Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Irma

Any one have gas stored for the trip out?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Don't plan on leaving (but ready to if need be). All vehicles topped of, gas in containers (ethanol free) rotated and fresh. If we have to leave a few cans will go in the truck.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Might more need gas and oil mix for Chain Saws just to go anywhere?
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

I have been busy getting mine and others houses battoned down. We are good to go.

I got gas on Tuesday and with the 36 gallon tank I was down to 3/4 of a tank yesterday. Lines had been pretty long. And most of the stations had shrink wrapped their pumps in prep for the storm. I found a gas station with very short lines and topped off again.

Since last weekend supplies have been scarce. Everything, canned goods, water, beer, everything has been gone. Plywood and generators especially.

Looks like we dodged a bullet again. Just tightened up my game for the next time! Y'all be safe!

Crash, I have 2) EU2000 as well as a 8550/5550 watt. Those Hondas are awesome.

Our Honda is a EB6500. Got it dug out from under all the accumulated stuff. Maybe try and crank it today.
    Last edited by madmax; 09-09-2017 at 10:36 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I was at Harbor Freight this afternoon.

Young man about 25 in a 1 ton dualey was loading up two 5k generators.

He said he had been "sent for" by grandparents and an uncle to bring gen-sets down from up here as soon as the storm passed.

He seemed to think it was really neat that people in Florida could wire transfer money directly into is account so he could buy almost $1200 of HF gear on his credit card.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm not religious nor a praying man, but I wish all of you well that are in the path of Irma and can't get out of the way. I wish you all good luck, and maybe the region will catch a break. It looks to be a bad one so hopefully everyone has had a chance to batten down the hatches and get ready.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I was at Harbor Freight this afternoon.

Young man about 25 in a 1 ton dualey was loading up two 5k generators.

He said he had been "sent for" by grandparents and an uncle to bring gen-sets down from up here as soon as the storm passed.

He seemed to think it was really neat that people in Florida could wire transfer money directly into is account so he could buy almost $1200 of HF gear on his credit card.
    He'd better buy a few fuel cans full of fuel as well if he's planning on taking them in his 1 ton. I had one back in the 80s and it would pass anything on the road except a gas station.

Alan

Weak outer bands of drizzle hitting Ocala (Marion county) right now. Not much wind. They want everyone off the roads by 3.

I'm grinding coffee, filling 1 gal baggies to put in freezer for ice and water, starting to fill 6 gal water coolers. I found a pie crust. I might make a chocolate pudding pie while the fridge is still fridging. (Well we HAVE to finish it all or it won't be any good).
    Last edited by madmax; 09-10-2017 at 10:40 AM.

After several power outages in past years....we have cut down on frozen food...
    Fine line between a "well stocked freezer" as a Prep....and a neighborhood BBQ to use it up....(Oh and 20 loaves of zucchini bread)

Yeah. Our freezer has a lot more ice than food right now.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I had a neighbor that made the decision to use his small generator to provide lights and TV rather than run his deep freezer several years back.

He is still whining over the $2k of food he lost and I am constantly telling him it was a choice he made and not the fault of the power company.

$2k will buy one he!! of a generator!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I just wish this lady would move along already!So far I lost the fence on almost one entire side of the house.

The short term mentality of people. It must be wishful thinking to think that everything will be back to normal after a day or two. My FIL says he will get more gas for the generator if he needs it. I'm thinking yea and a few thousand people wanting the same thing at the same time. Ain't going to happen.

Conserve everything. You'll have at least a week of not being able to get anything.

Alan

I'm facing the situation that preppers talk about. 5 people that are close family and friends. 4 elderly and disabled 1 that is not functional on her own. None would go to a shelter. They all have prepped for about 24 hours of no electricity despite my urging to get more. They have no way to cook a meal. Not nearly enough water. I pray they at least stocked up on their meds.

I'm prepped well for 2 not 7. They are split between opposite sides of town. Hopefully we won't lose water pressure or go under a "boil water" alert (Since they have no means of boiling water).

I'm pleased that we still have power. About 20,000 to 30,000 in the area are without it. Impressive winds and lots of rain (about 13 inches so far). We're supposed to get the worst of it in the early morning. Enough food and water for quite some time. I also have a list of neighbors that I need to deliver morning coffee to if the power is out. Hopefully this will be just camping with a comfortable bed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Stay safe guys!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Stay safe guys!!!!!
    Amen to that...looks nasty on the news.

I found that no matter how bad it looks at night…. it'll look worse in the morning. Hoping for the best for all y'all.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 09-10-2017 at 10:16 PM.