Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How wasp & friends react to colors we wear

Default How wasp & friends react to colors we wear

Hello, I'm reading about this and there's a lot of contradiction. Most reports black (and red, which'd be seen as black by wasps) are the color to avoid : it makes you looks like a bear in the eye of wasps.

These reports says white is any light color is best to wear to avoid attacks. However some says white is worse and red best.. This is confusing! Any experts here?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Interesting first post. We do have an introduction section, and I invite you to stop by and introduce yourself.

Yes, I am an expert, and yes, color does make a bit of difference, but not to the point where I would worry about it or change my wardrobe.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I had heard once that painting the eaves and soffits on my house a light blue color would keep wasps from building nests there. I did it and no wasps built nests. Then I painted it light tan and no wasps built nests. My neighbor's house is dark green. He has all the wasp nests.

Alan

Hunter63 Saying Hey and Welcome......From Wisconsin.

Never gave it much thought.......?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you wear yellow honey bees will try to pollinate you.

Don't ask how I know, we don't talk about that incident.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If we got a doll could you show us where the bee touched you?

Alan

Cough, && snort && choke.....Good one.

You joined in 2015 and wait 2 years to post?
    The only time I think about wearing a certain color in the wilderness is during hunting season. Then it's orange.
    Other than that, never.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Only colours I worry about, is excessively dark colours as the African SUN is Harsh, and its damn hot as it is already
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

This seems to be a topic of great interest on the internet.

There are thousands of studies and scientific papers available that not only tell you what colors different insects are attracted to but what colors we can not even see that they are attracted too.

Which always brings me to wonder why someone comes here to ask these things rather than go to the internet where actual biologists who study insects for a living post their work.

And yea, that join 2 years ago and make first post now is a strange thing. I would never remember my password for that long.

I like Mostly Brown's beiges, some como Clothing, ex-military clothing,etc.
    As its tough hard waring, protects well against thorns etc.
    Long tops, long pants, boots.
    Everything I ware has to stand to our harsh Out doors.. and try keep me from being too sun burnt.
    I dont really consider insects, wasps rearly a problem, sometimes bees can be.. its more mosquitoes and ticks and snakes and scorpions I am concerned with.
    That being said I rarely get bitten by things.. for the most part its generally been Ticks. Mosquitoes are problematic when you too close to water.. and most of the bugs aren't active in Winter.
    Snakes, well.. You be lucky to see them, they keep away from people. Only had one incident on My very 1st basic survival Course almost 3 years ago, one guy was bitten by a Burbon's asp cause he was handling it like a noob, after we advised him to be very careful, I handle and kept snakes many years, so yeah I felt confident to handle it with no issue. He got bitten 3x and his arm swelled and had to get to the ER about an hour away to be operated on to release the swelling.. I never Saw or heard about that guy again... But yeah truth be Told, most the injuries and mishaps tend to happen on the basic, as you get a lot of total noobs there that dont even know what a decent knife is yet alone how to use it. ( you be surprised)
    asp.JPG
    Here is that ASP... and likely the last time I ever wore A Tshirt in the bush hahahah.
    Last edited by Antonyraison; 08-14-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

Years ago I made a ghillie suit of sorts. I asked one of my sons to take a picture of me sitting in the edge of the brush. The suit blended perfectly. My old boonie hat showed up as a bright blue. It was olive drab to the eye but blue in every picture. The experiment was repeatable. I got another hat. With hunting I don't know that color plays much of a part. I know that movement does.

Alan

Are we talking about camo or the visual capabilities of insects?

I am getting really confused.

Of course I get lost driving the lawn mower around the yard. The bees start chasing me and I panic.

I was cutting my boss' field with a bushhog on a tractor a long time ago. I started getting stung and swarmed. Underground hornets' nest. I bailed and ran screaming like a girl. The tractor continued to circle. It took forever for that thing to run out of diesel.

There I was......(All good hunting stories should start with,.... There I was...)....Deep in the bush.....

Could hear two wasps buzzing to each other....
    "Now where did he go????....Was just here?
    "Dunno, ...I really hate camo....prefer Lumber sexuals ....I can smell that beard oil a mile way."

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I think scent has more to do with insects attraction than color...

Friend and I had been turkey hunting for a few days...didn't really have a shower
    As we had headed for the saloon for supper and a few cold ones, the evening before, he had slathered on the "Fufu Juice".

Finished for the day....had to quit at noon....he came walking up the road wearing his head net......was surrounded with swarms of gnats.....
    Gnats like Fufu Juice......LOL

ARD...I know what you are saying on the "blue hat"
    Animals and insects "see in different ways and differnet spectrums " so using color to attract or repel what ever needs a lot of research.
    That said...SIL had done the same thing....but you could see the hat like a blue beacon...LOL

Didn't get a pic....but these are an example:

In conclusion...my advice to the OP....Based on my extensive research hunting all sorts or "game" in all sort of conditions......
    Wear Camo......BUT be sure it is that latest and expensive you can find.....More money, means more better....

AND do not wear "Fufu juice, scented soaps or strong body sprays....unless you are cougar hunting at the saloon.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-14-2017 at 02:23 PM.

fufu Juice hahahahah..

Camo it is.. generally well suited for out doors imo.

I was working in the yard in a tie dyed shirt one time and some guys showed up to help. That was worse than the wasps. I wear muscle shirts and wear a sidearm now. Just sayin.....

It's all a matter of perspective.

Camo and color is used to attract and conceal even in the Magic Kingdom.

https://www.trueprepper.com/go-away-green/

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    It's all a matter of perspective.

Camo and color is used to attract and conceal even in the Magic Kingdom.

https://www.trueprepper.com/go-away-green/
    LOL.......That takes me back to ...Canoe camo days...

Went to Gander Mountain....Old original store in Wilmot, Wi.

Buying camo paint to camo a new bright shiney Grumman 17 ft canoe.
    Bought a quart of "Dull Dead Grass" alum. paint ....and some rattle cans.

Girl at the checkout looked at that can....for a long time...
    So I said, "I want to paint my canoe camo"....base color should the the lightest and bland.....

She said: "Oh I was wondering why anyone would want to paint anything that color....."

Next item she checked out was a "Dead Duck decoy"....plastic dead duck for dog training.

She was giving me that "WTH is with this guy?'....Look.

All joking aside when I wear a bee suit with a dust mask and mesh cap I am almost head to toe - bright white and invisible to Yellow Jackets, and Bald Face Hornets. They still find my black socks, and attack them. Wearing bright white in Maine apparently works on daytime mosquitoes, and reduces bites. The Brown Stink bug is attracted to heat, lights, and houses that are white with black shutters and they also like log cabins. The Box Elder Beetle appears to love high contrast White and black houses and oddly near yellow siding, anywhere they can warm up in the sun and enjoy cracks and crevices.

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 08-19-2017 at 01:53 AM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907