Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Genset......Dead.

Probably get a good price for one.

All that is really looking really gnarly.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Ryobi makes a generator that is ALMOST as quiet as those little Hondas, and if I remember right they are set up to be daisy chained together if need be. I think they're about half the price of the honda

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    Ryobi makes a generator that is ALMOST as quiet as those little Hondas, and if I remember right they are set up to be daisy chained together if need be. I think they're about half the price of the honda
    Cool....Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    My brother bought a Ryobi. It isn't quite as easy to start as the Honda. Sometimes takes more than 3 pulls. It is quite and Sean said yesterday that he is going to buy a second one.

When you get back to camp with temps in the mid 90's and humidity to match. A fan makes all the difference in the world. Used to just sit in the truck. We use to Lasko squirrel cage fans. http://http://www.laskoproducts.com/...-model-u15701/

Update.......
    Stopped by Harbor Freight to day a purchased a "Predator 4000..."
    https://www.harborfreight.com/4000-m...arb-69675.html

Was an instore special....$299 bucks......(listed at $329).
    One reason I went with it is that it does look almost identical to the dead unit with bad carb and gas valve.....

Looking at the new unit manual....list them on the parts list....with a 800 number.

So, satisfies my need for now...with possibility of getting the old unit back up.....(runs great on starter fluid...just no gas getting thru)

Another option is a horizontal shaft motor that looks like it may fit...... for $90 bucks....

They had a lot....was surprised......

Why buy a carb ? Just adapt the old unit to propane.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Why buy a carb ? Just adapt the old unit to propane.

Always an option....actually looked a dual fuel unit....but was bigger....I don't need bigger I just need to run a pole saw and have a back up to the 7000w units...
    Is there a kit available?

They had a 900 watt unit on sale was well, but was a 2 cycle....and running watts is only 700w....my Remington pole saw runs almost that @ 8 amps....is a little over 800 watts...so figured not heavy enough.

Was on sale w/coupon for $90 bucks...
    https://www.harborfreight.com/900-ma...arb-63025.html

I bought one of those little ones, a "tailgater" for $80 or $90 at HF in July. I was going to use it for camping but loaned it to my neighbor after the storm. It kept his freezer running for the days we were out of power. #3 son used my other small generator for the same purpose. My neighbor returned the one I loaned him but #3 son has yet to bring that one back. Funny how that works, huh? I lose more stuff like that. 3 sons. There for a while I just bought 4 of everything I wanted…

My bigger one is a 6 or 7000W (I can't remember and don't really care) and it works better right now than it did when it was new.

Some years ago I bought a 2000W power inverter and put it in my truck. It worked great for camping, ran a little electric chainsaw on a 50 ft cord, a coffee pot, and on Friday nights the coach that videoed the football games would put together the films for the next day while we wet driving back from the game. I took it out of my old truck but haven't put it in the new one yet.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    I bought one of those little ones, a "tailgater" for $80 or $90 at HF in July. I was going to use it for camping but loaned it to my neighbor after the storm. It kept his freezer running for the days we were out of power. #3 son used my other small generator for the same purpose. My neighbor returned the one I loaned him but #3 son has yet to bring that one back. Funny how that works, huh? I lose more stuff like that. 3 sons. There for a while I just bought 4 of everything I wanted…

My bigger one is a 6 or 7000W (I can't remember and don't really care) and it works better right now than it did when it was new.

Some years ago I bought a 2000W power inverter and put it in my truck. It worked great for camping, ran a little electric chainsaw on a 50 ft cord, a coffee pot, and on Friday nights the coach that videoed the football games would put together the films for the next day while we wet driving back from the game. I took it out of my old truck but haven't put it in the new one yet.

Alan
    Think a "Tailgater " will run a 8 amp pole saw?

That would be 960 watts. What is the invertor rated for? 120X8=960 VXA=W

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

My little HF generator of that same design is rated at 1050w, but it is a little older.

It has the advantage of running for way longer on a tank of fuel than my 2500w unit, which drinks gas at an alarming rate and has a small tank on top of that.

I built a house using the 2500w unit as power source so I know that will power any small tools available.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That would be 960 watts. What is the invertor rated for? 120X8=960 VXA=W
    I was using .8 as a power factor...

Current amps......8
    voltage A/c.........120
    Power factor........ .8 Induction motor full load 0.85

watts...............= 768w ....................................... =816w
    http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/elec...Calculator.htm

Taking into consideration that most any listed "rating" is 30% (or more) Less than actual.

Figured I'd may be OK, but close.
    If use is intermittent(saw)..... startup induction motor amperage, can be 5 times the listed running amps.......and I was not going to run continuously....starting and stopping.....figured it may bog down on starting.

Still considering one for a backup up the back up ...lol.
    Then again on the other hand may be another machine with gas that needs to be fought with.......LOL

Funny part is....Original Job.....trim branches over sheds and trails, at "The Place"......with electric pole saw...using my genset in trailer, has been resolved by stopping into the saloon...buying a few beers with friends......who stopped by with a High lift LULL fork truck... and a couple of saws....
    Took less than 2 hours to take down 3 trees didn't fool with trimming, just took down the trees that had the offending branches over the sheds and trails.
    No need to worry about those trees........

Morel to the story.....if you need something done,..... head down to the saloon, talk it up and by some beers....stuff gets done.
    If some one there can't do the job...they know or are related to someone that can....
    Might take a couple of trips ....but hey....

Up date to the update....
    Picked up a tailgater ......from Farm and Fleet..... 1000w 2 cycle getset for $80 bucks.....
    PowerPro 900w 1000w.

Tried it out and does bog at start of the chain saw a bit....but gets back up to speed pretty quick....

Specifications

Starting Watts:1000W
    Fuel Capacity:1 Gallon
    Noise Level:60 dB
    Type: Gas
    Running Watts: 900W
    A/C Voltage: 7.5A
    Engine Displacement: 63cc
    Weight: 40 lb

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...EaAhH8EALw_wcB

Ran it about an hour to check it out.....
    I'm thinking will be fine for my portable pole saw....

THen DW show me tha Menards sunday flyer.....
    Greenworks 40v battery pole saw....LOL

Amazon actually has it cheaper....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CTGSSKM...a-343952020004

Why didn't I know this 3 week ago....
    Then again would be another weird battery 40 v....that spares probably $100 bucks.

Think I'll pass....

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I got to thinking about the needed wattage for my place now that I have changed totally to LED bulbs. I can run every light in the house now on the power it once took to keep one porch light burning.

2500w will power all my lights and the fridge. In an emergency I would have the fridge off line and the food in a cooler anyway.

If it were summer a couple of fans and the electric lights for a while at night might be a comfort but if it were winter and the outage due to one of our blizzards I would have the Coleman lanterns cranked up just for the heat output.

How long will that little 2-cycle gen-set run on a tank of fuel Hunter?

I have one but have never run it dry and have never timed the fuel consumption. I do know it goes a long time on a fill up.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

The down side to all of this is trying to run AC on a genset during a heat wave. A compressor is not happy running on a generator. They rattle and bang something horrible on one. Even a small AC unit is not happy on a genset.

Kyrat...
    Spec's say 5 hours on one gal......
    For my use should be fine.

Back to the Ryobi generator. My friend picked up a new one and it has a bluetooth app that lets you monitor the gas, set the idle and stop the generator from your phone. It also has a digital gauge showing fuel and current fuel consumption with estimated run time left based on teh fuel and consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Back to the Ryobi generator. My friend picked up a new one and it has a bluetooth app that lets you monitor the gas, set the idle and stop the generator from your phone. It also has a digital gauge showing fuel and current fuel consumption with estimated run time left based on teh fuel and consumption.
    That's cool....except my VCR is flashing 12:00, 12:00, 12:00.....
    That would be lost on me....with my Flip phone.

The people with the adapter to propane .

https://centuryfuelproducts.com/gene...onversion-kits

They will need the engine CCS and air filter mounting version.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    The people with the adapter to propane .

https://centuryfuelproducts.com/gene...onversion-kits

They will need the engine CCS and air filter mounting version.
    I wonder if it need an operating carburetor to work...?

Seems my problem is varnish in the float valve, or interior lines....I have never seen the inside of a bowl "'rust"....and of course being a Chinese unit...parts are impossible to find.

That 2000w unit has been replaced......so I do have a operating 3000w (it's bigger) that looks almost identical to the unit that down....going to see if can use the new parts book to get the 2000w back running.

They just happen to be 200 miles apart at the moment.......
    I's a round-tuit project..