Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Genset......Dead.

Default Chinese Genset......Dead.

I know that you get what you pay for....AND suffer frustration when something goes wrong.... AND ...Chinese power tools are generally a POS......
    BUT

I actually have had good luck with Harbor Freight power tools and appliances....come with a manual and phone
    number.
    Have called and receive parts in short order on several things including hydraulic line for the little wood splitter.

That said.....
    DW had purchased a 2000 w genset at Aldi's as a special for around $150 bucks....in 2005.

Has run good up till the season....
    Kinda like this...https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...697a8c3ewAbtTD

I keep it in the shed as a back up to the bigger Colman 7000 W unit...
    Was small enough to load in a trailer, pulled behind the 4 wheeler,.... and run a extended electric pole chain saw for cleaning low hanging limbs on the trails.

Soooo
    A few branches....so dug it out.....Generally keep it stored empty....just a small amount of old gas w/Stable.
    Dumped in some fresh gas...gave a shot of starter fluid...started and ran of a few seconds....and quit.

Started looking it over found the gas line had rotted....took off...replaced...(have spare).
    Retried...would run on the fluid...but was not getting gas....valve?
    Tried several positions on the valve...didn't seem like it was getting a good flow. ... then outlet fitting broke off.

Needed a new valve.....so on saturday , go to town day...stopped at my Stihl dealer...
    He laughed....Chinese POS....Nope...can't get parts.
    Hardware store did not have a fitting so looked like a new home made tank was in order.

Now before I went thru building one though I would make sure the carb was working.

No gas in the bowl.....
    Took it off, took of the bowl.....was pretty dry and was rusty(???) on the inside....Never seen that before.....

So started looking....and I can buy all the carb from China for 3.6 -5.2 USD....
    If I could figure out which one in need.
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...2bd13975DvDl7b

I thinking "door stop"
    Then again, worked good for 12 years for $150 bucks....Hummmm

I hate not being able to fix stuff....To be put on hold for now...
    Te next one will be a Honda...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have a 6000W Harbor Freight special. It just got me through its second hurricane. It quit once because it was low on oil. Added oil and cranked it up again.

The only thing the newer ones have that is better is the muffler. Mine sounds like a cotton gin.

You might not be able to get a new carb or even a carb kit but I'll bet one of the shade tree lawn mower repair guys can get it cleaned out and going for $20.

Alan

Or soak it in some kind of penetrating oil that won't dissolve the seals and blow it out. Remember to take that little rubber seal out of where the needle valve seats before you blow it out. They are really hard to find after 120 psi hits them.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Or soak it in some kind of penetrating oil that won't dissolve the seals and blow it out. Remember to take that little rubber seal out of where the needle valve seats before you blow it out. They are really hard to find after 120 psi hits them.

Alan
    LOL.....No Ship?.....
    Gonna soak it some more already has it all apart cleaned with carb cleaner....but seem gas won't flow thru the float valve....bowl stays.
    dry.
    Used a plastic mustard squirt bottle ....Tank still need to be repaired... with a line...so I could see if the was gas flowing......and put some pressure on it.
    I'm just pizzed off at it, right now....so thought I would stop before I shoot it full of holes......LOL

Just looked at a Honda 2000w $2K.....sooo, maybe another cheapo now.
    Besides....
    I'm gonna guess every genset in the country is headed for Texas right now.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Every genset and every piece of plywood and OSB and you will not be able to find drywall if your life depended on it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Looked at gas pole chainsaws......$400 up....
    Guess I gonna use the hand saw....LOL
    I just do one a day and take a nap.

After living on generators last for over a week after Hurricane Matthew last year, I am definitely getting the Honda EU2000i. They run about $1000. It really is all we need. Currently I've got two - a 6500 watt Troy Built and and 1850 watt Coleman. The Coleman ran a couple of lights, fans and refrigerator for two houses. The noise of a generator, while better than not having one is rather annoying. What sold me was a camping trip where somebody was running the Honda about 40 yards from my tent. Could barely hear it and it would run for about 10 hours on one gallon of fuel.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We are having a gasoline hoarding scare right now, and probably not without good reason. It seems the National Weather service keeps revising the path of Irma to the south where it will come into the Gulf.

Alan

Even places relatively unaffected by the storm are having gas scares. It's really kind of an insanity. People fill up, then drive around looking for gas stations with gas.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    After living on generators last for over a week after Hurricane Matthew last year, I am definitely getting the Honda EU2000i. They run about $1000. It really is all we need. Currently I've got two - a 6500 watt Troy Built and and 1850 watt Coleman. The Coleman ran a couple of lights, fans and refrigerator for two houses. The noise of a generator, while better than not having one is rather annoying. What sold me was a camping trip where somebody was running the Honda about 40 yards from my tent. Could barely hear it and it would run for about 10 hours on one gallon of fuel.
    That is the Honda I was referring to....That would be portable enough to carry around....
    And yeah, they are quite......

I probably won't be getting one right away. The entire state of Florida was just placed under a state of emergency. Not sure where Irma is going, but we are in full prep mode now.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I probably won't be getting one right away. The entire state of Florida was just placed under a state of emergency. Not sure where Irma is going, but we are in full prep mode now.
    I Imagine you've done this before. Good luck.

Alan

Thanks. Yeah, pretty much ready. Cat 3 or under we are staying. If it's a Cat 4 we're hitting the road as early as we can. Have to cancel our lake cabin reservations for next week.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If we get another one (Cat 1+) here, #1 wife is taking the DILs and all the grand babies to our place in Kerrville. It's way inland and pretty much out of the path altogether. I'll stay and I guess #1 and #3 sons will make up their own minds. My sister in Houston will leave if the damn thing makes it to the Gulf. She's had enough hurricane to last a lifetime at this point. Now we up the ante to a full fledged cat 4 or 5 and I might be persuaded to slip the Tundra in to 4 wheel drive and hit the bar ditch on the interstate. We won't have water problems here but 130+ winds are not something to play around with. If it keeps drifting south it may just scrub Cuba real good and give y'all some rain. It seems to be moving much faster than pokey old Harvey and will zip on through.

That's when we will have a problem. When they get into the Gulf everybody's ears perk up.

Alan

And, if that wasn't enough, there seems to be an area that is starting to rotate behind Irma……… Probably just some friendly old clouds.

Alan

Y'all keep your heads down......
    Was londa cloudy and hazy today....smoke from the Canadian wildfires...according to the news.

Any, sawed several branches down with the hand pole saw to day.....Now I remember why "I Hate That Saw"......Right up there with post hole diggers.
    Whole body exercise.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Just a thought Hunter, but is that 2000w set a vertical shaft motor?

I have one that uses a standard lawn mower type engine and has bitten the dust too. I just snagged a 5hp B&S engine still on a mower off craigslist for $40.

I am going to marry up the new engine as well as add a larger fuel tank to the set.

I have another generator so I am not in a big hurry. I will do it one of those "good days" when the back feels good.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thought of that.....May mess with it when I done being pizzed off....LOL

This is horizontal shaft....no idea what size ....but I have a older Clinton 5 HP from a shredder, and a 8 HP Briggs for a snow blower in the garage. ........so I see and old fashioned bubba fix project coming up.
    I still have the 2-7500w Colman gensets....one here at "The Place" the other at the city house.......

With the rest of the country needing them more than I...I gonna guess there won't be any sales for a while.

Interesting....side light....
    Stopped at the saloon Tuesday evening, ran into one of the farmers that crops the land (big family).....and he asked how everything was going.
    He also does construction, lawns, landscaping.....

Told him about my genny problems...and that I wanted it to run my pole saw....to trim a couple of big limbs over the sheds.......
    He said he saw the limbs when he was planting in front of the sheds...and said he would be over to give me a hand.

He and his brother showed up this morning with a LULL high lift fork truck and chainsaws....gotta love farmers with equipment parked all around.

2 hours two TREEs got cut and hauled off....no more limbs over the shed.....gotta love a bucket lift.
    Gonna owe them a beer.....but then again they do use my land......so is a perk.
    Now I don't need the genny....

I have been hanging around out here for 25 years...got to know a lot of people...and have done a lot of business at the saloon over the years....everyone knows or is related to someone....that can help you out.

Since it looks like a certainty that most of the city will lose power, I ordered the Honda last week. It should be here in time to give me a nice break from the noise of the other two generators.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

With Hurricane Jose following Irma (no idea for sure where its going yet) I should have no trouble selling one of the gen sets.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel