Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger American 7.62x39

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Ruger American 7.62x39

Ruger finally read the mail.

They just released this and it is the best single idea they have had for 20 years.

Their economy platform in the most popular cartridge world wide.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/08/rug...#axzz4rLhiZH2B

I don't know about anyone else but my name will be on the waiting list. I have been waiting for either Ruger or Savage to do this. This move by Ruger will probably prompt Savage to do the same and I prefer the Savage rifle, which will also be $100 cheaper.

Now think about this....

California's new and more draconian laws have just gone into effect. Lots of AK rifles have just been lost in an alarming series of canoe wrecks!

All the while there is still the need for ammo in 7.62x39 even though the rifles no longer exist.

Suddenly, just in the nick of time, the Ruger Ranch Rifle in 7.62 firing from the mini-30 magazine arrives on the scene, giving shooters a reason to keep the flow of crates of 7.62x39 ammo flowing to California.

What an amazing coincidence!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-31-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I love my Mini 30. Have had it for quite some time and have done nothing but grown fonder of it over the years.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

About 2 a.m. the neighbors will be awakened by what sounds like an earthquake. They will rush outside to find a trail of weapons, reloading equipment, ammo and debris strewn down the Kentucky hillside finally coming to rest in the valley by the shooting range with you climbing out of the debris. I suggest a few dead men planted in the ground in front of the house to hold all the weight on the hill.

Never fear!

I have the house propped up with poles on the low side.

Every now and then one will snap in the middle of the night and wake me. I have to run out there and put another one in place. It is a constant hassle.

These hurricanes coming inland really mess me up! They make the ground all soggy and the poles sink into the ground.

in my search for a 308 mauser barrel I came across a 7.62x39 barrel with magazine follower for a small ring mauser. I though aha I have a couple actions, a few old stocks, for a mere 139.95 I could have a bolt action in 7.62x39. Throw in a little sweat equity and some dinking around too. but no way "out of stock"
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

So maybe I'll pick up the ruger instead.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

No one has the Ruger in stock yet. They just announced it about three days ago and I bet you will not find one to save your life in the next year.

I swear, if I was a VP at Savage I would go out in the shop and barrel one of their short action Axis rifles to 7.62x39 myself and have it sitting in the conference room Tuesday morning for a butt kicking session!

The Axis is a Lego platform just like the AR only a bolt action. A 7.62x39 barrel plugged into their short action like the .223 uses and a snap in magazine and it's done. They already have .30 caliber barrel stock threaded and stubbed for the Axis.

They could have it in production in two weeks and make a killing for the hunting season/Christmas sales.

$275 at Wallmart.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-01-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    No one has the Ruger in stock yet. They just announced it about three days ago and I bet you will not find one to save your life in the next year.

I swear, if I was a VP at Savage I would go out in the shop and barrel one of their short action Axis rifles to 7.62x39 myself and have it sitting in the conference room Tuesday morning for a butt kicking session!

The Axis is a Lego platform just like the AR only a bolt action. A 7.62x39 barrel plugged into their short action like the .223 uses and a snap in magazine and it's done. They already have .30 caliber barrel stock threaded and stubbed for the Axis.

They could have it in production in two weeks and make a killing for the hunting season/Christmas sales.

$275 at Wallmart.
    If it had open sights, Id go right down and buy one "just because I could!"

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    If it had open sights, Id go right down and buy one "just because I could!"
    If you are waiting for open sights you may never own another new rifle for the rest of our life!

Leaving those sights off the rifle deducts a solid $100 from the cost of the gun. The sights are $0.49 cents, the labor is $99.51!

That is why all these "economy rifles" are slick barreled. Cheaper to offer them with a scope than with irons. I just got a flier from Cabellas offering the budget Remington in choice of 5-6 calibers for $250 w/rebate!

Even the high grade guns come free of sights most of the time. The opposite philosophy being in place. No one that pays high dollar for a rifle is not going to have a high dollar scope on top and will never use iron sights.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-02-2017 at 05:45 PM.

The cz 527 has iron sights in 7.62x39. Kind of pricey. I also saw where a company was converting enfields for a while. Too bad no one wants to make a bolt gun that accepts ak mags.

The Ruger bolt gun accepts mini-30 mags. More pricey than AK mags but with a bolt gun you do not necessarily want a lot of mags lying about. And it is a Ruger product. Sort of expected.

The CZ527 is more expensive than a high quality AK. You can buy an AK for less than $500.

Apparently all the SKS rifles in the world have been diverted to New York and California. They have disappeared from the market. They were a cheap alternative for many years.

The reason I started building AR rifles was because they were cheaper than the Mossberg Patrol Rifle that accepts AR magazines. The Patrol Rifle really strikes me as a low dollar gun with a high dollar price tag just due to accepting the AR mag.

I like the mauser with the built in box mag, nothing to lose with that

I guess that is right if you are prone to losing things like magazines out of rifles. I have never lost one that I can remember and I do tend to keep more than one AK or AR mag around the place. Got 2 on top of the fridge, one on the dresser, have not counted the ones in the AR box lately.

Second thought, I might have lost two or three and just don't know it.

I do remember getting a frantic phone call from my son once. He had the magazine to his .22 but had misplaced the rifle. Fortunately I had been over there a couple of days earlier and seen the rifle behind the door in the upstairs bedroom. I thought it was an odd place and he did too. Apparently the DIL had moved it on him.

My great gripe about such things is when they offer a changeable magazine rather than a blind box magazine but do not have provision for loading the mag through the top. There are times when I do not want to take the mag out to top it off.

I like it even more when the rifle has both a removable mag and slots cut for stripper clips.

I've only ever lost one out of semi auto 22 rifle. It was awhile before I could get to where it could be replaced. It made a very poor single shot. Now days I have lots of magazines for bout everything that I have that uses a magazine, even magazines for firearms I don't even own. Even go as far as keeping lots of clips and stripper clips around. Probably have a couple hundred garand clips. I can see the value of topping of a magazine without removal too as in the smle.

I like redundancy. Doesn't matter what. Would I use a thirty round mag on a bolt gun, probably no. Would I like the bolt pattern from a ford fit a chevy, yes. Might as well be living in the 18th century. Comprenda?
    Last edited by rebel; 09-02-2017 at 10:03 PM.

my first high powered rifle was a 30-40 98 krag, my second if memory serves which can get a bit fuzzy at times, was a norwegin krag in 6.5x55 swede. Dang I miss that 6.5 krag, what was I thinking LOL. anyhoo no mag to lose on those rifles. LOL Still have the 98, still shoot it too.

I'd like to have a swed. The good priced surplus are gone.

I've been looking for a Howa Mini but I'll maybe wait and see if I can find a Ruger when they come out. That would be slick. I couldn't find the answer, maybe I'm just missing it- what diameter is the bore? Is it the more common (in the US) .308 or .311?

The mini-30 uses .311-.312 bore so I suppose the bolt gun will too.

I'm curious to see what it costs once the stores start to get them.