LetMeKnow, Crash!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

born 100 years to late - buttercup's Avatar

Default butter

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Okay, Mother Earth News says the cream has to sit for 12 hours "(or until the cream is about 75°F and smells slightly sour). This is called ripening-or developing the acid content of-the cream. (Only ripened cream will produce butter with a good "butter flavor".)"

Learned something again today. Thanks LTLG!!

I have made butter for years and never left mine out on the counter to sour and my butter has wonderful 'butter flavor'. I have a Dazey hand-crank churn with a glass jar that came from my husband's side of the family and love it. What I made in the past was from cow's milk. When I began getting the goat milk recently (which I love) everyone said you can't get enough cream from that milk to churn..........yes, you can. At least the goat milk I get from my source is rich in cream.
    If you love to read, visit -
    http://www.authorsden.com/mardapp

Well, I made butter this morning. I finally track down some heavy cream that wasn't Ultra-Pasturized. I didn't let it sit out and sour. I assume this process is meant to extend the life of the butter by taking as much liquid out as possible. I used a pint of cream for my first time so I didn't end up with a tremendous amount of butter. About double the pint and it turned out fine. It's butter and it tastes fine.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaveThisLifeGuy View Post
    cheese is next on the list. just gotta figure out what to do with buttermilk, then it's off to acquire fresh milk to do the whole process-cheese, butter, buttermilk. then i'll know what to do with a cow and its milk!
    Yogurt cheese is extremely easy to make and versatile as well.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

i have churned many ,many pounds of butter by hand, in a stoneware churn.

thres nothing like the taste if fresh churned butter.
    I'm sweet as sugar but tough as nails.

Starving Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Tony uk View Post
    Butter, Its best use, In Mashed Potatos, Food of the Gods i Tells Ya !!
    Potatoes are nothing more than an excuse to eat massive quantities of Butter!
    Dennis K.
    Not all who wander are lost.
    www.AnthemBrass.com

Butter is a food? or can be used on food? Dang! Next thing you'll be telling me is whipped cream can too......naahhhh..
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Starving Artist

Here is some information on cheese making:

4 cheese recipes in the first one:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...e-Recipes.aspx

Sweet Cheese recipe:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...et-Cheese.aspx
    Rick -
    here's another site you might find interesting for cheese making. Fascinating website, too:

http://schmidling.com/making.htm
    Dennis K.
    www.AnthemBrass.com

Thanks, Dennis. I actually saw that web site but there was a posting on it that excluded me.

"From the end of Pasteurization till eating, nothing should be allowed to contact the cheese that has not been properly sanitized."

I don't think I have been so I skipped it. Besides, that sounds awfully painful.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Starving Artist

... Besides, that sounds awfully painful.
    It's not easy, bein' cheesey...
    Dennis K.
    www.AnthemBrass.com

born 100 years to late - buttercup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Churned alot of butter when I was growing up,skimmed the cream off the top of the fresh milk,and let it "sour" on the counter a few days,then poured it into the churn and in no time it was butter,sold tons of that stuff,but I never could get the taste for "fresh" butter,or butter milk
    I have an old churn that came down through the family and churned every Saturday when we had the dairy farm. Lately, not as often but still use the churn. I skimmed the cream all week off the fresh milk brought in from the barn but I always kept mine in the refrigerator; I prefer sweet churned butter instead of the sour and never left mine out to sour.
    If you love to read, visit -
    http://www.authorsden.com/mardapp

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup View Post
    I have an old churn that came down through the family and churned every Saturday when we had the dairy farm. Lately, not as often but still use the churn. I skimmed the cream all week off the fresh milk brought in from the barn but I always kept mine in the refrigerator; I prefer sweet churned butter instead of the sour and never left mine out to sour.
    I only remember trying it once,and I did not like the taste at all,I churned ALOT of it,never would eat it.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup View Post
    i prefer sweet butter also and never allowed the cream to sour. it was kept in a jar in the fridge until there was enough to churn.

i dont know, but it kinda seems like if ya let it sour it would taste bad to me.i dont care for buttermilk either.
    I'm sweet as sugar but tough as nails.