Thread: Pulsar XQ38 Thermo imaging rifle sight

Tool & Die Maker

Default Pulsar XQ38 Thermo imaging rifle sight

Retooling for hog hunting this winter with a thermo imaging rifle sight. I already have a Firefield night vision scope that served me well last winter hog hunting in Florida and will continue using the night vision scope. Night vision is great for target identification where I can recognize certain people and animals. With night vision I can see the stripped tail and masked face of raccoons and see the spots and markings on hogs. But night vision fails to see into vegetation but thermal imaging will. Thermal imaging will not see through trees or other vegetation obstructions. But, if a wild hog or any other animal is visible through openings in the vegetation, even small openings I'll know a warm blooded animal is there because they will show "white".

Below is a picture of my neighbors small dogs to give you an idea what an animal will look like through thermo imaging.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here is another picture taken from my front porch. A pickup truck towing a boat. We see the headlights because they are warm not because they are light. Notice the hot tires on the trailer and truck. Anything warm shows up as white. The thermal scope has a setting for "White hot" and "black hot" with white hot in use.

I bought this scope because it takes pictures and videos and stores them inside the scope on a memory card. It also has a Wi-Fi system so my buddy can see what the scope sees on his I-phone. Some settings can be changed from my telephone and the telephone can trigger picture taking. The scope also has a remote control and has a function for range finding. I spent the last week figuring out how all these things work.

It has not been sighted in yet. But they claim it can be sighted in with a single shot by placing the crosshairs where the bullet went then saving that position. We shall see on that.

As for the cost of this thing. I'll need to kill a bunch of hogs to make it pay. I took the money out of the kids inheritance fund. I hate to think how they would spend the money. My wife encouraged me to buy it but she really likes eating roasted wild hog.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 08-17-2017 at 04:34 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I do not have to worry about spending the kids' inheritance, they are already better off than I am!

If either of them had room for all my gear I would move in with one of them.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I do not have to worry about spending the kids' inheritance, they are already better off than I am!

If either of them had room for all my gear I would move in with one of them.
    I wish I could say that. I'm thinking of leaving the inheritance to the grandkids and a couple of nephews in hopes one of them will use the money wisely. Somehow financial savy never transferred genetically or rubbed off.

Quote Originally Posted by jim Glass View Post
    Retooling for hog hunting this winter with a thermo imaging rifle sight. I already have a Firefield night vision scope that served me well last winter hog hunting in Florida and will continue using the night vision scope. Night vision is great for target identification where I can recognize certain people and animals. With night vision I can see the stripped tail and masked face of raccoons and see the spots and markings on hogs. But night vision fails to see into vegetation but thermal imaging will. Thermal imaging will not see through trees or other vegetation obstructions. But, if a wild hog or any other animal is visible through openings in the vegetation, even small openings I'll know a warm blooded animal is there because they will show "white".

Below is a picture of my neighbors small dogs to give you an idea what an animal will look like through thermo imaging.

Here is another picture taken from my front porch. A pickup truck towing a boat. We see the headlights because they are warm not because they are light. Notice the hot tires on the trailer and truck. Anything warm shows up as white. The thermal scope has a setting for "White hot" and "black hot" with white hot in use.

I bought this scope because it takes pictures and videos and stores them inside the scope on a memory card. It also has a Wi-Fi system so my buddy can see what the scope sees on his I-phone. Some settings can be changed from my telephone and the telephone can trigger picture taking. The scope also has a remote control and has a function for range finding. I spent the last week figuring out how all these things work.

It has not been sighted in yet. But they claim it can be sighted in with a single shot by placing the crosshairs where the bullet went then saving that position. We shall see on that.

As for the cost of this thing. I'll need to kill a bunch of hogs to make it pay. I took the money out of the kids inheritance fund. I hate to think how they would spend the money. My wife encouraged me to buy it but she really likes eating roasted wild hog.
    You know that little dog is crapping on you lawn...right?...LOL

If you get all this stuff working....you won't have to go out to your blind......just watch ot on you computer or phone...and run it remotely....thru the Wifi.

Sound detection... hog walking (match from data base)...
    Direction and speed 2 MPH.
    Rifle sight move to targeting position....
    Acquiring target with night vision......lock on.
    Size comparison (from data) confirming size.
    Lock on to firing position at confirmation of target...

Activate the live You tube feed.....to subscriber list....
    Confirm Go/No Go...
    Firing.

Kill shot...
    Send drone out to retrieve....
    Pop another brewski.....

I can see the possibilities .....I like it....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You know that little dog is crapping on you lawn...right?...LOL
    The next picture was a little too gruesome for the forum. Blood shows up white BTW.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Tool & Die Maker

"You know that little dog is crapping on you lawn...right?...LOL"

The little dog is not in my yard, he is in his own yard. Ya, thermo imaging reveals things we don't need to see. Just finished mowing the yard and found countless raccoon droppings. Might mount the thermo or NV on my crossbow and do some coon hunting.
    I have a huge corn field behind our house.

That poor dog thought the only witness was his buddy there. Now his image is forever floating around the web squatting...

The good news is it wasn't his neighbor.