Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Stuff Foam filler....Mower tires

Default Great Stuff Foam filler....Mower tires

I have several sets of old wheel and tires for moving dollies and a dolly for moving around trailers.
    They only hold air for like one job...then go flat.

Been replaced a couple of times.....but seems these cheap tires weather checked and won't hold air.

I have replaced the wheel on the wheelbarrow with a solid tire...but I use that alot.
    Those solid tires are kinda spendy.....but are an option.

These go flat enough that they literally separate from the rim.

Have tried "Slime"...which works fine on the 4 wheelers....but they revolve after application ( I would guess) and seal up "punctures "...but not a rim sealer.

Soooo....... as I have couple of minor seal up jobs to do....was planning on using Great Stuff to fill a set of flat tires I have laying around.
    Looking at some You tubes....seems the jury is still out...but for my use,.... may work.....

If so,... I have an old pull behind mower in the same condtion..... that I don't want to spend $60 bucks on wheel and tires

Any one tried it?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I put foam insulation in my tiller tires about ten years ago. Haven't had any issues with it other than there is no excuse not to use the tiller. I've never used the "Great Stuff" just regular foam expanding type spray insulation. I've also filled duck decoys with it and beefed up an ice chest to hold ice longer.

Alan

Some of these videos could be a lot shorter.

"Great Stuff" is a brand name........
    Although on of the vids a I watched the guy and had a different brand ....and only got 1/2 of the contents came out.

Weeeelllll.
    Seem this looked a lot better on You Tube....Hahahahaha.

Anyway...eptic fail.....
    Still waiting for the inside to dry....but they still feel flat...LOL

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Will check them tomorrow....but they most likely will end up on the curb.
    Oh well ...I HAD to try it...$6 for Great Stuff and did fill in the hornet holes......

I'll bet by the time they cure on the inside they will be fine.

We will see.......LOL

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Lol good luck.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

This morning they were still "soft" kinda...like the foam didn't create enough pressure (air was not added)......but the foam came out the holes...

Have another pair on the trailer dolly, were new last year....that are flat was well.....

I'm thinking I will try "Fix and Flat'....that is put in under pressure thru the valve stem..

I have tried it before with limited success....but was still able to refill with air when the dolly was needed.

Have recieved many suggestions for a lot of products...Slime,.... tubes, tube liners, duct tape, repainting the rims (better rim seal) and military bullet proof run flat product...$70 buck a gal.......

All seem to deal with punctures.....That is not the problem....
    These are just cheap rubber-like substance, that UV and weather check.....and just leak down when you let them sit.
    Answer? ...Better tires?...Pretty hard to find and expensive.....

Those didn't have tubes in them did they?

No......Maybe a tube filled thru the valve would have been better...but may have been hard to get in......
    Pressing on.....
    This was one of those "I wonder if........? Projects...that I "HAD" to try, rather than ..."Always will Wonder if".

Edison allegedly said, "I have not failed 1,000 times..... I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."

That was (1)...LOL

You got a lot of tires to go....

Gotta tell ya this "Fix a Flat" story.....
    Back when...1972 or so..... was working in a gas station for extra money... "didn't everyone?"...

Car come in driving on a flat...4 kids in the car, two guys, two girls.....guy were trying to impress the girls I guess.
    Acting like they knew what the were doing ...and providing for their ladies.

They had made to to the outer drive....came in the station.. and bought a can of "Fix a Flat...."
    Went out and squirted (is That a word?) it in....was running out the back side on to the ground...side wall was broken....

Girls came in the station for the rest room.....and were waiting for their "Nights in Shining armor"

Guys came in wanting to buy another can...?...Boss says: "Not gonna help, tire is too far gone.....I can sell you a good used tire and will mount it for you (meaning me) for $5 bucks ......
    The driver says....."Do you have any "Red Lines....I want it to match"

Boss was shaking his head....picky kid.

One ot the girls...opens up her purse,... handed the boss $5 bucks and says..."We will take whatever you have....just fix it so we can get home."

I often wondered how they worked out as a couple....

Was thinking about this while I was making a foamy mess, yesterday......LOL

Your story reminded me of a time when I was working at McDonald's. A bit off topic, but you caused the memory. I was mopping the floor in the dining room one night (worked the closing shift) and this guy kept laughing (at me). I rolled my mop bucket up to the table where he and his girlfriend were seated and asked what the problem was. He was laughing uncontrollably and kept saying "You work and McDonald's". After the third time that he repeated himself, I gently grabbed his girlfriend's hand and said......"I work here so that I can afford to take such a fine lady to a better place to eat". She started laughing. He said they had to go. Go figure.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

LOL.......Good one, gotta love a great come back.

On my tiller, it is more forgiving as to the full inflation of the tire, but the foam I put in has held for a lot of years. I thought that it would crumble and go flat again but it hasn't. Mower tires need to be full and level to get a smooth cut on a lawn. If you are just mowing weeds then it may not be much of a problem. On the mower I use to cut around the camp house at the ranch I don't pay so much attention to the level, height or straightness of the cut as long as it cuts. At home my mower tires are properly inflated and the deck leveled.

A bunch of years ago I had a friend who was in the brush clearing business. He had a big Steiger (sp) tractor and played Hell with flats and torn up tires ntil he spent the $800 bucks per tire on foam filling. After that he literally ran the tires off of that tractor. There could be a stob as thick as your arm sticking out of the tire and it would roll on. He'd try and wrap a chain around it to pull it out. If it broke off he'd run it with the stob still in the tire.

Your foam filled tires might work. Give them a try.

Alan

I'm sure that is a different kind of foam than "Great Stuff".....

Jury is still out.

Worst case...
    I'll will do like I do now......fill up the tires on whatever, .....use it for a project, or mowing (not using the mower that much)....tractor with brush hog does most or the mowing.....
    Park mower, ....or dolly's...tires will go flat, so refill next time I use them.

I went down to the gas station where my guy fixes cars and he came up with a set of inner tubes... haven't had a problem since the fix. I use the same tires shown above on a trailer for hauling split logs.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Your story reminded me of a time when I was working at McDonald's. A bit off topic, but you caused the memory. I was mopping the floor in the dining room one night (worked the closing shift) and this guy kept laughing (at me). I rolled my mop bucket up to the table where he and his girlfriend were seated and asked what the problem was. He was laughing uncontrollably and kept saying "You work and McDonald's". After the third time that he repeated himself, I gently grabbed his girlfriend's hand and said......"I work here so that I can afford to take such a fine lady to a better place to eat". She started laughing. He said they had to go. Go figure.

Heehee tried to rep you for smoothness.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Up date.....

Put the foam tires on the trailer dolly......flatten right out.
    Maybe pic's later.

Anyway

Was at a Farm & Fleet....picked up a couple of tubes 4.0/3.5/5....and a couple of can's of "Slime brand "Fit a Flat

So the set of tires, I had taken off the trailer dolly...was gonna put tube in.......Found tubes in already?...

OK well, gonna install new tubes......started taking the tires off...side wall and beads were just crumbling.....wasn't gonna happen.

Sooo, let's try the "Slime".....HAHAHA...fitting won't go on the valve stem???...Why?.....Not finding the right cuss words, I guess...
    Tried the other side....same thing.

So tomorrow tubes and slime....didn't use either one...going back for refund (I had asked about that)...
    It's getting tempting to replace the whole unit for $59.95

https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb...lly-69898.html

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-19-2017 at 05:15 PM.