Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How wasp & friends react to colors we wear

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    All joking aside when I wear a bee suit with a dust mask and mesh cap I am almost head to toe - bright white and invisible to Yellow Jackets, and Bald Face Hornets. They still find my black socks, and attack them. Wearing bright white in Maine apparently works on daytime mosquitoes, and reduces bites. The Brown Stink bug is attracted to heat, lights, and houses that are white with black shutters and they also like log cabins. The Box Elder Beetle appears to love high contrast White and black houses and oddly near yellow siding, anywhere they can warm up in the sun and enjoy cracks and crevices.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    today I got 10-15 stings from Yellow Jackets on my ankle.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Last night was hell until I found something that worked - I was shocked how fast the poison was reversed. I crushed 8 Aspirin pills in a mortar & pestle and poured two cap fulls of white vinegar into the ground aspirin. Then I mixed it into a white paste. Wiping it onto the swollen wounds on the ankle and let it dried. Then put a compression bandage on it. Essentially I made a poor man's Poultice. Then drank three more Aspirin with diphenhydramine (Benadryl) with a little vodka & soda. I took the bandage off before going to bed an hour later- I kid you not in spite of all the pain yesterday - I slept well. This morning it was like it never happened. No swelling at all. The aspirin & vinegar appears to contain a acid that neutralizes the poison in your skin. I avoided two or three days of swelling.

I guess it was the highest dose of something similar that I don't have, Aspercream. those Aspirin were 325mg

What didn't work
    CVS Bite & Sting medication
    other pain killer killers
    Baking Soda
    Ice packs on the wound

What I did not try but has merit.

Applying a steroid cream
    Putting a 1 percent hydrocortisone cream onto the sting site can help to reduce itching and swelling. This medication is available over the counter and should be applied three times a day.
    Applying a paste to the sting
    Make a paste by mixing water and meat tenderizer powder. This powder contains enzymes that can neutralize the yellow jacket's venom. As a result, pain and swelling will decrease. Do not apply this paste near a person's eye.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

it was the vodka/benadryl cocktail that did the trick, everything else was a placebo.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Laudanum. That's all I'm sayin'.

Well as the OP was...How W.A.S.P & friends react to colors we wear......
    At a garden party, in the Hamptons.... don't wear white after Labor Day...Your friends will look down their nose at you.
    (Thought I would mention it, as it's up coming up soon)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Righto. Bloody good reminder. A bit of thanks and all that old boy.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    it was the vodka/benadryl cocktail that did the trick, everything else was a placebo.
    The pain was so bad I was willing to try everything at the same time. As the day wore on it will be one I wont forget. Duck Boots are on order.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Laudanum. That's all I'm sayin'.

Rick how do I feed the wasps Laudanum?

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Very tiny eyedroppers and tweezers.

Several year ago I got a call from CSX railroad about a wasp problem. The nest was in an abandoned pile of cross ties. It was a paper wasp nest that measured six feet wide and about three feet deep. I was wearing a crawl suit and two bee suits. I did not get stung, but it scared the bejesus out of me. I charged dearly for that job.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That sounds like something from a bad 1950s sci-fi. You'd expect a 10 foot two headed queen from a nuclear test site to be in the middle of that mess. Of course, some good looking chick would have to get knocked unconsciousness and you'd have to save her. So there is that. On the down side, she'd be wearing a pink poodle skirt and you'd be wearing a crawl suit and two bee suits.

A few summers ago I went into the forest to cut some dead falls for the winter. While setting up I heard a lot of loud tapping. I had set a bright red Styrofoam to-go cup six to eight feet away from a yellow jacket ground nest, and it was under attack. In less than twenty minutes the dog and I were being harassed a good fifty feet away. After swinging at them and wiping them off Maddie's thick fur I called the day a wash. I located the hive on the way out, and came back with gasoline late that night - no fire, just gas. The next day there were just a half dozen disoriented insects around the nest. The fight was out of them.

I'd received a dozen or so stings which weren't particularly painful - itchy though. The unexpected thing was that I had sort of an up high from the encounter which only added to the satisfaction of adding a fair amount of oak to the firewood reserve the next day.

There were a couple inches of them that managed to crawl through the sippy hole and drown in the coffee. Can't say the color had any anything to do with mobilizing the hive, but red stands out in the woods.