Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking

Default Networking

I am looking to find a few like minded individuals from gulf coast to network with. I am avid outdoorsman and becoming much more interested in prepping. Looking to find fellow preppers/wilderness survivalists in my area or even in other parts of nation. Long as your willing to network than love to speak with you. Regarding networking I am looking for individuals to share ideas with, ask questions, possibly form a core group of individuals who can depend on each other in a SHTF situation. I have a very diverse background other than just being outdoorsman. Have years of experience regarding trauma care, and several other fields that could be very helpful in a SHTF fan scenario. Hope to Here from you.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-06-2017 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Removed phone number

Hello livewildforlife. I have removed your phone number. A forum IS the definition of networking. Asking members to text you violates our spamming rules. If you truly want to share ideas and ask questions all you have to do is stay active on the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There are hundreds of us here and available to inform you (tell you what you need to do).

Some of us are even right about something occasionally.

And some of us are OLD! Old enough to remember prepping for the Cuban Missile Crisis, the start of today's prepper hysteria back in the 1970s (things always speed up when a Democrat is president, though I am not trying to be political), and all the crisis times since then.

I was just thinking the other day that it has been 30 years since the small "end of the world" episode of the 1980s (it was a religious movement not many people realize happened), 25 years since the fall of the Iron Curtain, 17 years since the Y2K era, and 5 years since the Mayan calendar ran out of numbers. There was one forum on the internet that kept their 2012 EOTW discussion going until 2015, indicating that you should tread carefully since some folks that prop, I mean prep, are not quite rational!

And being old, some of us are left over from the "back to the land" movement. Only when we did it we were not trying to meet government mandates for reduced carbon foot print. We just wanted some good stuff to eat that had not been sprayed and processed.

Some of us even had parents/grandparents that lived the off-grid life, because there was no grid to be part of.

If you live on the Gulf Coast you might consider concentrating your prepping on the natural disasters you are exposed too in that region. So far the end of the world has yet to strike and is not looming on the horizon any larger than it has since the end of the last Ice age, but natural disasters happen on a regular basis and each individual needs to be ready for that as an individual and family responsibility.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hunter63 Saying Hey and Welcome.....From Wisconsin.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome home.

I remember when Godzilla and King Kong duked it out! You can't prep for that!

Alan

Sorry about rules violation with posting my cell number. Definitely not a spammer or trying to violate any spamming rules. That's my last intention to be sure just guess was little over zealous. Otherwise thank you for the replies and look forward to being part of the forum. Regarding my post I am grateful to "speak" with whom ever wats to have a discussion. Yet I am really looking to find a few individuals to network with and form a fall back group. Whether it's for a natural disaster or a man made situation is of no difference to me as the end result can still be essentially the same.

Just a few thoughts...

May want to be a bit more specific as to area.....Members are from all over.
    Gulf Coast is a big area?

That said....most everyone has a group, friends neighbors... or family that would be their top priority.
    Plus I like my area ...and my set up.

Have you tied your local area?.....Your friends?...Family?..Groups?....
    That make more sense to me.

During the last major disruption on the Gulf coast, Katrina, the first things that went out were cell phones and the internet. If you could get out of the area you can use your smart phone for communication, but at that point you are out of the affected area. However, land lines were still operational.

Your immediately accessible group of family and friends are going to be your best network to build.

Alan

I agree with the above. Exchanging ideas online is fine but you should find some local people who have decided they should have some back up to "normal" life.

And be careful of the phrase, "Like minded". I have visited some real doozies.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    ... I have visited some real doozies.
    Said the guy stripped to the waist in sagging pants with his shirt on his head making an offering to the fire sky gods….

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 08-12-2017 at 01:05 AM.

I'm actually very normal.

http://imgur.com/a/qY9fv
    Last edited by madmax; 08-08-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Define normal.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    And be careful of the phrase, "Like minded". I have visited some real doozies.
    To the OP....No offense meant to you....
    But
    That phrase grates me the wrong way as well.....

Just bringing it up, in that way sets off a warning in my head....may do with others as well.
    Not a good sales pitch.

I'm sure in the case..........Means people with similar interests.
    But we do get a lot of "Looking for like minded people" to ..."move to my compound, a bring money and free labor"......or join a militia, partner up to run away for the wilderness, and build a off grid life for ..them.. in the wild with a big knife.....or any number of things.

I have spent my life taking care of myself, family, friends, and neighbors.....not real sure I would want to involve myself in unknown dealing with strangers.....

Yea that term "seeking like minded" says volumes.

It means you are not associated with anyone that thinks like you do or there would not be a search going on.

It means that you are estranged from your family, or that wold be your go-to group. Either distance or beliefs are separating you from your blood kin support group.

It means you live in an urban or suburban setting and do not know your neighbors well or you would have a community group. SAR group, volunteer fire department, quick response disaster unit, FEMA volunteer group or just all the guys on your street that own a shotgun and can stand guard during a disaster? Living in Kentucky that means everyone, and they will bring dogs.

It means you do not know the people you work with or serve or you would likely find a Like-minded person there. I know one of the big financial outfits in my area has a large and active "outdoor oriented group". But this is Kentucky so the executives keep camo coveralls and shotguns in their vehicles just in case they find out some hunting season is upon them.

In my area Church is a big network filled with people that have the same core values I do. Those associations are reinforced on a weekly basis when we worship together.

No, they are not "survivalists" but they are mostly born and bread Kentuckians, and that places them in a distinct group. We camp, shoot, hunt and fish together as separate men's and women's and couples groups. I know their political and moral views and what ammo they might need in a crunch. I know that my ordained Methodist pastor has a CCW and a tornado safe-room in his house.

It also means that I have dozens of people I can contact in an instant by pressing one button on my phone and contacting all of them at once. And they can contact me. And if the grid were to go down and contact were impossible I know exactly where I would go and in what order I would seek these people out.

Those women can cook too! That is one very positive factor in their favor. You don't want to mess with a group that can't cook!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-08-2017 at 01:15 PM.

You can go where ever you want and do what ever you want to do. But I urge great caution when it comes to messing with women at the church. They take no guff and they take no prisoners. They have little sense of humor either. If you walk into the church kitchen when they are cooking you had better hope you are delivering something they are in urgent need of, they have called your name for some reason or God is standing beside you. Otherwise, there is a good chance you might not walk out of there without a good old fashion blood letting.

And I thought that was only here in the south.

Nope there all when to THAT class....I was threatened with "You will go to he!! unless you get outa here"....or whatever my infraction was that day.

I still get "supervision" calls from the circle at church my late wife ran with.

Are you eating right?

Are you sleeping right?

Are you taking your meds?

I know a lovely woman that would appreciate a good man like you, it's time you got back out there.

And like Rick says, when you walk in the room and all goes silent just hold your breath and back out of there. Don't turn around, just back out. Only thing you can compare it to is staring down a grizzly.

A grizzly would back out of there.