Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something new......Grapes

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I'm not sure foraging at the wine shop is really considered ''foraging''

Made a good sized batch of grape jelly yesterday too.
    How about Costco?.......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

yes, the easy lazy way to make wine is toss some yeast of your choice or bread yeast in some concentrated grape juice you made. Let it brew a while then put it in a bottle with a loose cap or bubbler on it. It's hard to fail with grape juice. Just don't put the top on tight too soon and make a bomb or leave it loose too long and make vinegar. The finer details, recipes and additives you'll pick up as you go along.

Made 2 gallons for raisin wine many years ago.......
    Funny part was ....when a friend and I bottles it up....only had 7 quarts....Hummmm?
    Of course we had to taste it.... right?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Eh, I had the grapes, the yeast is a buck a pack and my aunt bought me a 5gallon kit for Christmas several years ago (for cider really, but it works for wine.)
    I'll have the grapes in the secondary in time for a batch of unpasturized pressed apple juice. They sell it at a local orchard. You have to sign a waiver to buy it. A few more years and the money spent on apple juice could have been invested in a semi-decent crusher/press, LOL. I keep hinting to my aunt...but that ain't gonna fly.
    It's a good skill to have come TEOTWAWKI, right?
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant