Thread: ALONE Season Four Finale.

Default ALONE Season Four Finale.

Have not seen any mention of the ending last night of ALONE, season four.

I had previously mentioned that the husband and wife team would win due to their awesome shelter. But when they tapped, I was pulling for the father and son. Oops! The Canadian brothers did it even though I thought they would not last due to their constant bickering.

Well, at least the Canadians get some hard earned American dollars to spend. Hopefully to marry those two girlfriends they each have. One of them has been with this girlfriend for 16 years. About time they did it don't you agree? Then again, he may tell her to get lost as he looks around the field!

They got to get rid of that Prime Minsister Trudeau in my opinion. Perhaps buy that snowflake out.

Congrats to the winners....I had picked the husband and wife team as well...
    They seem to be in good shape overall...didn't pace themselves well, IMO

This year was kinda anti-climatic in my opinion.
    I think the expectations were high after season 3....thought that was done well.

Seems this is truly an endurance contest rather than skills.....their program, so they do what they want.
    I do get tired of the whining and complaining.

Kinda shows you why not many people choose this area for living.....resources are pretty limited.

But I guess you would find a 2 year long program too much?.....So let's send them to a place that is really tough to make a go of it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Congrats to the winners....I had picked the husband and wife team as well...
    They seem to be in good shape overall...didn't pace themselves well, IMO

This year was kinda anti-climatic in my opinion.
    I think the expectations were high after season 3....thought that was done well.

Seems this is truly an endurance contest rather than skills.....their program, so they do what they want.
    I do get tired of the whining and complaining.

Kinda shows you why not many people choose this area for living.....resources are pretty limited.

But I guess you would find a 2 year long program too much?.....So let's send them to a place that is really tough to make a go of it.

I found this season anti-climatic as well. Got real tired of the bickering quick. That was the lure to me of last season. Solitude, just man against nature. Not brother against brother and bickering about what pound test line to use. I swear, that arguing will turn me off every time.

I was disappointed to say the least. If there is a season 5, with teams, I will most likely not watch.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The end of season one degenerated into how long could you go without food.

The end of season two degenerated to how long could you go without food. I really got disgusted with the series, the contestants and the rationale behind the show at that point.

I did not watch season three but reports were that it was the same as one and two. I refuse to watch the show and support it or the advertisers.

Season four apparently degenerated into how long could two people go without food.

This show is not about survival, it is about putting people in a place with no resources ad allowing the world to see how close to starvation they will allow themselves to get.

The fact that it is totally bogus as a survival experience is revealed by the fact that two Canadians won!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post

This show is not about survival, it is about putting people in a place with no resources ad allowing the world to see how close to starvation they will allow themselves to get.

That location is not the obstacle for long term sustainable survival; the place is great. It is one of the most bio diverse and energy dense areas in North America. Historically there was no place with a bigger population of hunter gatherers in North America. Nowhere in US and Canada is better than the Salish coast. I know because I wanted to go a full year to the forest and live as a hunter gatherer and I researched all this (I went for 6 months and chose Manitoba instead). There are a few obstacles that haven't allowed people to stay for 5 months:

The most important is that they are just 1 or two people. Hunter-gatherers existed in tribes of around 25 members including elders and children (8 fighting age males and females). That is the most important obstacle in my opinion.

The second obstacle is that they are limited to the area they can roam. Contrary to popular belief you can't live off the land in any random spot. You need to have areas with excellent food sources and move when they go out of season to tackle different food sources (wild foods are seasonal, who would have thought?).

Third obstacle: they are going in just before winter. Living in the wilderness requires continuity. As an example, for the Boreal forest you would have to fish throughout the summer, gather berries in July, wild rice on late August, early September, hunt Moose and maybe bear when they are fat just before the winter. For the Salish coast it is similar. There are certain sea foods that are easier to gather at certain parts of the year. And participants don't go in at those peak times. It is obvious that the show isn't set up in the most conducive way for long term survival; they want something short.

Fourth obstacle, Not having a proper boat make life much harder. having a kayak, boat or canoe would be game changing. They could travel to better areas and fish in different spots.

Fifth obstacle, Learning how to survive takes time. And it has to be time spent in the field under field conditions, being a youtuber or having your own discovery channel survival entertainment show doesn't count. You have to starve and make mistakes to learn, but by the time you learn, you are too far gone. I am talking from my personal experience. It is a steep learning curve and it is a constant game of improving traps, hunting strategies etc. by the time they get the ball rolling winter is there and the fish are not biting anymore. see third obstacle.

Now that they are having a "redemption show" we might see better strategies, because contestants have actually had real world experience. Depending on which location the producers choose. From the looks of the preview, it might be a terrible location.
    http://SurvivalSkills.Guide for Long Term Wilderness Survival

Thanks for clearing that up ...... it was getting muddy.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

WTH???

Woulda, shoulda, coulda, x5, the show still boils down to who can starve the longest. It has been that end in every season.

I could have ended life a millionaire if I had a top job at a fortune 500 company, married a woman with an equal job, had no obstacles placed in my life path, maintained my health for 70 years and started out with 5 million dollars.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I don't think they're supposed to starve- they're supposed to gather food! But yeah, that is the aspect they seem to focus on. Their show, their rules...I get that. And food would be a big factor in long term survival. But it's not important to the kind of survival situations most of us might have to deal with while hiking, camping, etc.

So, they are in the perfect location....

Except they are limited to how far they can travel.

Except there aren't enough of them.

Except they are there at the wrong time of the year.

Except they weren't given a boat.

Except they don't have enough experience.

Except they were limited to ten items.

Except they didn't have rations that gave them 1250 cal per person per day.

Except they weren't allowed to have a tent.

Except they couldn't bring firearms.

Well dagnabit. It looks like those pesky TV producers are trying to limit them to the constraints they wanted to put on them. Who do those so and so's think they are?????? TV producers trying to make what might be an interesting show? How dare they.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I you changed all the except to 'You mays"........It's called camping
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27