Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Irma

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

FM, check Craigslist for used boats. You can get some real deals.

The two happiest days of a boat owner's life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat.

Used boats are cheap, used motors not so much.

Do not close your mind to boats other than the "john boat". In my area you can pick up a good 16' runabout w/trailer for $200-$300. That would move the whole family out during a flood. They are also a more stable fishing platform than a John boat.

A motor will set you back at least $500.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

So we had 48 hours of no power. Piece of cake because we had no damage and very little debris. I made it to my next door neighbors Mon morning against my better judgement to get coffee to them. They were tired and scared (Peak of the storm.) But no one was hungry. That came later. Oh and instead of three there were five. Refugees from church that live in a mobile home. Another trip back and forth with coffee. Couldn't make it to my MIL and SIL's across town. And no cell phone service. Found out later they went across the street to a big house of a friends. They were most grateful for someone else to be with. Kelly went over there Tues morning and this morning with coffee. They said they didn't need any food but I'm pretty sure we'll have them here this afternoon for showers and some hot food. I bet they don't get electricity for a while.

Got TV and internet back about 1:15 pm today. My ex-Marine neighbor behind me prepared well EXCEPT his genny shut off Mon due to low oil. I was able to help him out with a few quarts.

Been saying a lot of thank you's and sending praise to the Man upstairs.
    Last edited by madmax; 09-13-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Here's the bob camping equipment.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-rescue.html
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    So we had 48 hours of no power. Piece of cake because we had no damage and very little debris. I made it to my next door neighbors Mon morning against my better judgement to get coffee to them. They were tired and scared (Peak of the storm.) But no one was hungry. That came later. Oh and instead of three there were five. Refugees from church that live in a mobile home. Another trip back and forth with coffee. Couldn't make it to my MIL and SIL's across town. And no cell phone service. Found out later they went across the street to a big house of a friends. They were most grateful for someone else to be with. Kelly went over there Tues morning and this morning with coffee. They said they didn't need any food but I'm pretty sure we'll have them here this afternoon for showers and some hot food. I bet they don't get electricity for a while.

Got TV and internet back about 1:15 pm today. My ex-Marine neighbor behind me prepared well EXCEPT his genny shut off Mon due to low oil. I was able to help him out with a few quarts.

Been saying a lot of thank you's and sending praise to the Man upstairs.
    Somebody showing up with hot coffee on a good day is a fantastic thing. On the morning after a hurricane it's an Angel of The Lord bringing manna from heaven!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post

List.

• Smart Phone and backup cell phone
    • Recharging devices. Justin, Antigravity, 5InOne
    • Batteries: D, C, AA, AAA, 9volt
    • Generator. 6000W, Tailgators
    • DC/AC Inverter
    • 5 gal gasoline/day without power + plenty of 2 cycle oil.
    • 5 gal diesel for Kubota
    • 3 – 5 gal propane tanks. 2 – 7 gal propane tanks. Small bottle charger.
    • Fill all vehicles and other equipment
    • Two hand crank lanterns. One hand crank flashlight. Mag light. Two small unbreakable flashlights. One large unbreakable flashlight.
    • 2 people. One case of water per day without water. Potable water – 5 gal per day without water. Non-potable water – 5 gal per day without water.
    • Food. Sardines, crackers, canned goods, dry cereals, dehydrated foods,

Let me add something to your list seeings that we just had Irma go through here last weekend and we were without power for a couple days.

Ice, I froze as much bottle and jugs of water that my freezer could hold and had ample amounts of ice before Irma had come through. We had over a week notice. I had TONS of ice ready.

Candles for light at night. 2 or 3 candles makes a big difference between not seeing and seeing. There is nothing any darker than inside your home when there are no lights in the 'hood for miles around. I could not see my hand in front of my face laying in bed. We Could even play card and board games with the light they emitted.

I had a DC/AV inverter (you mentioned this) that I put to use the first time since purchasing it a couple years ago. It worked well charging up the phones while the car sat in the garage.

Biggest thing ever is to fill the bathtub up with water to flush toilets. Even if you never use it, you can still utilize the water to flush toilets instead of wasting it letting it go down the drain after the fact. Win/win deal there.

Coleman camp stove and extra fuel or a small propane grille to boil water for coffee. Believe me, I would have traded 500 rounds of .22 LR for a cup of coffee on Monday morning.

There are still people who place a running generator inside a home because they do not know any better. A 7 year old girl in Lakeland, FL died because her mother just didn't know any better.

Having fuel tanks in the cars topped off WAY ahead of gas lines. Nothing worse than spending all day in a line at the gas station and then they run of fuel out two cars ahead of yours.

As I've stated before, we are living in our camper while working on the house. It turned out to be a blessing during irma. We had all the comforts of a self contained small house. A/C, bathroom, lights, kitchen, TV... Living in a hurricane area, I'm going to keep a camper around after the house is finished. We had made evac plans if it looked like it might get bad.

I usually have 3 people living in my house. This storm saw, at peak 18 people in the house. In addition to 3 cats, 3 dogs, a miniature gerbil, a bearded dragon.

All of the people who stayed are my people and they all brought preps.

I never did lose power. Most of my friends now have power restored. Many, had power restored and then lost it again. But, most have power back on now. My daughter will be out of power for at least a week as they have to work on the underground power lines and they push that till the end. So the current count is 7 people and 3 dogs and a gerbil. LOL

A miniature gerbil?! Miniature? Isn't that like a tiny little? I mean they aren't that big to start with.

I stand corrected. It is a Chinese Dwarf Hamster.

Oh, well, that's different. WT? Shouldn't that be Oriental Little Person Hamster?

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I stand corrected. It is a Chinese Dwarf Hamster.
    Not much to eat .........y'all saving it for a last meal?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

hors d'oeuvre...........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Not much to eat .........y'all saving it for a last meal?
    Pitch it out back and catch a lunker snake head! LOL

Been a couple of days since the last posts here so I was wondering how you guys were holding out. This has turned into a long haul operation beyond the 72 hour kit recommended by the government!

Are the stores/shops back in operation, are the prep supplies holding out, do you need anything.

I will rent a U-Haul and head south if you folks need supplies.

No kidding, I will drive down there. I have shared campfires with you guys and do not intend to have you starve on my watch.

Looks like this next one might brush the east coast in a few days. Is everyone ready for that?

We seem to be ok and staying in touch with one another pretty well. I had everything come on then the cable and wifi went out again for 2 1/2 days. Yeah boo hoo. Folks still with power in some places.

Good stories coming out of this. The long line of women waiting to take linesmen's clothes home to wash is just one example.

Thanks for the thoughts and offer.

We're good. Still about 10,000 without power in the area. We were without water for a bit. Rain barrel for flushing and about 100 gallons of drinking water available, so no worries.

So much firewood available and so little storage. This winter I'll be burning Matthew and Irma is for next winter.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    As I've stated before, we are living in our camper while working on the house. It turned out to be a blessing during irma. We had all the comforts of a self contained small house. A/C, bathroom, lights, kitchen, TV... Living in a hurricane area, I'm going to keep a camper around after the house is finished. We had made evac plans if it looked like it might get bad.
    All this talk and trying to get a newbie set up for emergency living has got me wanting to do some patch up work on the RV out back. A new floor and some fresh carpet and I would be set up for self contained life with a simple turn of the door key and cranking open the propane tank valve.

Actually a new solar panel on the roof would be a nice touch too. Along with replacing all the old light bulbs with LED bulbs and I could power the whole thing on a 1500w inverter.

In other words, for about 15K you'd have a pull behind trailer?

Come to think of it you are about right.

New floor, new coating on the roof, and new cabinets, a new poo-cart, running a water hose and repair of any cracks and leaks I am sure the water system has developed. We are talking about two weeks work and a couple thousand $$$.

And there is that matter of finding the snake that is living in there.

A good used one would be cheaper.

Oh, yeah. You did say something about a giant snake skin.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.