Thread: epileptic dog

Default epileptic dog

I have a english mastiff with epilepsy. It's a horrible thing to see a 180 pound dog go through a seizure. We have him on keppra and phena barbitrol. This has been working for him. The vet had him on keppra twice a day and he still had seizures so they added the phena barbitrol and so far that has prevented any more seizures. He such is a nice dog, not really good for anything other than companionship.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

It's tough to watch our best friends when they're ill. Max got colitis once and we felt so bad for him. He didn't know what was going on. It was a relief when the meds kicked in and he began to get back to his usual self. I hope the meds continue to work for your dog.

I do as well....
    If a few may remember the 2013 Jamboree....we had "Maggie" along....was 12 years old big overweight lab that still thought she was a lap dog...and was a good cuddler on a cold night.
    While there she stayed by our tent.....had many problems....she couldn't see,... so was kinda grumpy around strangers.

Blind (cataracts), allergies,arthritis ,... so had steroids and other meds to the tune of $300 per month....

She was my BIL's dog, that had passed away......I had committed to care for her, as she was part of the family since a puppy..and had spent a lot of time with us.
    Eventually all that caught up with her and she went to wait by the bridge with our other fur kids.

I feel the heart tug and know how you feel......but she did kinda let us know, that she wasn't having fun anymore....and was OK to say goodby.
    Some time you have to do the right thing for them....and you will know it.
    What else can I say......?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I was over at my daughters this morning and she told me her dog needs surgery. It has a torn ACL. I was like, does it play sports? Did it tear it sliding into third? How does a dog tear an ACL? Goofy dog is limping around. Personally, I think it's going for a lawsuit.

Yup, torn ACL. we just had surgery on our yorkie for that. I would have not thought a small dog would get something like that but it's common in dogs that size.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Comes from sliding around the kitchen door and slamming into the food dish!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

yup and he is too small to make much of a snack so we figured to fix him up instead

We know a woman in ATL that is normal in all ways except animals. She will do ANYTHING to save ANY animal. She always has foster animals waiting to find them a home. She pays a lady to come in twice a day to walk the dogs and "interact" with the animals to prevent "separation anxiety". She has a bird that swears like a sailor, dogs, cats, and... the rabbit. The rabbit's hips went. Fixed they cost 4 grand... apiece. Loves her animals.

Heck! I doubt if I could find anyone to fix my hips for 4 grand! There's a few that would if they had it but I don't know anybody like that.

Luckily, I don't need to get my hips fixed yet.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Wolf - Run over to that ladies house and hop around the yard. Maybe you can get her to fix them for free. Just listen up for the word Neuter.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    We know a woman in ATL that is normal in all ways except animals. She will do ANYTHING to save ANY animal. She always has foster animals waiting to find them a home. She pays a lady to come in twice a day to walk the dogs and "interact" with the animals to prevent "separation anxiety". She has a bird that swears like a sailor, dogs, cats, and... the rabbit. The rabbit's hips went. Fixed they cost 4 grand... apiece. Loves her animals.
    You can call me cruel all you want, but when a rabbit needs any type of medical treatment... it is time to say goodbye and to become dog food. Dogs love rabbit popsicles. Same with chickens.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Dog? I have to hold myself back from all these little furballs in my yard. My hindbrain says tasty - but my forebrain says, "C... will kill me."

Aye, Rick. I'd be worried she'd have the wrong thing fixed.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.