Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi Everyone

I wish you luck with your pursuit. Make sure you look very closely at the cost of living differences. You will find that a dollar doesn't go nearly as far as it does where you are now.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Smb0314 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input. I grew up in Upstate NY, so winters aren't something that is new to me, especially when 3 feet of snow is the norm. I will admit it has been a while and given a choice I might choose a beach but I've always, always, always, pictured myself retiring in a cabin on a lake. Its not that I'm running from my problems, yes I know that problems will always be there, but I have depression and the people around me contribute to how that affects me. Right now I can't even enjoy by backyard because of my ahole neighbor's dog barking up a storm because they leave it out without supervising it or their party and trashy lifestyle. I do have a bad back but that hasn't stopped me from doing anything I've wanted to do. I've managed to do 95% of all the renovations on my house myself. While I would prefer to have some type of water system (I feel like I could live without electric easier than water) I could do without if necessary. I have looked at different areas and they all have pros & cons. The southeast would be the most even climate, but it is very wet, but that helps with the water situation and having barrels and a cistern system would make life easier. But I'm not sure if I want to live somewhere that rains 3 out of 5 days which means I need to look at someplace that would have a colder winter climate. I don't know if you can answer this but I thought I saw something about the water not being suitable for drinking straight from streams in certain areas (maybe the copper river valley)? Income is the most iffy area for me right now. Like I said, since I do own a house, renting that out would provide a small source of income provided that I could keep it rented and nothing goes wrong. I don't want to sell it right now because the amount of proceeds I'd be able to get wouldn't last more than a couple years so I'd opt for the residual rental income. One of the main reasons for me moving is just to change the quality of my life so I can actually live happy. If that means struggles than that wouldn't be a struggle per se, just a part of daily life. But since food costs, yes I would need to figure out some type of income and that's where I need help at the moment.
    Coming to Alaska with depression is a real red flag. Sorry but the extra long dark winters, cause depression. We have the highest suicide rate in the US. Barking dogs bother you? How about a sled dog yard with 50? We are the mushing capital of the US too. Most of the biggest dog yards are down there in the more moderate climate. You are ok with living without electric, ok. Are you up to heating with wood then? It takes a lot of work, even for a small place. Sorry, don't mean to shoot you down at every point. May I make a suggestion? Rent your house out for the summer next year, short term lease. Move up here for the summer, or 6 months, what ever. Do it on a temporary basis before committing yourself fully. Lots of places online. Start looking at housing costs. Use some different online cost of living comparison sites to see what you will need. Check out our local Craigslists and online grocery store ads.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

If you are interested in moving why not try moving away from your neighbor first. Find a place away with some space. You still have time this fall to make that happen then you can see how this go over the winter. Who knows? With good neighbors perhaps you will find a place in your life to be happy. In the meantime, check your local animal control laws. You probably have a law against barking dogs so call animal control.