Thread: Bottle water in you car a fire hazard.

Default Bottle water in you car a fire hazard.

Gonna file this under.....Seriously?....Slow news day?
    I tried to start fires with bottles and baggies of water....I want to know where they got theirs?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/heal...jrM?li=BBnb7Kz
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, that's the story I would have told them if I started a fire in the company truck with one of my cigarette butts.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's relatively hard to start a fire with a magnifying glass much less a bottle of water. I keep several bottles of water in my truck all the time, not to mention the gallon jugs in the tool box.

Alan

I always have several bottles in the trucks and car all the times.

That was a WTH?.....article.

yep, I get it.

I have tried to start a fire with my glasses because I'ver read that it can be done. Same with a magnifying glass made of ice. I can never get a pinpoint with my glasses and we don't have ice here. If we have ice it means we don't need fire because the freezer is still running.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I picked up a water bottle from the passengers seat of my vehicle yesterday that could have been used on the spot to make hot instant coffee!

I was retrieving my EDC pistol from the center console and it was too hot to touch even inside the closed compartment. My engineering classes came to mind and I remembered 160 is the comfort point for human touch.

Can't touch it? It is hotter than 160.

Made me wonder how hot a cartridge has to get for a cook-off. Much hotter than 150-160 degrees I am sure.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Interesting. I think the comfort level for liquid is a bit lower. I've found most people can't tolerate water much hotter than 130-133 F for more than a few seconds (and I'll note that a couple houses ago I lived in a place where the water coming out of the hot water tap was 135).

Year round I have 4 bottles of water in my vehicle never been a issue, BS meter going off
    Semper Paratus

I'm sure they can cause a fire. I haven't done it but I've seen water used to light tinder in that manner. It would take some dumb luck to have it happen in your car but it could happen. But instead of taking water out of the car I'd simply cover the bottles or leave them in the trunk. Problem solved, problem stayin' solved!

Paper ignition point of paper ignites at around 480 degrees Fahrenheit, +/- type.
    for an estimate:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health...hrenheit_.html

I think the odds are that you may be hit by lightning, before having a bottle of water. or a round "cook off"

Hmmm...I dunno, Slate. If paper burns at 480 F then why did Ray Bradbury write "458 Degrees Fahrenheit"? Again, probably unlikely but you can verify for yourself that it's possible.

The good news is if a bottle of water starts a fire then the fire will melt the plastic bottle and the water will put out the fire. Isn't the circle of life amazing?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    My engineering classes came to mind and I remembered 160 is the comfort point for human touch.

Can't touch it? It is hotter than 160.
    That sounds a bit high to me, too.

Also, it's the temperature you FEEL, not the temperature of the object, that determines the comfort level. This is called the "contact temperature", and it depends on the specific heat, the density, and the thermal conductivity of the object you are holding. Wood and metal objects at the same temperature feel like they are different temperatures. It's actually the rate of heat flow that you feel, not the temperature. If heat is flowing into your skin, it feels warm. if heat is flowing out of your skin, it feels cold. That's why lukewarm water feels hot when your hand is real cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Hmmm...I dunno, Slate. If paper burns at 480 F then why did Ray Bradbury write "458 Degrees Fahrenheit"? Again, probably unlikely but you can verify for yourself that it's possible.
    Anything is possible on the interwebs.....

This comes to mind.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel