Thread: Armadillo Shoots Man

Default Armadillo Shoots Man

ok ok. I'll get a bigger caliber to carry... fer crying out loud.

So Uncle Ermi, Tell us again how you shot the man.
    Well, it's all about shot placement.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Bad angle!

It's still all in the shot placement.

Probably some reason to have used a .22 instead of the .38 in there somewhere.

Where's Jayd? He would tell us exactly what happened, why, how many times he has seen it in the past, and how a .45 with a 60 grain bullet would have been better.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

... you haven't lived until you've tried to catch armadillos by hand at night in scrub.

Sooo....That would make him...... Txdilloshooter?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I can relate. Many, many years ago, after buying my first house I was growing increasingly upset at an armadillo that was digging up what little yard I had. I was the sixth home in what is now probably a 200 home neighborhood. I had just come home from the range and was in my living room cleaning guns when I caught a glimpse of that armadillo digging in my freshly laid sod. I grabbed my Daisy BB gun and began pumping. I probably pumped it three or four times what was the recommended max. I gently slid open the sliding glass door.....took aim....POW! A perfect shot. Well, except for the fact that the armadillo looked up as if to say...Hey - What's up. I grabbed the nearest weapon that was assembled - a Ruger Model 1 45-70. I slid a 500 grain jacketed hollow point into the open chamber. I closed the bolt ever so quietly. Took aim. Fired! Turned that armadillo into pink mist.

Never ever fire a Ruger Model 1 with a 500 grain jacketed hollow point from inside your living room without hearing protection.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Armadillos and I have a long history of mutual aggravation. I have used any numbers of methods of dispatching them and they have been persistent in their search for ways to circumvent my efforts.

I have informed all the neighbors that if they hear something that sounds like a gunshot in the night that it is probably just an armadillo exploding. They laugh and wish me luck for they too have the same armadillo issues.

When the boys were home it was easy because I simply mentioned that an armadillo was about. They would lay for it with bows and crossbows and the little diggers seldom had more than two nights to live.

But, something else I have told people on the other end of the spectrum. If an armadillo is digging up your yard it is finding something to eat and whatever it is eating is likely not good for your yard either. I always suggest that as long as the armadillo is only digging up grass that it is likely doing more good than harm. If it starts burrowing under the house it's time for him to go. The eat grubs and such and those grubs eat grass roots.

Some years back it was supposed that they carried leprosy. I don't know whether they actually do or not. The indigenous peoples of South Texas have long made tasty use of armadillos and I don't recall any cases of leprosy.

Alan

They can be caught by the tail but you'd better get them off the ground quick because they've got traction and acceleration like no muscle car out there.

One time #1 son and I were trailing a wounded hog at night. We had two of his hog dogs with us. Things had gotten kinda quiet (which usually meant that they were fixing to get western) and we had stopped to listen. I was in front with a sxs short (19") 12 ga and he was behind me with the dogs. I was shining the light ahead and he behind. All of a sudden the dogs lunged between us and a Grunt! Grunt! Grunt! Grunt! Grunt! Grunt! Grunt! came from the ground between us. The brush started shaking and the dogs barking and chasing something bouncing through the brush. After I stopped about 20 yards away my brain told me I had been hearing an armadillo (Hoover Hog) and not a hog. When the adrenaline stopped pumping I looked down and found the dead hog laying next to me in the trail. He probably died laughing.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post

Never ever fire a Ruger Model 1 with a 500 grain jacketed hollow point from inside your living room without hearing protection.
    ....or out the passenger window from the driver's seat (well it has electric windows..).

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Or in the back of a box truck with the doors closed!

And never choose a .38/.357 shot load as the best option at 2am when you wife tells you to make the mouse that has invaded the closet be quiet.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-11-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Or in the back of a box truck with the doors closed!

And never choose a .38/.357 shot load as the best option at 2am when you wife tells you to make the mouse that has invaded the closet be quiet.
    I know you just can't please some people.

Alan

Perhaps the armadillo saw the original Crocodile Dundee:
    film where Mick Dundee fixed up a kangaroo to shoot back at a group of hunters.

post-6475-0-55935400-1422750910_thumb.jpg

He should have used a sling shot

How on earth did you use an armadillo as ammo?

Trebuchet?...That would sling one...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet

Man, I hope it's not ripe.

Stand back. Waaaaay back.