Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Self defense against a dog attack?

Yep. Back before the feeling generation, you did what you had to do.

In minnesota a few years ago the state passed a vicious dog law.
    state wide, it was done cause a unfit parent letting thier 7yr'old child
    run loose up and down the block. a neighbors pit got loose from the yard an mauled
    the child. now the owner of any dog on this list' shepards pits chows dobes
    like that will automaticy recieve a year in prison. where is the responibilty of others.
    to automaticly place blame on the pet owner. and prison time to boot. thats crazy
    and this law is state wide not just the cities.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

I don't even know what to say to that. I suppose a good parent would have kept their child chained up at home. A parent is unfit because they let their child play? I have to hand it to you. That's certainly a twisted way to look at it.

There's a guy that wears a wife beater T shirt and a lot of gold chains that occasionally walks his pit bull up our street. The dog wears a spike collar and is on a chain. I mean a chain. It pulls that guy down the street straining the chain the whole way. It takes great interest in other dogs, cats, kids, and adults. The guy either crosses the street or pulls the dog off the sidewalk to let people go by. Dog has intense prey instinct, aggression, and is very reactive. My observations and fear have nothing to do with the breed. I live across the street from an elementary school. Kids are always playing over there. I hope the guy moves soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    In minnesota a few years ago the state passed a vicious dog law.
    state wide, it was done cause a unfit parent letting thier 7yr'old child
    run loose up and down the block. a neighbors pit got loose from the yard an mauled
    the child. now the owner of any dog on this list' shepards pits chows dobes
    like that will automaticy recieve a year in prison. where is the responibilty of others.
    to automaticly place blame on the pet owner. and prison time to boot. thats crazy
    and this law is state wide not just the cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't even know what to say to that. I suppose a good parent would have kept their child chained up at home. A parent is unfit because they let their child play? I have to hand it to you. That's certainly a twisted way to look at it.
    ...heh...whew...
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

the thing is this, this incident took place in the ghetto so to speak.
    in such a neighborhood and given the world we live in today.
    it's not the world we grew up in many moons ago.
    child abductions, driveby shootings and the like.
    children SHOULD be able to play freely.
    but sadly our world in many places has changed for the worse.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

15 people watched while 2 pit bulls killed a 7-year-old child last week.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/loc...new_what_to_do
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    You can bet the farm if someone there at the scene (Mass.) had pulled out a handgun and shot the dogs, he would now be in jail.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

In Lowell MA, there was probably a pretty good chance someone there did have a gun, but didn't want to add 'felon in possession of a firearm' to dog killing charges.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    the thing is this, this incident took place in the ghetto so to speak.
    in such a neighborhood and given the world we live in today.
    it's not the world we grew up in many moons ago.
    child abductions, driveby shootings and the like.
    children SHOULD be able to play freely.
    but sadly our world in many places has changed for the worse.

Children do play freely in the Ghetto- mostly in the basement with the nintendo...
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I couldn't get your link to post but if I saw any human being attacked by a dog I would intervene. Doubtful I would shoot the dog because I rarely conceal carry (except in Florida) but I would either club the dog or choke him to death with my hands. Two dogs would require some kind of weapon though.

Tool & Die Maker

Received this email today from my Brother-in-Law. Wife's sister and Brother-in-law live in Palm Coast Florida. We visit them a couple of times while we are in Florida. They have a very small dog. This was shocking:

Today started kind of like a normal Sunday, I went to church and came home and started to walk my pup Dolly I went to the left from my house and got as far as the first corner That's when things changed.
    I looked up and there was two 2 big dogs loose and they were headed my way. I stopped and turned back toward my house and got as far as the first driveway when the two dogs caught up to me

I tried to get dolly behind me so the big dogs could not hurt her.

Then one of the dogs was biting at me and trying to get to Dolly. Thats when I pulled out my concealed carry pistol and shot one of the dogs.

I went directly home and called 911 and told them that I shot someones dog. About 4 or 5 minutes later there was 4 or 5 squad cars down at the neighbors house and one at my house.

They took my drivers license and my carry permit and copied Dorothys license and my friend from down the street license and carry permit and copied them.

When all was said and done the police officer gave everything back to me Dorothy and my neighbor and said I was in my rights to protect myself and my Dog.

I carry a Ruger 380 with alternating Critacal Defense and Starfire ammo It worked great But I sure hope that nothing like this ever happens again.

Jim

I was weedeating at my son's house one day when I caught some movement behind me. I turned just in time to see a pit coming full on and way too close. I had enough time to bring the weedeater around and shoved it in her open mouth. That pretty much stopped her in her tracks but she did not back up. I raked it across her face and she retreated across the street. I started walking to my truck (weedeater still running) and here she came again. After that weedeating she was done trying to get at me for the moment. She stood across the street watching me and when I turned the weedeater off, here she comes again. I was able to get in the truck but not by much. She was biting the tires as I drove away. I went home and got a pistol and went back. I called the SO and told them that I was being attacked by a dog while mowing my grandchildren's yard and if it came in the yard again I was going to shoot it. They never came out. When I got back to my son's house the girl who owned the dog was in the street (I say girl, she was about 25). When I stopped, she asked me to help her put the dog in the pen. I told her that norlmally I would be glad to help but that today I was not going to get dog bit and I really didn't want to shoot her dog (actually I really did want to.... the dog was a menace and a danger to my grandchildren). I started weedeating again as long as the girl was in the street the dog stayed put. I soon finished the yard and left. So never showed up.

When I got home, #1 wife told me that the day before the dog had made her jump up on the picnic table with the kids and would not leave until the owner called her (nobody tells me these things when they happen). Well, that did it. I drove back over there and the girls father had put the dog up. I told her that if I saaw the dog loose again I was going to kill it, that it was dangerous and had proven that it was going to bite someone if given the chance.

I heard.... that it got out and got into my son's next door neighbor's chicken coop and killed all the chickens. It was still in there when the neighbor got home. The dog has not been seen nor heard form since.

I can't imagine an animal that can take a weedeater to the face and mouth and still want more, but there you have it. As far as killing or stopping one of the dang things with your bare hands? Well, if that's all you got, go for it. When #1 son was into hog hunting he had pits for catch dogs. I have seen them take a five cell maglite to the skull and it doesn't even faze them. Three good whacks and you can shove the maglite into their jaws and pry them loose from a dead hog. A hog in the 250# class will sling a 60# pit around like a rag doll. I really don't think a person could beat one to death.

These days, I'm too old and heal too slow to allow myself to get bitten by a dog.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    These days, I'm too old and heal too slow to allow myself to get bitten by a dog.
    I felt that way when I was in my 20s. That's why I carried Dog Stop and a 2 lb. line hammer when I had to. One of the guys I worked with had a St. Bernard jump up over a 4 ft. privacy fence and grab him by the face while he was talking to the owner. I had a chihuahua that thought he was Napoleon until he got drop kicked. And then there was the goat and the German shepherd. They were a very effective but class act. In a decade outside I never ran into two animals that had a more polished attack. They were good and I had to take my hard off to them.

I'd rather take on a German Shepherd any day than a billy goat. A GS will bite you but a billy goat will kill you. I had spanish goats when I was younger and they were bad enough. My dad had boers. A boer billy gets big and no less cantankerous than his hispanic cousins.

Alan

I got out of the trunk and that German Shepherd met me barking and raising all sorts of cain but he would get no closer than about 10 feet backing up as I walked toward the house. The goat was behind me and following along. As soon as I cleared the truck that @##% goat butted me from behind. I pushed him away keeping an eye on the dog and the goat butted me from behind again only harder. I turned and took the goat by the horns. When I did the dog ran in and grabbed me by the heel of my boot just as the goat pushed and down I went. The goat jumped aside to let the shepherd jump in the middle of me. I had my Dog Stop in hand so that made short work of the dog but it would have been a much different story had I not had it. Those two had worked that scheme before. They would have been great at rolling drunks in some back alley.

Tool & Die Maker

Wink

My Brother-in-law made it to the local news paper, good write up:

The dog and another dog from the same household had a history of getting out of their yard,
    according to an FCSO case report.

by: Jonathan Simmons News Editor

A 69-year-old Palm Coast man shot and killed an unleashed German Shepherd mix dog that attacked as he walked his puppy the morning of July 1, according to a Flagler County Sheriff's Office case report.

The man, James Armes, said he was walking his puppy on Westchester Lane, where he lives, when two German Shepherd dogs approached "in an aggressive manner," according to a deputy's summary of the Armes' statement.

Armes turned around to go home, but one of the two dogs came after him and his puppy near 33 Westchester Lane and tried to bite him and his puppy, he later told a deputy.

Armes drew a Ruger LCP .380 from his pocket, "crossed his body with it and discharged the weapon at a downward angle into one of the dogs that was adjacent to his left calf," shooting the dog in the head, according to the case report. The other dog ran away. Armes was licensed to carry the gun.

Armes' wife and a friend who was at Armes' home when deputies arrived told a deputy that although they hadn't seen the incident that led to the shooting, they'd previously seen the two dogs "running loose and possibly acting in an aggressive manner," according to the case report.

The dogs' owner, 39-year-old Michelle Wisher, said the dogs that escaped from her fenced backyard on Westcliffe Lane had gotten loose in the past.

She said that after the dogs got loose, her daughters "ran out front of their residence and heard a loud pop in the area," according to the deputy's summary of her statement.

Wisher drove out looking for the dogs and found the one dog, a 5-year-old female named Caroline, dead.

"After obtaining all parties' statements and the prior history of Caroline getting loose and being aggressive, James' actions were being determined to be in self-defense," the Sheriff's Office case report states.

“This is an unfortunate, tragic neighborhood situation," Sheriff Rick Staly said in a Sheriff's Office news release. "While we never want to hear about the killing of a pet, pet owners must be responsible and watch over their animals. If you know your pet to be aggressive, it is your responsibility to keep them on your property or on a leash.”

Only in Florida would they describe the weapon used, I like that.
    My brother-in-law is a firearm expert (ex Marine) he knows what he is doing. We go shooting all the time when we visit. The dog chose the wrong person to be hostile with. Sometimes he packs a 45 ACP. Boy, that could have been messy. :splat:
    Last edited by jim Glass; 07-04-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Happy ending for your brother - sad ending for the dog - hopefully a wake up call for the owner.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would not own a mean dog and never have.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

There have been six months of my adult life that I have not shared with a dog. My responsibility is to care for the dog. The dog's responsibility is to care for all that is mine. They cannot molest the humans, the cats, chickens or potted plants that are under their care. As the head of Ranch Security, the dog is help to a high standard of behavior. They also must never "mark" any of my possessions as their own.

I have had some really great dogs.

Alan