Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: How wasp & friends react to colors we wear

  1. #21
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    56,044

    Default

    I usually wear my invisible suit and have no trouble at all. That's me in front of the larger trash can.

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.


  2. #22
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,328

    Default

    Soooo....How long do yellow jackets live when locked out of the hive?

    Filled a big nest with spray, the foamed it shut...2 days ago...one or two still flying around looking for a way in....
    They see me and must know...they come after me...LOL
    Still pi$$ed I guess.

    So, giving them a wide berth......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  3. #23

    Default

    Just last weekend I covered the entrance to a ground jackets' nest with a coal shovel full of dirt.
    And ran like hell.
    And stayed away for a week.
    That pile of dirt was literally covered with yellow jackets.
    They didn't dig in or out so now that nest is done.

    I leave the paper wasps and the mud daubers and the regular yellow jackets alone. They do a good job eating the green worms in the broccoli and don't seem to mind me being in the same general vicinity.
    The ground jackets and the white tails though.... They are just not friendly. At all.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

  4. #24
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,328

    Default

    I don't mess with them unless with me.
    This nest was next to the back door,... inside landscape timber.
    DW is allergic ....so had to go.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  5. #25
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    56,044

    Default

    Meanwhile....at another entrance to the nest........

    So here's the plan. He will come back. He can't stay away. And when he does.

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

  6. #26
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Meanwhile....at another entrance to the nest........

    So here's the plan. He will come back. He can't stay away. And when he does.

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    They are nasty.....and I wouldn't doubt it.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    347

    Default

    I've got too many grandkids running around and a wife and me. If it stings, bites, eats something it's not supposed to eat, or doesn't respond appropriately to "Come Here" or "Get Outta Here" then it's gotta go.

    Alan

  8. #28
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    42,945
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Half of us wouldn't stand a chance around you.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  9. #29
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,328

    Default

    What?...Huh?...Who?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  10. #30
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    56,044

    Default

    That's no joke. For most of us the only response your would get is "blink" "blink".

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Half of us wouldn't stand a chance around you.
    I have a lot of plants. Plants don't talk, at least not where I can hear them. We have one dog, three cats and a chicken. All of them watch me very closely when I go out in the yard. We all watch #1 wife very closely when she comes out. Grandkids can do no wrong.

    Alan

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's no joke. For most of us the only response your would get is "blink" "blink".
    Fortunately for us all, old guys tend to stay in their own yards.

    Alan

  13. #33
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    56,044

    Default

    My yard is fenced so I can't get into trouble. I just follow the path around the fence and pee in the corners.

  14. #34
    Senior Member hunter63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SE/SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My yard is fenced so I can't get into trouble. I just follow the path around the fence and pee in the corners.
    Chain link?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Goliad, Texas
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Chain link?
    .
    Probably electric.

    Alan

  16. #36
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    56,044

    Default

    Keeps the pacemaker charged.

  17. #37
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    42,945
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Or whatever sticks out the furthest. It does tend to train one not to pee in the yard........at least not on the fence.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  18. #38
    Senior Member kyratshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe
    Posts
    9,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Just last weekend I covered the entrance to a ground jackets' nest with a coal shovel full of dirt.
    And ran like hell.
    And stayed away for a week.
    That pile of dirt was literally covered with yellow jackets.
    They didn't dig in or out so now that nest is done.

    I leave the paper wasps and the mud daubers and the regular yellow jackets alone. They do a good job eating the green worms in the broccoli and don't seem to mind me being in the same general vicinity.
    The ground jackets and the white tails though.... They are just not friendly. At all.
    We poured gas down a ground hornet nest once and lit it. Fire blew out of an half dozen holes in the ground!

    They have escape routes!

    That was the time I came in late to camp and set my tent up on top of the nest. Next day was real exciting.
    Come to the dark side, we have pudding.

  19. #39

    Default

    These must have been dumb ones. Or a new nest for a swarm. The shovelful of dirt was covered with wasps at the end of the day, but within a few days they were all gone.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

  20. #40
    Senior Member Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Paoli, PA
    Posts
    1,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Soooo....How long do yellow jackets live when locked out of the hive?

    Filled a big nest with spray, the foamed it shut...2 days ago...one or two still flying around looking for a way in....
    They see me and must know...they come after me...LOL
    Still pi$$ed I guess.

    So, giving them a wide berth......
    Depends of the size of the brood nest. Some are bigger than others. The big secret is to give it time. I tell folks to give it a week or two - I delivered the solution or dust, now time need's to kick in.
    "Never work against mother nature"--Caesar Milan.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •