Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A/C stopped working.....

Default A/C stopped working.....

Always something....

Bad news...DW was saying she was warm....so looked at the T-Stat....yup up to 75 (73 normal)....with the unit running....no cooling.

Good news ...it's fall and outside temp is 72 right now.
    So not an emergency....

Being retired from the HVAC Service trade.....have the knowledge and tools to get it back up and running....if I had some R-22

Unit is a 1996 American Standard .....Has had a slow leak last few years....
    I had looked for it using my primitive means....look for oil stains and bubbles ....do not have a "sniffer" or dye injector"/UV light....

Topping off the unit takes about 3-4 pounds and lasted from spring of 2016 to last few days....(2 years of operation)
    I had used up the last of my bottle of R-22 I have had from my working days.......so went looking for another bottle.

I am/was? certified to buy and use......
    BUT
    New 30 pound tanks is in the $400 buck range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2226292...=ps&dispItem=1

Holy Molly Batman....LOL
    May have a deal with my old teacher to get some from the tech school....?
    Could cann a couple of people I had word for....but most likely they wouldn't just "sell me a bottle"

So I would call for a service call...and just have them top it off.....
    BUT being fall....most likely have some leak down over the winter....

So pondering.....Pondering....and waiting from a call from the teacher.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Local weather says we are headed into some of the warmest weather of the summer around here! Temps into the 90s.

I replaced my unit last year so this is its second summer. Should be good for longer than I am. At least that is the plan.

Reminds me of when my Mom and Dad retired and bought their "last new car". They wound up having 3 more last cars before Dad died.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If you were closer I have a jug that a lady gave me that you could take. We have for the most part converted over to r 410 and MO99. I still have a jug of r 12 but haven't used or really needed that in years
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Yeah? No AC huh? Shoulda been here last weekend when Irma rolled through.

Your AC giving ya fits? How about no AC AND no electric for a couple days when it is 90 degrees and 95% humidity. Get back to me will ya . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Slim View Post

Your AC giving ya fits? How about no AC AND no electric for a couple days when it is 90 degrees and 95% humidity. Get back to me will ya . . .
    Sorry but that was uncalled for....

I do feel for you.....but this is about me. and my situation... not your decision to live where you live......
    I wish I was rich but I'm not....bad feeling and whining won't help anyone.

Y'all have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    If you were closer I have a jug that a lady gave me that you could take. We have for the most part converted over to r 410 and MO99. I still have a jug of r 12 but haven't used or really needed that in years
    I'm working on a deal with the instructor where I took training.....but at $400 a jug.....a road trip may be in order..
    And there IS the porch thing.....LOL

Same thing happened to us when we lived in MN. I put in a window unit for the remainder of summer/fall to stay cool in the bedroom. When spring/summer came we had too get a new central unit. The service guy said that you can't get replacement parts for the r12. Seemed like a conspiracy. Lol. Good luck.

You know they send some guy out and suck all that R12 out of the old stuff. So I know some place there is a ginormous tank of G12. Ginormous! Guy don't need but a couple of pounds.

And Slim, your electricity was out a couple of days? A friend of ours daughter had a baby two weeks ago and dropped dead of a blood clot to the lung. It's all relative my friend.

I have often wondered what folks did for AC back before John Gorrie invented AC and Willis Carrier brought it to the masses. My brother is building a offgrid home in Kentucky and it gets hot there. He going to put in tall ceilings but other than that maybe a swamp cooler.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

AC we don't need no stinking AC .
    Middle Tennessee, off grid and using a wood cookstove year around . Sure it gets a bit warm in the summer with the pressure canner going 8 to 10 hours a day but hey its summer . 😓

We don't have A/C at "The Place" our cabin...but up on the side of a hill so keep pretty cool unless it real hot....and you go up stairs...

This is not a major deal...this time of year....just one more thing to deal with.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    .....a road trip may be in order..
    And there IS the porch thing.....LOL
    long way for freon but if you make it to the tip of the mitt, the porch is waiting LOL

Looks like a bout 7 hours....410 miles....around the Wisconsin side to the bridge.
    Ferry (374) .....and Chicago (481 miles and 3 tranquilizers).... little longer.

LOL...I'll get back to ya......

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Slim View Post

There are thousands of people that lost everything. Being inconvenienced for a couple of days is not reason to ...... well hopefully you were just kind of joking.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit
    AC we don't need no stinking AC .
    Middle Tennessee, off grid and using a wood cookstove year around . Sure it gets a bit warm in the summer with the pressure canner going 8 to 10 hours a day but hey its summer

Oh, my word. That nearly brought on a case of the vapours! Got to have my AC!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    There are thousands of people that lost everything. Being inconvenienced for a couple of days is not reason to ...... well hopefully you were just kind of joking.
    Yes, I was joking however, some didn't see it that way I guess. Hard to display sarcasm sometimes online.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Sorry but that was uncalled for....

I do feel for you.....but this is about me. and my situation... not your decision to live where you live......
    I wish I was rich but I'm not....bad feeling and whining won't help anyone.

Y'all have a nice day.
    Sorry . . .see post #16 please.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    long way for freon but if you make it to the tip of the mitt, the porch is waiting LOL
    Randy.....I guess a road trip isn't needed just yet...
    Thanks again for the offer...was kinda looking to spending some porch time with ya....Oh and the freon.....LOL

Decided to actually go check it out before the search for R-22 began in earnest......
    Reviewing the situation....:
    One day running and the next running but no cooling...pretty sudden?
    Fan on condenser running....didn't check it but could see to the bedroom window.

Furnace blower running...filter OK...should be changed again....... (change a lot because of dog hair)
    Coil not frozen or even cool....Low freon can freeze up the coil....all the way to the condenser outside ????
    I just shut it down and just ran the fan....as I was sorta working on something else.

Knowing I was out of freon, and that I do have to top off, every once in awhile...my first guess was the freon.

But before calling "a guy" former employer ....I figured I better check the unit first, so I didn't look stupid, and suffer from the "Is it plugged in?' syndrome ......went out and tried to fire up....to see if compressor was running...(to cool)

Got a click....but neither the fan or compressor started ...huh?

Pulled the covers off....tried checking voltage...24 volt control and 220/240 run voltage.
    Meter wasn't showing anything ...or was jumping around....Humm...battery......put in a new battery.

Had control...... from t-stat and it would pull in the contactor...OK

Checked voltage coming in ....had 220 on the in-side of the contactor.....but nothing even when the contacts are closed.
    Saw a bug (earwig) butt sticking out of the contactor......contacts burned.
    AH Ha!......

Changed out the contactor ....Had one leftover from my working days.

Unit fired up....and started cooling.....
    Didn't check the freon pressures as I don't have any, anyway.....so as long as it's working (maybe not all that well) it just needs to make it till spring...

So it's fixed for now....and now I remember why I retired....my knees are sore...can't see stuff unless I looking directly straight at it....fingers don't seem to know what to do, any more.....But the head is still working a bit.

Time for my nap....saved $500 bucks,.... so, maybe start looking for Handi Rifles?

It's all good......

LOL.
    I fixed it.
    Saved 500 dollars.
    So I can buy a gun now.
    I used that ploy to limited success a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    LOL.
    I fixed it.
    Saved 500 dollars.
    So I can buy a gun now.
    I used that ploy to limited success a few times.

Hey, that the deal right?........
    Like getting an unplanned paycheck........