Thread: AR15 cheap build durability

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default AR15 cheap build durability

Several people have expressed an interest in building their first AR and we have discussed where to buy the parts on several occasions.

The guys in the following video have done some testing of the durability of many of the uppers now on the market by testing them to destruction.

What is the purpose of testing in this manner? simply showing the consumer what the product will endure before it fails, and can the average person make it fail.

They do not beat it with a sledge hammer, smash concrete blocks with it or put it in a vise and twist it until it bends. They shoot it. They just shoot it in a manner most of us could never accomplish.

This test is the destruction of a PSA entry level 16 1/2" barreled, gas tube carbine barrel. It is completely stock and just as we would buy one from the online store. The upper alone costs about $200 everyday price from PSA. This is also one of the barrels offered in their full build kit at $350-$375.

These guys use a full auto lower and get more rounds through the barrel in a shorter time than any normal person would ever be able to accomplish.

They put magazines through the rifle at full auto as fast as they can drop and reload mags and the final burnout occurs after running two 50 round drums through the rifle and catching the handguards on fire.

Most average Joe AR purchasers or builders do not own as may magazines as these guys use, the equal to 15/30 round mags, so most of us could never come close to repeating this action.

http://americanshootingjournal.com/i...r-15-meltdown/

I think I can safely say that I might wear out one of these uppers over the course of time, but it is going to be a long time.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-16-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That's good to know. Lol. If I run across a nuclear hand grenade, I'll know who will test it.

Oh, man. Now I would test that. I have some candidates that would make good targets too.

I like full auto...

Just remember that at the cyclic rate of the AR it took less than 5 minutes to eat up $100 of ammo even at the cheapest cost of surplus fodder.

If it had been a .308 it would have been $250.

Makes me long for the day when 7.62x25 ammo was $75 for 1200 rounds and we were buying 7.62x54 in spam cans for $49.95!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-18-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Yeah, but look at it this way. That AR was cheap. Ten years from now you'll be saying, "Why I remember when I could buy a full build kit for $350!"

I just missed a full rifle build kit for less than that. I need to look at my emails more often.

I quit looking at my PSA e-mails on purpose! Constant deals too good to pass up.

You wind up ordering a Polymer 80 kit on sale one month and a PSA build kit on sale the next month and pretty soon you can equip an over-strength squad!

The time comes when you look at the gun rack and wonder "what was I thinking?"

LOL. I'm not there yet.

I have been operating in an unsupervised condition since the wife passed away.

No guilt, no limits, pay the bills and work rifle and shotgun projects. Wear raggedy clothes, sit on raggedy furniture and live in a raggedy house but I have some real fun shootin' hardware and I eat right.

I'm afraid I wouldn't do well unsupervised and off meds. Especially if they won't GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
    Last edited by madmax; 08-18-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    LOL. I'm not there yet.
    Kyry I am envious of you, I wish I had followed my dream when I lost my wife. Instead I let a woman thrist my 'brain' all up and now I'm not sure I got the better deal. I had planned on going fishing, camping, of course shooting. Now 13 years later I still have not done much of anything. I had gone out and bought all kinds of camping gear and even a trolling moter for a old John boat. Boats title was screwed up and still haven't got it fixed. O well I've still had fun buying four M1's and two Carbine's. I gave each my son and two grand sons one each.
    NRA Life Patron Member
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club
    K9GDG

Every time an older person dies, its like burning a full set of encyclopedias that will never be published again. So, if you ever want to learn more of anything, just find a old tradesman and hang out with him and then when he passes on, not the full set will burn, you'll have parts of it to pass on to others.

Hey, I got the Jon boat and the trolling motor! Got a 5hp Johnson outboard (1953 model) and a 15hp Evenrude if I decide to take the Jon boat to a race or go water sking.

Also have a old runabout that is bigger and makes a more stable fishing platform but it is more difficult to launch and recover and especially to tow. It is the Jon boat that gets most use.

I was one of those people that had been in a bad marriage for 20 years and stayed for the sake of the children. If I had not stayed they would have never made it to adulthood or had productive lives. That woman was not just crazy, she was dangerous. Still is.

I divorced and stayed single for 10 years before finding a good woman when I was really not looking for one. It was a "soul mate" thing and we had several fantastic years together. She died suddenly from a ruptured aorta.

Anyhow, she ruined me. She was a hunter with bow and gun, camper and reenactor, meaning she was capable of camping for weeks without the fancy gear of modern times and she was doing this long before she met me.

Single mom that raised two boys alone and then they ran away from home to join the Marine Corps together.

On top of that she appeared to think I was a pretty good guy. Imagine that!

At any rate, there has been no one come along so far that could hold a candle to her and I doubt there ever will. I am too old to do much in the way of personality adjustment and I have discovered that at our age not many women can do much of that either.

They is what they is, take it or leave it, and even though there are two single women for every single man over 60 most of them are so warped by time and the advertising industry that you can not tolerate them.

Same probably goes in reverse too. Not much demand for overweight, bald, overall wearing woods bums that drive old trucks and old boats, have too many guns and fishing poles and spend too much time at the range, at the lake, or over in the WMA chasing who knows what, and are not about to get a job at at McDonalds at age 70 just to pay for a cruise.