Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Self defense against a dog attack?

Banned

you can kill a dog who attacks you- if you feel your life is in jeopardy, defend yourself and worry about the law later…. most jurisdictions allow self defense. See all the posts about fighting off a police dog for that specific issue.

But, can you actually kill the dog?

Not without weapons, training and help. Unless it was a mop dog or lap dog, of course, but anything over say 10–12 kg (maybe less) and you are in trouble. Thats how much a staffordshire bull terrier weighs, and although I love staffies, I’ve seen one take a face full of pepper spray and keep attacking, and he was not going to stop unless he was prevented from attacking by some brave soul, who happened to be the SPCA officer with a neck loop. The SPCA guy nearly garrotted that dog before he would stop biting.

Tool & Die Maker

Hey David, a fellow hog hunter Oink

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I would not own a mean dog and never have.
    I feel the same way. although the dog I have now has been a real challenge. She does not tolerate other female dogs or squirrels.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

In my opinion, we should not hurt the animals, rather try to calm them down in case they fight with us, but if we don't manage to tame them, we certainly have no choice and we have to fight, but not to the point of bloodshed. In general, I like animals to the fullest and I don't like to see that they are injured because my heart breaks into thousands of pieces. I have a dog and I always try to take care of him to the fullest. At first I searched for a good name for him and in the end I was lucky with this site with ****SPAMMERS R US****** because it gave me so many good ideas.
    Last edited by Rick; 03-24-2021 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Removed Link

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What's the matter with a little bloodshed now and then, for a worthy cause anyway?

let me ask now, since you are in the gun section, do you happen to own one?

A gun I mean.

Or is it just for targets and paper stuff?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

WOW, where did this guy come from?

New recruit from La-La Land.

He's watching too many Nat Geo specials.

He apparently thinks the animals can understand you when you talk to them.

Hey, Vincent understands me when I talk to him...when he wants to.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

"For he can talk with the animals. Walk with the animals. Grunts and squeaks and squawks with the animals...

Anyone can grunt, sweak, and squawk with an animal. Take a bear...prelude to a show and meal...
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Well you know the best protection against bears... pick a hiking partner that's slower than you.

Of course there's nothing like that...

"HUFF!"

To get the race on.

Problem with that Max is that you and me are the slowest ones in the bunch.

Even if the bear caught you first he would finish lunch and catch me for supper before I was out of sight!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Problem with that Max is that you and me are the slowest ones in the bunch.

Even if the bear caught you first he would finish lunch and catch me for supper before I was out of sight!
    LMAO! Awwww the truth hurts.

I don't know. At our age it might be best to just sit down and wait. Given the choice of running and being eaten by a bear....that bear thing is looking better and better.

Bwahaha! I tried to run after our puppy at the last camp when he got loose. I still have a pulled muscle in my buttocks.

Seriously, though, running is the last thing you want to do (although it could come to that. Bears are not as slow as they look and they can (and will) track you for miles.

Wolf, seriously, this is all in jest with us concerning our behavior toward bears.

I have read all the bear advisories, all the info posted by every vegan backpacker on the trail. How to act, how to react, how to crawl out of the woods after being mauled.

I guarantee that if Max and I were confronted by an angry bear in the open woodlands the poor creature would think the gates of he!! had opened.

Some people see bear as a photo op, some see them as a meal going to waste.

That crawling out of the wilderness thing seems like a cool trick. DeCaprio did a decent job on that.

I've had bear and I'd have to be pretty hungry to do it again.

You're supposed to cook it, you know. It ain't like sushi.

Sometimes ya catch the bar...
    Sometimes the bar catches you.

Always carry.