Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Everyone

Default Hi Everyone

Hey,

I'm really new to all of this so I hope you can be patient with me. I'm a 46 yo single female currently living in Baltimore, MD. I went to Alaska about five years ago and I completely fell in love with the Anchorage area. I am seriously thinking of moving up there and living semi off grid. I've been thinking about doing that for the past couple of years. I'm so fed up with how cruel people can be and living with an alarm clock and paycheck to paycheck. With my age and a couple medical problems, none that would prevent me from living that type of life, but it does mean that I would need to be near some type of medical facility, I'm not sure if its a feasible idea which is why I'm here. I want to learn and get feedback and all that fun stuff to make an educated decision about how and where I spend the rest of my life. Any advice you all can give would be extremely welcomed. A little bit more of my background. I can garden and fish, although I've never gutted one, and I've never hunted.

Thanks

Susan

Welcome home, Susan. Have you given any thought as to how you will make a living? Do you have any family in the MD area?

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome...From Wisconsin.
    Couple of members for Alaska here....maybe they will jump in and say Hello
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Rick,

I have my 26 year old son that is close, but we are slightly estranged at the moment so presently I only have 2 dogs and 2 cats that would depend on me. As far as income, I'm not too sure about that. I do own my own house so if I rent that out it could potentially give me anywhere between $500-$1000 per month. I know that is risky since I can't guarantee that it would be rented 100% of the time. The financial aspect is one of the reasons I haven't done anything yet.

Hi Hunter63

Hello and welcome. As has been said, we have a few members from Alaska. Hope you find what you are looking for.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

crashdive123,

Thank you. I hope I figure it out as well.

Welcome! I suppose the first step will be to do an inventory of your skills, goals and abilities. Do an internet search to see what jobs might be available in the area. Do they match your experience and qualifications? If not perhaps you can address the gap with training or education. You may be able to accomplish your overall goal in smaller steps. For example, maybe find a job and an apartment in the area. As you work and save money you can do the kind of research that's hard to do online and easier "on the ground" in the area.

Phaedrus,

I'm thinking about that option as well. I do have a lot to learn. Finding a job in someplace like Anchorage won't be an issue. I'm a degreed accountant. I'm coming to grips with the fact that nothing will be able to be done until spring, so I do want to use this time to see what I can learn online and then I'll make an informed decision as to which way would be the best for me.

Have you considered a visit to the area?
    On-line is a great resource....personnel experience even better.
    Consider it an "Investment" like you would for gear, tools books......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have been out there which is why I'm thinking of that area to go to. I feel in love with the area. It is so gorgeous.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Smb0314 View Post
    I have been out there which is why I'm thinking of that area to go to. I feel in love with the area. It is so gorgeous.
    You need to talk to Onetimestar. She has been doing what you propose for a decade.

You fell in love with a beautiful area during summer when it was green, there was 20 hours of sunshine daily and the temp was 70.

You need to visit when it is -60 and has been for three weeks, the snow is blowing sideways and has been for three weeks and you have not seen sunshine since December and it is now mid-February and the door has been frozen shut for a month on your "off grid" outhouse.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That would be 1stimestar
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    You need to talk to Onetimestar. She has been doing what you propose for a decade.

You fell in love with a beautiful area during summer when it was green, there was 20 hours of sunshine daily and the temp was 70.

You need to visit when it is -60 and has been for three weeks, the snow is blowing sideways and has been for three weeks and you have not seen sunshine since December and it is now mid-February and the door has been frozen shut for a month on your "off grid" outhouse.
    kyratshooter makes a good point! You should see what it's like when it's not summer. But I think the weather is more temperate in Anchorage than it would be in the interior due to the presence of the sea. Probably a vast amount of snow but likely not as cold. Obviously I might be way off base so you will want to do the research.

I think I understand how you feel, Smb0314; I feel the same way about Montana. Presently I live in the midwest but I've spent a fair bit of time exploring MT and ID. Someday I will move to Montana or Idaho unless I die before I can manage it. Once you realize where you belong it's hard to patient with the move.

All I will say is this. If you go and try it, you can always change your mind. If you don't go and try it, you will always wonder about how it might have been.

Alan

There is an old Indian saying that you can change the ground under your feet but never the sky over your head. Which means that whatever problems you have here, will be with you where ever you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There is an old Indian saying that you can change the ground under your feet but never the sky over your head. Which means that whatever problems you have here, will be with you where ever you go.
    Of course there's another saying- changes in latitude, changes in attitude. There's a lot to be said for choosing a place to live that suits your lifestyle. If you live to hunt and fish and can't stand crowds you probably shouldn't live in Manhattan. If your idea of a good time is catching a play on broadway and grabbing an Uber to get dinner at Per Se you won't be happy living in a village of 150 people in Nebraska. If you're running from your problems they will eventually catch up to you but if you're looking to sink your roots in fertile ground that will nurture them, it's wise to follow your soul to where it wants to go.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

One thing you should know, Alaska is a boom or bust economy. It always has been. Right now, with oil so low, the state is billions in debt and it's not going to get better any time soon. We can not cut our way out of this mess, but they have cut and deeply. Don't come if you will need to depend on any type of social program at all, including our PFD (which is not a social program of course.) So now we are looking at income tax, sales tax, and even higher property taxes.

True, Anchorage has a more temperate climate then where I am, near Fairbanks, but it still gets cold, -20F. You must have a reliable income. Up here (Fairbanks) it is easier to make the transition from town to off grid living. There are more people off grid and more off grid places for rent and sale. Anchorage is just a city, similar to any lower 48 city. Fairbanks is the hub of the true bush. I just bought a house in December but spent the last 5 years in a dry cabin. You say you have some medical problems. Will those prevent you from hauling your own water? Even 5 gallon jugs get pretty heavy after a while.

I'm happy to help with information and just plain old talking about Alaska because I love it. I just like that people have realistic expectations. Alaska on vacation is very much different then Alaska Live.

Welcome to the forum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I think Jimmy Buffet came up with the different latitude different attitude saying. Not sure you'll find that as part of The Ultimate Kind to Siberian Gulags. Might be wrong.

Thanks for everyone's input. I grew up in Upstate NY, so winters aren't something that is new to me, especially when 3 feet of snow is the norm. I will admit it has been a while and given a choice I might choose a beach but I've always, always, always, pictured myself retiring in a cabin on a lake. Its not that I'm running from my problems, yes I know that problems will always be there, but I have depression and the people around me contribute to how that affects me. Right now I can't even enjoy by backyard because of my ahole neighbor's dog barking up a storm because they leave it out without supervising it or their party and trashy lifestyle. I do have a bad back but that hasn't stopped me from doing anything I've wanted to do. I've managed to do 95% of all the renovations on my house myself. While I would prefer to have some type of water system (I feel like I could live without electric easier than water) I could do without if necessary. I have looked at different areas and they all have pros & cons. The southeast would be the most even climate, but it is very wet, but that helps with the water situation and having barrels and a cistern system would make life easier. But I'm not sure if I want to live somewhere that rains 3 out of 5 days which means I need to look at someplace that would have a colder winter climate. I don't know if you can answer this but I thought I saw something about the water not being suitable for drinking straight from streams in certain areas (maybe the copper river valley)? Income is the most iffy area for me right now. Like I said, since I do own a house, renting that out would provide a small source of income provided that I could keep it rented and nothing goes wrong. I don't want to sell it right now because the amount of proceeds I'd be able to get wouldn't last more than a couple years so I'd opt for the residual rental income. One of the main reasons for me moving is just to change the quality of my life so I can actually live happy. If that means struggles than that wouldn't be a struggle per se, just a part of daily life. But since food costs, yes I would need to figure out some type of income and that's where I need help at the moment.