Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Harvey

Default Hurricane Harvey

Well, It stopped being funny when they started talking about Category 3….

As forecast the eye should come to a halt and head back out to sea about 15 miles from my house. Good thing I have those handy fire starters.

Seriously though, everyone is in full emergency mode here. Water will be the last service we lose and that is what is selling out in the stores. As long as I have enough for my coffee in the morning, no one will have to die.

Forecast is for up to 20" of rain. So 100 mph winds and lots of water? Maybe I'll go into the Oak firewood business. All the coastal towns have mandatory evacuations and Victoria, the closest big town went mandatory at 5:00 PM today.

I'm sure our county goober heads will follow suit by morning and I'll have to listen to those loudspeakers blaring around as I'm trying to board up windows in the rain.

Wish us luck. We're hunkerin down.

Alan

My niece and her husband....also her mother (ex SIL) are across the bay from Corpus Christi........
    She has already headed out to a friends place inland a ways.

Her husband is on the Fire Dept....so is staying , I guess....
    That had all moved down there a couple of years ago....niece, husband, her mother/BF...husbands M and F....

We will see.....

Keep your head down and good luck.
    Keep us posted if you can
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That area may get some wind if the eye goes north of CC (which it appears it will do) but thankfully they will miss the main storm surge. It's not going to be any fun but it won't be as bad as Rockport and Port Lavaca are going to get. All surrounding counties are under mandatory. Goliad County is the only one left that is still voluntary. I suspect that by morning that will change.

#3 son (Firefighter/Paramedic Victoria FD) got relieved this evening. They may (probably will) have to go back on tomorrow evening.

Alan

I wouldn't wish this off on anyone, but, I wouldn't wish it on me either. The latest forecast has the center of the eye going precisely over my house. It loops around just north of Goliad, then to the west and them back northeast. We're high here But I've got four big oak trees and if it loops around and the eye goes over us I don't see how I can come through it with the four trees still standing. The ground will be saturated and the wind is going to blow from every direction… If I had any sense I'd be out there first thing in the morning putting them on the ground.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have to deal with the occasional tornado but I can really not imagine the stress you are under with this particular hurricane.

I am in north KY and when Ike came through ten years back the rain had dissipated but we still got the wind with a sustained flow of 70-80 mph. Took all the shingles off half the roof and blew trees down all over the place and that was just the worn out edge of a depleted storm.

You hang in there.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Stay safe. Check in with us when you can.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Stay safe, Alan. You guys are in my prayers.

I got all the hatches battened down, took a shower, washed a last load of clothes, #1 wife cooked supper… I started at 4:30 this morning and I feel like it's 6:00 PM instead of almost 2:00. It's going to blow for sure but I'm not seeing the rain predicted. That's a good thing.

Alan

It appears to be losing a bit of strength and the eye has gotten much bigger. I hope it continues to weaken.

Alan

Next week you can probably find a good deal on generators.

I have three now. But, you are correct.

Alan

I got two after Y2K+1...,..... 5K Colman's for $250 each...was $700 buck machines....
    Just stay safe...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The news is sayin' it's going to cat 4. Hang on.

I lived on padre island for a year and a half. Good times. I hope things go well for y'all.

It's getting more hurricanish but we've still got power and wifi.

Alan

Lights are flickering a bit so it may not be long until power is out.

Alan

Check back in on the flip side. It looked really bad on the news this morning. Cat 4.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The news is really making a headline out of this one.

Gators in the streets, buildings flattened.

"Uninhabitable for decades!" was one term I heard.

300,000 people without power, but how many of them are still present after the evac? Of course grid down is a temporary condition after a hurricane and will be brought back on line with time.

I have not heard of bodies floating in the flooded streets, gangs roaming and shooting at helicopters or widespread looting yet.

I am waiting to see how the emergency services react and with what efficiency. That is always a concern and every event is a test of their ability.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well it pretty much sucked here. The wry passed within five miles. Rockport got hit hard. CC too. Still no power or water. I've got a battery Pac that charges the cell phone. A lot going on. To much to type on the phone.

Later. I haven't heard of any deaths but we can't get much news. Everyone behaving around here.

Alan

It might be a while before things are back to normal. Stay safe.