Thread: Slow Cooker Strategy for Cooking!

Default Slow Cooker Strategy for Cooking!

Slow cooker are cheap to buy and they offer more beneficial low-fat strategy for cooking.

Some people swear by them. Meh, just one more kitchen appliance I don't need. Things can slow cook in a dutch oven on the woodstove, or in the smoker, or on the regular stove, or in the oven - without cluttering the flat-space real estate of the kitchen/back porch.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Back when the kids were growing up the slow cooker was all that kept them alive!

I would put food in the crock pot and put it on low and let it cook all day. When I got home from work the beans, chili, stew, roast or whatever was done and ready for supper.

It did not clutter the kitchen, it was the kitchen. I used the crock pot more than I used the stove.

I do not use it as much any more. Perhaps once every two months or so, more in the winter. I am no longer cooking for a family.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

crock pots are awesome, especially for making up a batch of pinto beans
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Maybe you have to grow up with them. Mom didn't have one and neither did either of my grandmothers.

I do baked beans on an overnight cook. Usually in a low oven but occasionally in the smoker with other stuff.
    Stews go on a burner pad and cook all afternoon.
    Eh, whatever works.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

heck, I even use a thermos for a slow cooker.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

DW still uses one.....after a lot of "cook while you work" years......
    Only problem is....she makes the a full pot like she used to...cooking for 4....

Neighbors are the beneficiaries of overflow..... with "care packages".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I still use one when the kids are coming over for dinner. But that is a dozen times a year or so. Makes life a lot easier for me. Stews, roasts and the like. Like Kyrat said, especially in the winter when you can't grill or smoke something. I have a big 18 qt. roaster oven that I use the most when the kids come and a smaller 6 qt Crockpot.

especially in the winter when you can't grill or smoke something.
    Oh don't be silly. Just put on sock with your flip flops on those bitter cold days and grill like normal.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Months without grilled meat??? Can't do it.
    The grill and the smoker work all winter, but I might have to put on the boots and maybe the barncoat. Even with 3' of snow out there, there is always a trail trampled across the patio to those two kitchen accessories. My cheap POS smoker actually works better in the winter. One year not too long ago we had so much snow, the kettle grill was more like a firepit than a standup grill. I won't go out in a full on blizzard, but a few flurries or light snow never hurt anyone. And I love mystifying the neighbors. LOL. I'll be doing a smoked pork butt in the middle of February and the people out for their daily walk are like, "do you smell BBQ?''

Which reminds me I need to hit Wallyworld for charcoal. Ours usually has it in winter, but they tend to run low near the end of January. I always keep about 4 bags on hand. The chunk stuff, not the briquettes.

Besides, in the winter, the idea is to heat the house. Cooking is a bonus. Oven on low or the woodstove. Either works. Crock pot, not so much. Cleaning out the freezer for the fall fill-up, I made beef stew a couple weeks ago. It just doesn't taste as good when it's so hot outside.
    Last edited by LowKey; 09-03-2017 at 08:01 AM.

A slow cooker is a pot on the cool side of the wood Cook stove or on the wood heater in the winter . Smoker working in the winter? You bet ! That's when I do my pastrami as it is a cold smoked meat ( about 54 degrees ).

The term "smoker" these days has been usurped by the home BBQ crowd. Because my "smoker" has so many air leaks in it, it is easier to maintain a low-and-slow temp in mid-winter. LOL.

I haven't done cold smoking in decades. Had some hopes as this house had the remains of a stone smoker in the side of the back hill, would have just had to replace the pit, pipeline and roof, but the neighborhood association patrol says it's too close to the property line and can't be rebuilt (it was actually built as part of the boundary stone wall.) No, I didn't ask, but it was visible from the road when I cleared the brush away. (note to self, install higher shrubbery along road.)

I also use a crock pot for making chaga tea. I put some chaga and water in it and let it simmer. As I take the tea out, I then add water back into it. I've had it in use for 6 weeks at a time

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    The term "smoker" these days has been usurped by the home BBQ crowd. Because my "smoker" has so many air leaks in it, it is easier to maintain a low-and-slow temp in mid-winter. LOL.

I haven't done cold smoking in decades. Had some hopes as this house had the remains of a stone smoker in the side of the back hill, would have just had to replace the pit, pipeline and roof, but the neighborhood association patrol says it's too close to the property line and can't be rebuilt (it was actually built as part of the boundary stone wall.) No, I didn't ask, but it was visible from the road when I cleared the brush away. (note to self, install higher shrubbery along road.)
    I can see how that happened... "what you doing?" clearing off debris, "what's that? an original stone smoker... "you-re not going to use that!!!!" yes I am... "You cant! why not - my property.... "its too close to my house!" Don't worry, we have fire hydrants & I have a garden hose. "NO WAY! - I'm telling!"

Note to self .... next purchase - no homeowner's association ripping money out of my hard earned wallet, for the beautification committee.

SEND US A PICTURE!
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I still use one when the kids are coming over for dinner. But that is a dozen times a year or so. Makes life a lot easier for me. Stews, roasts and the like. Like Kyrat said, especially in the winter when you can't grill or smoke something. I have a big 18 qt. roaster oven that I use the most when the kids come and a smaller 6 qt Crockpot.

Don't be silly - get out there!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I work on the road living in hotels a lot. Picked up a electric slow cook pressure cooker. Cooks similar to crock pot, after cookies by for designate time it will reduce to warm for 12 hours or shut off what ever you decide. Been a great asset
    Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    crock pots are awesome, especially for making up a batch of pinto beans
    Ain't that the truth!

Mrs. JohnLee uses hers for that all the time. Refried beans (or, more properly, refritos) are her specialty. Got a recipe from a Mexican lady back when we lived in SoCal. Better than any Mexican restaurant, even ones with food we really like.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I made a pot of chili in mine last night.

Tomorrow has a big pot of green beans w/bacon and onions planned to go with the turkey for T-day.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    heck, I even use a thermos for a slow cooker.
    Yep, works good. For a bigger pot o beans, just boil up soaked beans 15 min, wrap up 3 inches thick in a wool or poly blankie (I use an old quilt from the thrift store) and let it slow cook away. After about 4 hours check it...if not totally cooked (mine usually are unless the beans were old) reboil to heat thru and re-wrap. Even hard to cook soybeans were tender after two wraps of 4 hrs each when I did it last. No heat in the kitchen...you can wrap several pots at once...no electricity required. You can find fireless cooker recipe books way back before the civil war even. A forgotten but useful skill.
    Last edited by kappydell; 04-16-2018 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling