Thread: First coon hunt

Default First coon hunt

Mounted a green light q beam on a .22 rifle. The coons and hogs didn't notice the green light at all.

12454d1439889201t-first-coon-hunt-image.jpg

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

When the raccoons rise up to take over the world they will remember this post!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Never shot a coon...or hunted them....BUT I know that a laser will reflect and light up the eye on a rabbit..
    Poor man's night vision......
    Give that a try.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

OK Hunter, is it against federal law to shine a laser in the eyes of a flying squirrel?

Only if they can produce a pilot's license.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

They try to wipe the dot off........got to lead them.

It's really sad when they crash into the tree trunk. Funny, but in a sad sort of way.

A coon hunting (sorta) story...
    Was deer hunting....good 6 in of snow.....but real slow day.....
    Going for a walk......saw a coon sleeping in a the top of a small cotton wood, kinda sprawled out.

Decided I wanted a coon skin hat...didn't want to shoot it with the '94 win.....so tried shaking it out of the tree.....got it rocking pretty good...Didn't look like he knew or cared I was shaking the tree.

Base of the was about 3" diameter....and as I didn't have an axe or saw (what?) I proceeded to "baton" the tree down.
    Plan was to cut down the tree. and when he hit the ground, I club him.

Worked on it maybe 20 minutes....banging on my knife with the club I was gonna use on the coon.....old Mora at the time (didn't know it was batoning at the time)....

Finally cut thru enough to push it over......I guess he woke up and rode the tree down.....and before I could get over there in the snow...he laughed(I swear) and ran off.

Or maybe It was my BIL watching....and now laughing...with a "WTH are you DOING?

I don't hunt coons anymore....

FINALLY got my trouble maker last night . Have been baiting a live trap for over a month .He would take the bait and not trip the trap . If I didn't bait the trap or he didn't like the bait he would kill a duck . Lost five ducks . He would leave at the sound of a door opening .For a southern coon he was good size .

You got ONE of the trouble makers, they usually work as a team, especially the females.

You have to stick the bait way back into the tender trap and you have to oil the friction points so the trap will spring easily.

I used to use a sardine can with a couple of sardines left in it. I would wrap it in screen wire and wire the whole thing to the bottom of the trap so they would fight and tug to get at the bait. They would step on the trigger about every time.

One thing about coons in a tender trap, you have to dispatch them on the spot. If you try to pick the trap up they will reach through the wire and grab you!

They have thumbs too!

Raccoons are one reason I dispute the theory of evolution. If it were accurate then we would have evolved from raccoons since they are way smarter and more dexterous than apes.

I guess I hadn't heard that theory before.....

Just think about it Hunter. All over the world the apes are in danger of going extinct. They have to have our help in preserving their habitat, we have to protect their food supply, protect them from being killed when they become a nucense.

Coons don't get any protection at all and they are flourishing in town and country!

You take a coon out of the forest and sit him down in New York City and in a week he will have gained 10 pounds and know where every dumpster in town is located.

You trap him in NYC and move him into the country and he will find a chicken house within 24 hours!

You trap one and two will show up the next night.

You kill one and five will form a war party and surround your house beating on the garbage cans and throwing rocks at the house.

Half the freekin' Bigfoot sightings are just coons messing with campers.

They can pick locks and work gate latches. I watched one work the spring latch on the chain holding the chicken house gate closed one night.

Now if you do believe in evolution the only conclusion one can draw is that coons are smarter than people already and there were no mutations they could exploit to make their lives better.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-21-2017 at 11:59 AM.

It's even possible they know how to assemble an AR lower.

Hunter, I've knocked some coons out of trees and I've never seen the person on the ground ever get them. My guess is you have to get them on the way down or the first second or two. Even with a thirty foot drop on their belly they run off pretty fast. If you don't cut them off they will go all the way up to the tiniest branches. I've climbed after and shook out porcupines too, but the guy at the bottom only needs the ability to trot to get them. The record that I know of is 17 coons caught in a live trap for a lady that had something eating her cat food.

When I live trap coons I let them go in my buddies driveway, He lives about three miles away.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    When I live trap coons I let them go in my buddies driveway, He lives about three miles away.
    Won't be shaking any trees any more...

3 miles......Waaaay to close....LOL

They got in a Coleman metal cooler...that I had screwed shut with a 5/16 self tapping sheet metal screw...

I saw 5/16 nut driver in his tool belt.....as he ran off....

I agree with Kyrat and his assessment of coons. They are the only creature that gives me fits in the great outdoors. Kyrat can attest to the great racoon war of 2015 that occurred at east fork state park in sw ohio. Last year I had two chase me for about 3-5 miles on a trail. By chase, I mean they were close enough to kick and kick them I did. At one hospital I worked at we had issues with them in the parking garage. We ended up having to bring in a company to handle them after they started breaking into cars! At another location we had a retention pond about 75 yds from the ambulance bay. As a security officer, I was ill equipped to handle the situation of one sneaking in the ER when a nurse went out for a smoke.

Amazing creatures they are.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

don't have any troubles with them, my dog kills them in the yard if he gets to them before me. I feel sorry for the coon, the crunch I hear gives me the woolies.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I was on the Tippacanoe River in Northern Indiana and woke up one morning about 1:30 to an army of coons attacking the Crisco and the worms. What a God awful mess. There was Crisco EVERYWHERE. Every places you would have thought Crisco could not possibly get. Even the worms were white.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    A coon hunting (sorta) story...
    Was deer hunting....good 6 in of snow.....but real slow day.....
    Going for a walk......saw a coon sleeping in a the top of a small cotton wood, kinda sprawled out.

Decided I wanted a coon skin hat...didn't want to shoot it with the '94 win.....so tried shaking it out of the tree.....got it rocking pretty good...Didn't look like he knew or cared I was shaking the tree.

Base of the was about 3" diameter....and as I didn't have an axe or saw (what?) I proceeded to "baton" the tree down.
    Plan was to cut down the tree. and when he hit the ground, I club him.

Worked on it maybe 20 minutes....banging on my knife with the club I was gonna use on the coon.....old Mora at the time (didn't know it was batoning at the time)....

Finally cut thru enough to push it over......I guess he woke up and rode the tree down.....and before I could get over there in the snow...he laughed(I swear) and ran off.

Or maybe It was my BIL watching....and now laughing...with a "WTH are you DOING?

I don't hunt coons anymore....
    Great!!!