thing since drop seat underwear.

LOL...Had a 5 cell Mag light....the first thing that was stolen when the cabin got broke into....used MY light.. to rob me...

Now have 2 cell Mag Lights everywhere.......bedrooms, by both doors, basement .....garage and both trucks , DW car.
    Daylight saving time spring and fall...check and replace.

BTW....spare bulb in end cap...y'all know that right?

I bet there are more then a few broken bad guy heads out there.

Is it worth it to upgrade your maglites to led bulbs? Got a couple 2 AA maglite penlites and the battery life isn't that good, thought it might be longer with LEDs. I've got a few of those cheap ($1.99) 9 led single AA lights scattered around, and they last for forever, (usually the base switch fails first) gotta be the leds.

Quote Originally Posted by minitruck83 View Post
    Is it worth it to upgrade your maglites to led bulbs? Got a couple 2 AA maglite penlites and the battery life isn't that good, thought it might be longer with LEDs. I've got a few of those cheap ($1.99) 9 led single AA lights scattered around, and they last for forever, (usually the base switch fails first) gotta be the leds.
    About 1/2 of my work Mini mags I had converted....with a fresh batteries...lasted about a week at the bottom of the hole, in a cinderblock wall.....while I was working at that job site.

Regular bulbs can be focused.....I prefer that for some uses......and work better is candle mode.......

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I got a big surge of energy this afternoon and retrieved the propane burning devices I had stored in the camping trailer. They have been in there for a year, I have been lucky I did not need them for some emergency. They were not in the way-back area, just the second layer but still ot of sight from the trailer door.

I had the two mantle lantern and the extra small stove and the big two burner stove in there. I brought the small stuff inside and left the two burner stove where I could get to it without digging.

I keep each device in a plastic milk carton along with 4-6 of the 1# propane cylinders and I discovered I have depleted many of them and not refilled them.

All of the empties will go into the fridge overnight to chill for refilling from the big tank on the grill tomorrow. After that I will take the grill tank and another empty 20# tank for the winter top up.

Winter is upon us, or will be soon.

I used Coleman lanterns growing up camping. But, we don't use any lanterns at all. You don't really need the extra bugs in the Everglades region. I had 3 and gave them away. I have also had many people buy me various lanterns as gifts. They might make out hurricane containers. But, none go to camp.

I was a huge fan of Maglites in the 1980's. Mini Mag in the tool belt and I think I have a 5 or 6 cell red Maglite that used to sit under the seat in the truck for head bonking.

But, these days the output of LEDs and the compact carry. I carry a Streamlight Microstream which weighs 1.04oz and puts our 45 lumens. The equivalent 3 cell Mag-light weighs 30oz.. That's fully loaded Glock 19!

I read a few decades ago about folks using laterns for heat in a wagon while traveling. They'd put the lantern under the seat and place a blanket over their legs, seat and lantern to keep warm.

As for wicks, I like the metal clip type. I haven't changed a wick in several years. Knock on wood. They bump up and down the road with no problem. If I do, it's simple. Clip off, clip on.

When it comes to bulbs vs led. A battery comparison is hours vs days. They both have they're limits but, the led seems to be the winner.
    Last edited by rebel; 10-01-2017 at 09:43 PM.

That is precisely what I was doing back we were going camping. I used those damn propane lanterns to heat the tent, as I need it to be warm while I fall asleep. Moreover, I just hate cold weather, but in those damn forests, it was freezing at night, and I could not stand that weather.

It does get awfully cold in Moldova. Maybe you should move to Istanbul where it's a bit warmer. Ciao.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahPiper View Post
    That is precisely what I was doing back we were going camping. I used those damn propane lanterns to heat the tent, as I need it to be warm while I fall asleep. Moreover, I just hate cold weather, but in those damn forests, it was freezing at night, and I could not stand that weather.
    Besides a propane lantern, I had some great SPAM as I was terrified of sleeping in the woods. I could not fell asleep that easily, as almost every single sound would make me sweat. SPAM would like to made me feel better.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-28-2021 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Idiot Spammer

I just knew that was gonna happen. If he/she/it thought it was cold in Moldova just wait until they hang out in the ether a bit.