Thread: Greetings!

Default Greetings!

Merry meet!

My name is Hamelden, and I'm a twenty-two year old male; I was born in the heart of Alaska, but I was raised in Deltana about a hundred miles south. I'm not currently employed, and I'm not looking for work at the moment, but in the past I was a wildland firefighter, an FFT2; I did that for approximately three years; before that I was a stock-boy at Napa Auto Parts. I have a little bit of First Aid Training, but it's super basic; I plan on becoming much more knowledgeable in the area of medicine, healing arts, and herbal remedies. From my father, I received a fair amount of military training, primarily SERE training, Krav Maga, and Urban Survival; he used to be in the Navy. He tried teaching me how to shoot, but I never really took to it I never really liked guns, and that kinda bugs him a lot haha. Guns just seem too loud, crude, and unfair to me; it takes the Magick out of hunting to me; I'd rather use a bow and arrow, or a spear. I kind of feel the same way about traps and snares; it somehow just feels crude, unfair, and disrespectful. For small game animals I'd rather use a sling and a stone; for medium sized game like dear and wolves, I'd rather use a bow and arrow, for big game animals like bear and elephant, I'd rather use a spear, about twelve feet long and maybe a couple inches in diameter. I'd probably use a smaller sized spear for fishing; I feel the same way about fishing poles as I do about guns and traps haha.

I don't have much experience surviving alone in the wilderness with limited supplies though; I've read some books and know some theories, but I have yet to truly put those theories to the test. My longest duration in the wilderness was as a child; my family lived in a primitive camp for about a year on a large lake; to get back to civilization was about a mile by lake, four miles by creek, and three miles by river, then sixty miles by road.

I'd say my level of experience is Novice, and my Preparedness Planning is probably like Type 0, Level 0 hahaha. XD

My interests and hobbies include Reading, Writing, Art, Science, Martial Arts, Philosophy, Wicca/Witchcraft, Theology, Puzzles, Magic Tricks, the Paranormal, Extraterrestrials, Ancient Mysteries, Tales of the Weird and Unexplained.

Why am I here now? I'm here to learn more about total self-sufficiency; how to not just survive, but thrive in the wilderness; my end-goal is to be able to get dropped off just about anywhere on the planet butt naked, and be able to survive long enough to make my own metal tools and weapons and build a luxurious, Magickal cottage from raw local materials alone. Next year at Samhain I want to walk skyclad into the wilderness to complete my Year and a Day; the traditional initiatory period for new Witches. The Year and a Day is meant to re-connect the initiate to the God and Goddess. Modern day witches don't typically go on "Vision Quests" like this, but I don't want to be like most witches; I want to do things the way my ancestors did, the way of the ancients in the Craft of the Wise. Traditionally, the tools of witchcraft were made by hand by the witches themselves; they made a huge ritual/ceremony when crafting their tools. The primary tools I need to learn how to make are as follows: Book of Shadows, Athame, Wand, Chalice, and Pentacle; other items include the Bell, Candles, Statues, Altar Cloths, Bowls, Besom, and Cauldron. Not to mention Ink, Quill Pens, Paint, Glue, Paper, and miscellaneous items. A kiln, forge and bloomery will be crucial, so learning how to find and process clay in the wilderness as well as making bricks will also have to be subject areas I have to learn.

And after ALL THAT, only then can I actually begin to learn how to perform Witchcraft/Magick. Within mainstream society and civilization though, I just don't think it's possible or likely to be able to use magick due to all the electrical buzzing and noise of everyday life; hardly ever any serenity to slow down and look within. Too much negativity these days; taints the soul.

Blessed be!
    Last edited by Hamelden; 09-09-2017 at 05:34 AM.
    "An ye harm none, do as ye will."

--The Wiccan Rede

Okay. Well, there is that whole skyclad walking thing. Sure. Why not. Have you ever actually poked a bear with a 12 foot pole? You might want to start with a longer pole. A much, much longer pole and see how that goes.

Welcome and good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Haha, no, Rick, I've never actually poked a bear with a twelve foot pole. XD There wouldn't be much "poking" involved though; my strategy would be to get the bear to charge at me, ideally while standing in front of a large boulder, or a large tree; at the bottom of a sheer face cliff would do, too. Once the bear starts charging, I'd get into position, slamming the butt end of the spear as deep into the Earth as I can at a forty-five degree angle towards the bear. I'll have a small window before the bear is upon me to leap out of the way as it impales itself upon the spear. Twelve feet is long enough; I'm not a very big person; too much longer of a spear would make it too difficult to hold perpendicular as the bear is charging, not to mention the structural integrity of the spear might start becoming compromised if it were too much longer; it would already be over half as tall as I am haha.

Another method involves baiting a bear towards the base of a tree, while you lie in wait in the branches with your spear, then drop the spear down on top of the bear. That kinda seems like a cheap shot to me though; unfair and disrespectful. With the previous technique, there feels to me to be more of a balance, and it's more Magickal because you have to become One with the bear; finding the right bear, following it for weeks, getting to know it's habits and everything else you can about him, then feeling his emotions and muscles within yourself as he begins the charge to feel the precise moment when you need to make the leap; it's a sacred bond between man and beast, God and Goddess, Yin and Yang; everything is connected and a part of everything else. It's a relationship of the most intimate order. In most ancient pagan traditions, a hunt was done with extreme reverence and respect for the animal, and a great ceremony was held before and after each hunt; the first ritual being a form of "Sympathetic Magick" which works off the principal that like-things attract other like-things, "The Law of Attraction" is a more modernized version of it, but it's essentially the same thing. The tribe would build a large earthen clay model of the animal in which they intended to hunt, and then they'd dress up in masks resembling the animal. They'd then dance and sing and drink and feast before the grand finale: The hunters of the tribe would begin to "attack" the large clay model of the animal they were going to hunt, smashing it apart with the belief that the symbolism of a successful hunt done during Ritual would send out that energy into the universe, (usually via bonfire), ultimately leading to a successful hunt on the REAL hunt.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Crashdive.

Blessed be!
    "An ye harm none, do as ye will."

--The Wiccan Rede

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Don't need luck,

He's got magick,

With a K!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yea sorry, magick don't feed my kids and it wont feed you either. You live in the perfect place to learn survival. And survival doesn't mean being dropped bare assed naked in the middle of no where. Survival means to have enough brains to have clothes on, and plenty of bug dope. There is a lot of energy to be had from this area, you don't have to be a minimalist to get it. Just go for a hike. Make sure to tell someone where you are going. Go camping with your friends. Practice making fires and setting up camp in your backyard.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Hunter63 Saying Hey and Welcome....
    Good luck with your plans.......
    Stay on the couch, and study......You will be fine.....At least you can hit "Reset, Play again"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27