Thread: Nightshades/Belladona

Default Nightshades/Belladona

Hi,
    We have both common/black and deadly/red nightshade on and around the property. The deadly is way out back and is cut beyond reach but we have common in various places in the yard. I've been teaching my daughter they are poisonous and not to eat as I teach her to forage along with me, though I know there is a bit of controversiallity about the edibilty of the black variety and possibly using even the red(belladonna) medicinally in very small doses if you learn proper use of whatever but I have no intent to do either. Also the plants aren't too out of control, I did pull a few up by the porch because we got a new puppy who eats EVERYTHING even the milk thistle fluff from what's growing under the porch.
    Anyway, they aren't in the garden to I hope foraging is a good place to ask but I've read that both varieties are hard to get rid of even with chemicals and I have no desire to use nasty round-up or other chemicals. Is there anything I can or should do to get rid of it? Live I've said so far I've just pulled a few but I'm expecting them to grow back.
    Jena

The black is just the herbaceous variety, right? If so pouring boiling water on the plant around the roots should kill it. Boiling water is my favorite go-to herbicide for soft-bodied plants.
    Might kill a few bugs and worms in the process, but doesn't keep killing once it cools off.

If the red is the woody vine, just pulling it up usually works pretty well. Around here any way. If you don't want to spray herbicide due to fears of drift you can hand apply it or put it on with a paint brush. The plant and leaves have to be actively growing though. It's getting a little late in the season for herbicides to be effective on woody plants.
    Last edited by LowKey; 08-16-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Some pics of the Belladonna/deadly nightshade for fun, I know what it is :P. Haven't taken any of the black nightshade but I can tell it is the common nightshade variety, the flowers are white and round berries which are not ripe yet. 20170723_152252_Film2.jpg
    20170723_152117_Film2.jpg20170723_152117_Film2.jpg

We call the black variety "dove weed" because in dove season you are almost assured of jumping doves out of each patch. They love the stuff.

Alan

You usually have two basic reasons weeds like nightshade take over. Soil disturbance and inadequate grass cover. Once any of these weeds get a foot hold it's just tough to eradicate them. Queue the flamethower. If you can keep the area mowed that would be the easiest but since you said it is "way out back" I assume that may not be an option. The key is to remove them prior to seeding. If not, you will be in a losing battle since they are perennials. Define the area you want to be weed free then jerk those bad boys out by the roots. Get them before they go to seed. It will be a constant battle unless you decide to turn the area into wild flowers that can be successful in smothering out the weeds and establish a buffer area between your daughter and the dog and what lays beyond.