Thread: Death In The Desert.

Default Death In The Desert.

Yet again, unfortunately, another couple obviously were unprepared to
    go hiking out in the desert, nor aware of just how deadly the Mojave Desert can be in August.

http://ktla.com/2017/08/13/yorba-lin...mojave-desert/

I've not been out there in August, but have been in October. Even then one must know what one is getting in to and be prepared. Unless really prepared and skilled at desert hiking, the Mojave Desert is no place to be in August.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Sad....Didn't have to happen......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Dang. You can't even breathe at 113. Check the dang weather forecast before you go. Jeepers. What a dumb way to check out.

OMG, just reading the headline articles below that one...why would anyone live there?
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    OMG, just reading the headline articles below that one...why would anyone live there?
    Well, the weather is nice and one can go surfing almost every day. What's to not like??

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I don't even like to go out in the back yard in the middle of August much less hike in the desert.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Reading that article I see so many tell tale clues I do not need to get started.

I do wonder whose idea it was to take a little hike at 113 degrees with no shade or water with a heart condition.

You have got to wonder about the thought process that makes two people believe that might be a good idea.

My first response would be simple, "You trying to kill me or what?"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

"August hike in the desert".......Is that a joke?....or a plot gone wrong?

How do you get separated 150 yards from each other... in the desert with no shade? Anyways, August is the worst time to hit deserts. I always try March/April or October/November. Basically when the mountains are snowed in. June is pushing it. And, my deserts aren't as bad as the Mojave.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Listen folks, the eastern Mojave is no joke it can kill you within hours, the desert has its rules and you have to follow them. hiking this time of year and that time of day is risky and a couple of 16oz water bottles is not enough, that's what you drink at your vehicle before you head out! I am saddened by this outcome and I pray for the family. sadly this won't be the last time this happens . just to give you an idea of what I take at a minimum , 1 camelback ambush 3L water bladder 1 U.S. G.I. equipment belt 2 G.I. canteens, K-Bar knife, 1 S.A.W. pouch, 1 G.I.magazine pouch 2 L.A. police gear edc flashlights with spare batteries ( these flashlights have a strobe feature on them)100' para cord , 2 emergency blankets, 3 fire starters, small med kit, salt/pepper, multi tool, sun shade signal cloth ( 7'X7' orange cotton cloth), boonie hat, gloves, shemag , bandanas. this is my vehicle EDC along with 1-2 cases of bottled water plus 5 gallons of water for my truck, my wife and kids have similar kits in every vehicle. again this place is no joke, you got to be prepared for this environment. a prayer sent for these people...
    Last edited by Desert Rat!; 08-22-2017 at 08:54 PM.

When I go fishing out in the bays it is like going to a desert. There's water everywhere and nary a drop to drink. You'd better take enough water for the day and the next day with you if you plan to be out for half a day. I carry a minimum of a case of bottled water per person in my boat. There's no fresh water and the wind blows all the time. I learned this the hard way. I had plenty of water, i just wasn't drinking it fast enough, got heatstroke. It takes a long time to recover from heatstroke. These days I can't stay in the sun for 5 min without a hat.

It was about two in the afternoon and I had gone back to the boat (wade fishing) and realized that I was not sweating and was chilled. It was easily 100 degrees and a 20 mph dry wind. I had been wading in salt water all morning. I could not drink enough to sweat and was sick for a week afterward. Any amount of heat for the rest of the summer would start the whole thing over again. It was the pits because in South Texas, if you don't get hot, you're not outside.

Alan

Canoe trip....on the Kickapoo River....In Wisconsin.
    As the crow flies say 25 miles....by canoe longer....we figured 36+ on the crooked river

Had sun burned my feet (sandals) 2 days before on another leg of the trip.
    So was hot a miserable.....
    Was wearing sweats....and hikers.

Put in around 7 in the AM .......Plum Creek, Rd Kickapoo Wildlife area....
    Driver drove to Wyalusing State Park to wait fir us.

Brought along 2 quarts of water in canteens, one each , ...and 2 soda's

THere was as a couple take out spots with water available,.. along the way...Were NOT marked well...missed them.

We missed the last one...by the HGY 18 bridge at about 2:00 PM.....but could see the Park up on the ridge 4 miles away.....
    We were out of water.......still along way as we had to all the way down the Wisconsin River to the Mississippi river...then backtrack to the park.

Rounded the bend...realizing we had missed the the stop.......
    And in the middle of the river....on a sand bar..... was 2 ladies in swim suits, lawn chairs, umbrella couple of kids playing....In the water.

WTH........Is this a mirage???

THey flagged us down and asked if we were thirsty....I guess we looked it.

Gave us each a couple of bottles or water.....then asked if we would like a beer.....Ice cold from the cooler.
    While we were having a beer with them.....we were talking:...Turns out they were relaxing as their husband were fishing...and had dropped them and the kids off.

As we thanked them and shoved off...with a couple more 'emergency" beers...as we rounded the bend..... they were out of sight.
    To this day I not sure that was real or not, ...

We had met the beer fairy...and lived

Moral to this story......Beer fairies, will only save Dumas once in awhile....you can't count on that....

So take plenty of water with you, what you think you need....then double that.

PS Was a couple of the best beers I ever had

Strange story. Desert. Not prepared. Lost each other. Heart condition. Old people. August. What's going on here??

(Hunter last post) Moral of that story might be: If you're prepared and half know what you're doing, you can do that well and even be a beer fairy to someone.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward