Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse Tomorrow!!!!

Default Eclipse Tomorrow!!!!

Where ever you live in the US you should be able to see at least a partial eclipse tomorrow if you have sunny skies.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse...e-when-and-how

I am ready!!!!!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I happen to have a welders' helmet. It was hanging on a nail in the shop and I had to fight some wasps to get it.

I took it out and checked to see if it was gong to work and it showed the sun as a little white blob so I guess I am all ready for the big event.

I thought about driving south to my kids place to get the full effect and decided against it. 6 hour drive to look at the sun, naw! I will stay here and get the 90% effect.

It will be back in another 100 years. Maybe I will catch it then.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Cloudy here tomorrow. But I have no doubt the parents of the gradeschool across the street will come to a full stop (It'll be dismissal time). Me? I'll be in the front yard with a stick yelling, "Get off my lawn!!!"

...somebody come post bail for me tomorrow night.

oh yeah. I heard 50,000 people in a field in Oregon. A short ways away a decent camp. 40 MILE backup on the road. Wait until Tues.
    Last edited by madmax; 08-20-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Hey...I have a welder helmet.....
    Lots of people will be robbing the houses of those that drove 6 hours for 2-1/2 minutes....
    Hope there are no clouds.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hummm..helmet is a self darkening ....seem maybe the sun isn't bright enough?...as it didn't darken.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

For welding glass make sure it is #10 or higher.

Mrs. Crash and I are heading to the beach. We'll hike a couple of miles so we should have the place to ourselves.
    With luck, the cloud cover will allow a view. Got the eclipse glasses, solar filter for the cameras and lunch.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For the last two I watched, I used blank cd's. Just look through the shiny parts. I don't recommend it though. I mean, it works, but I don't recommend it. Use two cd's for safety. Anyways, I am taking off early from work to go watch it in my front yard. 90+% here. That is good enough for me. This is a once in a lifetime event, that happens to be my 3rd time in the last 20 years.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Heh. I have a place to myself - my back yard. And, lo, and behold, the sun is out! Don't know how long that'll last - it's Colorado.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Yup. Just got done making the projector out of some old binoculars (no I'm not looking through them.)
    Projects a good sized disk onto a white board.
    Got the idea here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuKTDUIJIgA
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.
    Blog Entries

Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I must say that was a bit of a let down!

We had 90% totality, and although things got a little bit "less bright" than they had been it was still not "dark" as it was in places that got full totality. It appears that 10% of the sun is still enough to light thing well.

If I had not known there was an eclipse I would not have even noticed the difference from just looking outside.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I wasn't impressed. Just like when I was a kid and they made it such a big deal.

I thought it was outstanding!!!! I had my high quality German made precision plastic and cardboard lenses and watched the whole thing unfold, pass by, whatever. I was a bit disappointed when I called for the royal wizard to find he had packed and left but otherwise I thought it was pretty cool. To think that a sliver of sun is all that is required to provide light is pretty incredible.

I used #14 welder filter over the aperture of my cell phone camera and got some pretty decent photos at 90% totality, including Bailey's beads. There was also some cloud iridescence that didn't come out very well in the photos. It didn't get night dark but there was a nice lavender sky.

IMG_20170821_112102.jpg

IMG_20170821_114125.jpg

IMG_20170821_120823.jpg
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Blog Entries

They day started out with lots of sunshine, but the clouds and rain rolled in. I got a few pictures during the cloud breaks which I will post later. All in all a fun time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We only had 60% coverage here.
    eclipseee.jpg
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Nice setup, though. I bet you could see sunspots with that.

We had 92% coverage. The cool part was you could see the plasma blowing out into space. That was really wild. Like a mist extending million of miles out from the sun. I didn't actually measure it but that's my guess. I don't have a tape measure that long so.