Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should be in a survival fishing kit

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Speaking of grenades and survival fishing.......

How long should you sit in the boat before you resort to such measures?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Oh.........about this long.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Talk about a short fuse!!!

We used to remove the regular 5 second delay grenade fuse and replace it with a smoke grenade zero delay fuse to use in the wire. It was easy to tell the difference between the fuse spoons so there was little danger of a mistake that would blow up your boat.

I am heading to the lake tomorrow with the specific intent of testing a "survival fishing" outfit. I have never done that before. I have made all my kits from items I used for "regular fishing" that I knew worked.

I have never been in a survival situation so I have never tested the merits of my choices. I simply put a few small hooks, a few split shot and 15'-20' of line in some sort of container and called it a "kit".

This is not going to be an expedition, since the lake is 1/2 mile down the road, there is an old dock and the weather is supposed to be great. The closest I can come to having to survive is if I accidentally drive into the lake. That would only force me to walk home wet and call a tow truck.

At worst I will catch nothing, which I might do with "normal gear", at best I will have supper.

In fact, I will use the same hook/line/sinker/bait combination on a normal rod and reel side by side from the same spot and see how they match up.

I tried that slick kit that pgvoutdoors gave away at the last jamboree after a few little replacements that work in FL better. I could get enough protein to keep going for awhile I guess. I know adding a minimal fishing kit to the Pot and Machete challenge really helped mentally.

I made a survival kit years ago and tried it. I narrowed down the hook size then for fresh water. I've not tried a kit on salt. But I have used a Cuban hand reel a lot. Pretty much the same idea.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I tried that slick kit that pgvoutdoors gave away at the last jamboree after a few little replacements that work in FL better. I could get enough protein to keep going for awhile I guess. I know adding a minimal fishing kit to the Pot and Machete challenge really helped mentally.

I made a survival kit years ago and tried it. I narrowed down the hook size then for fresh water. I've not tried a kit on salt. But I have used a Cuban hand reel a lot. Pretty much the same idea.
    FYI
    You have brought up an important part of "survival" that is mostly not talked about and many times overlooked for any "kit".
    Some times your Teddy Bear beats a bigger knife, hands down....LOL'

Years ago....what there was the Old timey "Book Matches"......Free at any check out counter, hotel lobbies, gas stations, saloon.......
    I had made up a pocket "kit"....kinda by accident.

Wanting to make use of those long hours in the duck boat or blind when ducks are not flying....happened to look around and found about 20 ft of mono filament with a small hook and split shot sinker....in the cattails....pulled it out.

Had a book of these free matches in my pocket....wound the line, hook and sinker around the cover......
    Pices of wood can be a float...?

Like this : Pic from web

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Found this...some instructions...kind shows what I am talking about:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

http://heywoodhobbies.blogspot.com/2...r-fishing.html

Later added a safety razor blade tucked in the back....and wrapped the whole thing in alun foil for water proofing.

I wish I could say that I caught a lot of fish with that kit....don't recall if I ever did catch any...but felt good in the pocket...when I would use a match to light a smoke.

Sounds to me like a project for a Altoids tin that seems so popular.

NOTE...any area that has people fishing will have all the material you need stuck on logs, trees, etc from past fishermen.
    Not common occurrence in "The wilderness".
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-27-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have done my share of fishing using "gear" recovered from trees, logs and stumps. It is going to be common in any heavily fished area.

If you find it you are not lost, you are in a park, sit down and wait for a ranger to come get you. If you want immediate rescue build a fire, someone will be there to write you a citation within miuntes.

I miss having book matches available in public places. It used to be you got a book in every ash tray that was shoved at you in any establishment. If they were not visible just ask and they were provided. I even remember cigarette packs with a book of matches attached to the pack.

I keep a couple of 100 packs in my long term preps in the storage room. Yes I have lighters and ferro rods, match safes and other goodies but books of matches can be placed in kits and luggage with cheap abandon since they run about one cent a book.

I have always figured that in an emergency I would eventually have one of the neighbors standing at the door with that glazed look on their face asking the question, "Do you have a light? We're all out of matches."

Even today a book of matches is included in the MRE packs. No hooks or fishing line though. That is reserved for the survival kits.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-27-2017 at 01:35 PM.

I take it you don't practice the hand drill much... lol

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I take it you don't practice the hand drill much... lol
    Have a nice drill kit, don't use it except for demonstrations.

In an emergency kit I believe you should have the very best and latest in fire starting technology. If not matches then lighter, ferro rod, napalm or whatever.

I even feel matches are a little outdated. After all, they are mid-19th century technology and we quit using most of that eras' gear long ago. A ride in a steam engine train is now considered a novelty. Matches are from the same period.

If you check E-bay you can find ferro rods for $1 each and the good old Bic lighter is available at every Dollar Store in a 5 pack for $1.

As soon as they include a phaser function as a phone app I will have one for fire starting purposes. I want one with three settings; stun, kill, set them on fire.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-27-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Personally, I think a good old fashioned stun phaser would be the bees knees. I have no idea what kind of power source they require and I'm certain I'd have to upgrade to the ultra max super colossal power pack 'cause I would be using that rascal a lot. A LOT.

Road flares.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just got back from the lake. Got rained out.

Spent an hour or so watching bobbers float.

I must report a negative performance on everything, commercial rigs and the survival rig also.

Nothing even stole my bait!

I will therefore not pass judgement on any of the gear, only the person choosing to use it while the raindrops fell around him.

I did see a raft of geese. About 50 of them. they floated slowly across the lake until they were within good shotgun range of me whereupon I was forced to stand up and shout "BANG"!

Every one of those geese left the water within a half second of each other. Sounded like thunder.

I probably did them a favor. This is the resident flock and hunting season will be upon us shortly, they better get nervous.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-28-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Just got back from the lake. Got rained out.

Spent an hour or so watching bobbers float.

I must report a negative performance on everything, commercial rigs and the survival rig also.
    Like I said....You can NOT catch fish on.. anything....LOL

Nothing even stole my bait!

I will therefore not pass judgement on any of the gear, only the person choosing to use it while the raindrops fell around him.

I did see a raft of geese. About 50 of them. they floated slowly across the lake until they were within good shotgun range of me whereupon I was forced to stand up and shout "BANG"!

Every one of those geese left the water within a half second of each other. Sounded like thunder.

Stepped into a partially frozen swamp, in the dark...deer hunting ...and launched a 10000 geese (well maybe not THAT many) That was a pants filler..

I probably did them a favor. This is the resident flock and hunting season will be upon us shortly, they better get nervous.
    Early season starts here soon as well......Goose hunting in T-Shirt and shorts doesn't seem right.... somehow......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

What region do you intend to fish ?
    Coast
    Mountains
    Finger Lakes
    NW rivers

What species will you be fishing for ?

Depending where and what, all you need is a hook , line, & bait.

<"////><