Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should be in a survival fishing kit

Default What should be in a survival fishing kit

Fishing was to be my project for next summer, but I do not have to say I'm pushing this timeline a bit ....
    However, I am a complete beginner when it comes to fishing, although I am not afraid to dig and learn to fish and use equipment. I know that "sets" in general tend to be poorly thought out, poor quality and are often filled with useless stuffing look better, but do not know where to start or what I need. I suppose some might be better than others, so do not worry about buying a set if it's cool, but it's a bit overwhelming when you look at Cabelas or Amazon. None of my family or friends care about fishing, so I do not have anyone to help me get started.

---------------------------------------------
    My blog
    https://lifeundersky.com/safety-prec...g-from-a-boat/
    Last edited by Adam; 08-27-2017 at 09:28 AM.

I view fishing more of a fun, relaxing activity or to put food on the table. Never really thought about it as a project.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Gear up for where you are going to be practicing fishing. Big hooks in a small pond will frustrate you.
    Don't get sucked into 5 dollar lures (just yet). I'd start where most middle aged and older people started. A cane pole, some line, hooks, sinkers, and worms. That'll give you some success and you can branch out from there.
    A super fantastic fishing kit is worthless if you have no experience fishing.
    Get out there and have fun.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I never viewed fishing as a "project" either. As a kid it was what you did for fun with grandpa. Latter it just became sport with food to take home.

Yea, you can walk through Walmart with $25 and walk out with enough fishing gear to be successful.

Hook, line, sinker and a cheap rod and reel or cane pole. You can even buy scented dough balls that are great bait for pan-fish and catfish. You do not have to have the rod and reel but for non-survival situations while you are learning there is no need to make things difficult.

Ignore the plastic gummy lures and such. Go straight for the dough balls or natural bait.

You can get your fishing license there too
    . Don't forget that! It can ruin your day.

Call the local bait stores or ask around and find out where the locals go to fish off the bank.

Fishing is much like hunting off a tree stand, you have to place yourself where the deer or fish are or it is a waste of time. Most of the time being a bad fisherman is just going to the wrong place to drop your line in the water.

Then, after you have learned how to catch a few fish you can decide what you need in your "survival fishing kit".

And remember, little kids using improvised gear have been catching fish since the stone ages. You can too if you are at the right place at the right time.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

A survival fishing kit is just a the bare bones kit to catch fish.
    A lot will depend on where and how you plan on surviving fishing.....

Basics are line, hooks, floats and sinkers.
    Bait can be worms, grubs, or bugs.....for live bait.

Lures.(1000's out there)...most kinda depend on casting and retrieving.....so a rod and reel may be needed....(1000's) out there.

To learn...find somewhere with other people are fishing...find out fishing for what, what are they using.....then try to do the same thing.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

This is trolling for chicks but I think this is different than what you are talking about. Still survival.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Fishing from the bank where other folks are catching fish is one of the best ways to "learn" to fish.

Watch what they are doing, what they are using for bait, how they are presenting the bait and if they are catching anything you will be also before too long.

And keep in mind that you can keep your fishing gear in the trunk of the car all the time. Many of us keep a fishing pole in the vehicle as a normal thing. It is not like a rifle or shotgun in The Empire State, you are not going to jail over a fishing pole, not normally anyway.

If you find yourself with an hour of free time and you are near a lake or river you can catch the evening meal at any time, or you can legally "catch and release" if you just want some practice.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-o...613#about-item

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-P...QOjEhyOK6i3X1Q
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-24-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Keep a couple of little ones sometimes and learn to cook them. I say little ones because they are more plentiful. AND they've had less time to ingest heavy metals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This is trolling for chicks but I think this is different than what you are talking about. Still survival.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Once long ago I got thrown out of a bar for walking through dragging an apple on a string.

Bartender asked me what I was doing.

"Trolling for pigs!"

OUT! OUT! You are banned!

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Keep a couple of little ones sometimes and learn to cook them. I say little ones because they are more plentiful. AND they've had less time to ingest heavy metals.
    I am fortunate that the lake at the end of the road is spring fed and serves as the regional water supply. The WMA stocks it constantly with all sorts of good pan-fish and game fish. It is an old lake and there is plenty of shade and cover so the fish are plentiful and there is no worry about heavy metals. Not even any heavy livestock or crop growth around the shores for the rural types of pollution.

There is a similar but smaller reservoir about 5 miles down the road. That one is the source of the state record large mouth bass catch. When I use my boat that is the lake I use. It has better boat ramp and parking. also has a nice public fishing dock.

I don't know about where you guys live but the state checks the fish in just about all of the lakes and rivers in the state and have the results on the DNR website. We are pretty fortunate that most, not all, but most of our waterways are clean.

You don't need a lot of expensive gear.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is cool. I may make up a few of those just for the coolness factor alone. Keep them in the orange dry box in the boat. The orange dry box is the box that will keep me afloat until I get to shore and has everything I need in it when I get there.

Alan

VERY NEAT IDEA Crash Drive... so easy to make.
    Love it.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

That's about the best answer to starting to fish with a "survival" kit as I've seen. Cheap, easy, effective.

Yup....I agree.....
    That all you need, as I am th poster child for having 4 tackle boxes, 3 inherited, full of stuff...that I can't seem to do very well with.
    The 3 inherited boxes are full of tackle that I know worked for my MF, FIL, BIL......

I take kinda that back....I do OK on pan fish in the shadow line on the edge of a lake with a bobber and redworm (or fake red worm jig)....and a river rig in the river with night crawler for trout.

Point is....location location, location....blue gills are not in the ocean....musky lures and gear don't work on trout....bass stuff aren't for sharks....

It's just as easy to NOT catch fish with $5 bucks worth of gear...hook, line an stick......as it is with $5000 bucks worth of fancy gear

There is even room in Crash's kit for a ferro rod and a Derma-Safe knife so you would have everything needed to catch them, clean them and cook them on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Once long ago I got thrown out of a bar for walking through dragging an apple on a string.

Bartender asked me what I was doing.

"Trolling for pigs!"

OUT! OUT! You are banned!
    I had twenty Neon yellow Flyswatters and passed them out among-st some 50+ something guys at my favorite restaurant in Glenn Mills. These drunken happy hour friends proceeded to hit each other and quickly killed all the flies in the restaurant. - The manager was not pleased. Came very close to being banned too. I was laughing too hard....
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Like the flyswatters....LOL

Well, we got tossed out of a bar for giving the owner a "flint and steel" fire making kit.

Bunch of us stopped at that saloon in full rondy dress ...and I was using my kit to light my smokes.....
    Owner thought it was cool...so we had given him a kit to play with....

Walked in the same saloon the following year....dressed up again, (the rondy was down the road a bit)

Owners wife storms out of the back room...shaking her finger......
    "OUT....You a-wholes gave the dummy that fire thing...he was showing it off and caught the drapes on fire...almost burn the whole bar down..... OUT!!!

Ain't that always the case. You give a guy a hand grenade and he blows up the car. Who gets the blame? Him? No, you. That ain't right.