Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diy

DIY for me.

Picking up something with my toes instead of waiting for my wife to get home.

Haven't completely lost my touch....
    Tackled the A/C...(other thread)....and I won.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A lot of the do it yourself has been forced out by the throw it away mentality of our current society. My grandparents repaired anything and everything till it simple could not be fixed anymore. But these days things are made in ways that are so complex that you need special tools and / or a PHD to repair them. The government has regulated everything to the point you need a license to flush your toilet...etc. But the internet and sites like this have brought about a resurgence of the back to basics and do it yourself mentality among a lot of the younger folk and it is in the long term a good thing IMO. I myself have learned a good deal over the years from the great people here.

D.O.M.

It's not just a throw it away mentality. The cost per loaded hour makes throw away a savings for companies when they can have a repairman change out an item in 30 minutes rather than spend 1 hour or 1.5 hours repairing that same item. That goes to overhead, which goes to bottom line. That's money in your pocket as a consumer since you wind up paying less for the same item because the company can now charge less.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's not just a throw it away mentality. The cost per loaded hour makes throw away a savings for companies when they can have a repairman change out an item in 30 minutes rather than spend 1 hour or 1.5 hours repairing that same item. That goes to overhead, which goes to bottom line. That's money in your pocket as a consumer since you wind up paying less for the same item because the company can now charge less.
    Yup.......just saw an ad for ceiling recessed lights.....the wiring is "plug in"....

Many components on a lot of products are 'plug in as well"....isolate a problem to a certain Module with a part ($25 buck) plus 3 hour labor $300 bucks...OR....just change out the module....$300 + 15 min $25 bucks....
    But means that that guy can do more jobs per hour.

I understand the labor issue...no one wants to spend $350 diagnosing several circuit boards and replacing parts on a $300 dollar television but the other side of it is the corporate greed like Tesla putting the same batteries in all cars then unlocking the extra power only for those that pay extra or John Deer making the programming on the new tractors locked so farmers have no choice but to go to them for repairs etc. There is a fine line between protecting your business and extorting the customers, between thrifty money management and outright wastefulness...what seems cheapest on the front end is not always best in the long term.
    D.O.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Durtyoleman View Post
    I understand the labor issue...no one wants to spend $350 diagnosing several circuit boards and replacing parts on a $300 dollar television but the other side of it is the corporate greed like Tesla putting the same batteries in all cars then unlocking the extra power only for those that pay extra or John Deer making the programming on the new tractors locked so farmers have no choice but to go to them for repairs etc. There is a fine line between protecting your business and extorting the customers, between thrifty money management and outright wastefulness...what seems cheapest on the front end is not always best in the long term.
    D.O.M.
    We hear ya........Neighbor is still sitting in his driveway learning how to make his new 2017 Chevy Media Mobile work ...
    That is scary......

Well, the other side of the coin is don't buy Tesla or John Deere if you disagree with their marketing ideas. They are the ones that invested the R&D dollars. No different than Apple selling an iPhone for a grand when it costs them $40 bucks to manufacture on a per unit basis or whatever the number is. You can probably still purchase an AvtoVAZ Lada for just a few hundred thousand rubles.

I don't do roofing...

Alan

Smart man.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't mind roofing. We are putting on an addition at church and they did the roof last week. I watch for about 20 minutes, got tired and came home.

Well, as long as you made sure they were doing it right, no need to stick around and waste manpower.

Alan

The last roof job was done by "The Guy".....on the shed...

I did get a price break as I did the clean up....kinda....
    When they did the tear off, they just dropped the old stuff into my dump trailer.

Quick trip to dump....back up to the bin,....push the button......stop and pay the lady and the scale $20 bucks.

Nice to be able to work smarter... not harder.
    We have the technology!