Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A/C stopped working.....

Just the other day I come across a earwig in a contactor LOL
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

They are contact killers...as well as ants and mice eating wiring.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

This isn't mine but give you an idea what happens....

So back to 73 degrees and lower humidity......
    I like it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If I had a nickel for every phone I've changed out because of cockroaches.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If I had a nickel for every phone I've changed out because of cockroaches.......
    Yeah...lets not go there......LOL
    Don't shine the trouble light up....the ceiling is moving....

I have cleaned them with a fingernail file and got by
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I have cleaned them with a fingernail file and got by
    May have to do that next time...had a spare contactor in my stash....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hey, that the deal right?........
    Like getting an unplanned paycheck........
    Those months that have an extra Friday are nice, eh?
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    LOL.
    I fixed it.
    Saved 500 dollars.
    So I can buy a gun now.
    I used that ploy to limited success a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hey, that the deal right?........
    Like getting an unplanned paycheck........
    Ooooo - I need to go break something and then fix it. There's this pistol I've been looking at.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's where my Beretta came from. Nothing broke this month so I figured I was waaaay ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I have often wondered what folks did for AC back before John Gorrie invented AC and Willis Carrier brought it to the masses. My brother is building a offgrid home in Kentucky and it gets hot there. He going to put in tall ceilings but other than that maybe a swamp cooler.
    Most lived where it didn't get too hot. The population of the warmer states (The South and southwest) has boomed since A/C. Look out northern latitude states if the power grid goes down.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep John Lee, the south has boomed since AC and TVA to power it came along.

Back in the day there were no huge factories in the south. They were all built up north where the temps allowed work year around. Now some of the largest factories in the world are in the southern US.

My family lived in the mid-south, just outside Nashville, TN and starting about July 4 the daytime temps would be above 90 each and every day with August and early Sept temps often reaching 100+. Global warming my sweet @$$, it was hotter than he!! back then!

We did not have an AC in our home until I was 17.

What did we do?

There was lots of sweat. I remember that part.

Lots of window fans blasting 95 degree air around. The windows were always open and the blinds up day and night, except during storms. Privacy was sacrificed for some measure of air circulation.

Lots of ice water from the huge jug kept in the fridge.

Lots of trips to the movie matinee for $0.25 cents per kid and an entire afternoon in the theater AC. You would walk out of that theater into a wall of heat that made the air too thick to breathe.

At night you slept in your boxers with the window fan blasting over you.

Sometimes you slept outside in the tent. It was cooler out there. As we got older, 10-12, we sort of moved outside for the summer.

I still remember my Mom canning foods for days on end with the stove going full blast and the outside temp above 90. It was probably 110-115 in that kitchen. She canned/froze about 1500 quarts of veggies every summer.

The main meal was at noon. You cooked in the morning before it got too hot and had your main meal at lunch. Supper was usually a light meal of cold foods.

The southern cooks also specialized in serving many foods cold that were served hot in other areas, with special spices to bring out the chilled flavors. Deep fried chicken with potato salad, both served ice cold, washed down with Iced tea so sweet with real cane sugar that it was almost syrup. There were also lots of salads based on green Jello and pineapple,,, always green.

Sometimes all you could do was find a shade tree, sit under it and sweat. That's what grandma and grandpa did most of the hot afternoons. Sit in the lawn chairs in the shade and read the newspaper, sip Iced tea, and make sure us kids were behaving ourselves.

But consider what all that sitting and sweating has given us. Southern homes with verandas and 14' ceilings to create circulation, To Kill a Mockingbird, Tennessee Williams plays, most of the best authors of the 20th Century, Blues music and Rock and Roll, the best sippin' whisky in the world based on radical temperature changes while aging, southern cooking.

I also think that if one did some research they would find that more old folks died in summer than in winter down south. Without modern meds the heat was often too much for their hearts. I knew several people that died working the fields in mid summer.

Now I'm rambling.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-18-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We had a 36 inch fan in the attic that pulled air through the house. You would lay in bed with the window open and that fan pulling air over you. That was until we got the window AC unit. Then I slept in the floor in front of it when it was really hot. Our house didn't have insulation in the outside wall until 69 or so. Someplace along there.

Growing up...never had A/C.....
    MF did the open basement windows on the north side of the house....big box fans on steps...back porch to kitchen....then a propped open attic door....big temp controlled fan in the attic..
    South facing windows shades drawn...windows...open.

I slept on a screened in front porch.....in the summer....basement in the winter (2 bedroom house ...4 kids)

Kinda did the window and fan thing... till our first A/C in about 1992 ( has it been that long?).....put in by the company I ended going to work for in 2001.

We were at Rondy at the time it was put in...DD stayed home...so had her BF set the digital T-stat....he had it on like 62....you could hang meat......
    PS that the same unit I just worked on.....
    Has been a very good furnace and A/c.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    ...washed down with Iced tea so sweet with real cane sugar that it was almost syrup...

...sip iced tea...
    Now we know why iced tea is Southern staple.

I was looking at house plans of the old Sears-Roebuck homes they used to sell. A lot of them had 'sleeping porches'.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Quote Originally Posted by chiggersngrits View Post
    I was looking at house plans of the old Sears-Roebuck homes they used to sell. A lot of them had 'sleeping porches'.
    There are a lot of those built around 1920- 40's....still around the neighborhoods that had factories
    The factory I use to work at...and sold off lots cheap to employees ....many of the houses were Sears and many others of the same designs.
    Employees walked to work....

Example

So how much are you going to tell your wife it cost you to get HER AC going again?

Alan

The cost of that new Handy Rifle. He ain't no dummy.

....Still looking....not many around...or barrels that I don't have......

You realize of course that $400 for a 30 lb can of r22 is a lot cheaper that I was quoted to suck mine out for reclamation, it was so much I bit the bullet and bought some off of Ebay, I don't have the 608 license, only the 609, guys selling don't know or don't care about the difference.

Rancher