Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R deal at Gander Mountain ...and others.

Default H&R deal at Gander Mountain ...and others.

Stopped by the local Gander Mountain....is in a 30-60% off mode (almost ready to call BS on most of those deals)...Closing 3 week in August.

Guns are about 15% off (yeah right) priced reduce to where they were normally last fall....and at about a third of normal inventory....lots of Ruger Americans, and Benelli shotguns.
    Same with hand guns.

Then saw about 20 rifles and shotgun that said...."Non functional"...????
    Asked what that ment....Guy says, "Don't work, don't know why, and not gonna mess with them"....like $50 bucks plus a bit each

As they say, new additions everyday....thought I would check out the Handi Rifles.
    Lots of .223's, 243" 7mm08...and a 308.

Guy says "You looking for H&R stuff....?"
    Said "Yeah"

He says "I have some receivers back in the back room that had bad barrels...pretty cheap"
    There was 2.... a Topper Model 58 and a Sb1...both shotgun frames....w/stock and forearm.
    He says "$45 bucks each".....I said "I'll take them"

So a couple of my loose shotgun barrels now will have a "forever home"...LOL

But that about the only "deals" I saw.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What were the handi-rifle .308 barrels going for?

That is one caliber I do not have on any of my SS frames.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

They aren't selling barrels....just cleaning up junk.....
    But
    E-bay......
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-1871-NEF....c100005.m1851

Stock forearm set is listed for $110 bucks...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-R-NEF-Hand....c100009.m1982

Don't work, don't know why…

There's not many firearms that don't have $50 in them parted out.

Alan

I don't ever get deals like that. But, I have been in a GM exactly once in my life and I didn't see anything there that would cause me to want to go back. I guess a lot of people felt that way since they are flanging things up.

You could buy every one of them that hit the bargain rack and probably get some decent firearms with a few parts and cannibalizing.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    I don't ever get deals like that. But, I have been in a GM exactly once in my life and I didn't see anything there that would cause me to want to go back. I guess a lot of people felt that way since they are flanging things up.

You could buy every one of them that hit the bargain rack and probably get some decent firearms with a few parts and cannibalizing.

Alan
    THere is about 20 of them...couple of damascus twist SXS...looks like 410 mabey 20 ga...
    Bunch of cheap pumps and older .22s...

Lowest price was $50 bucks....and the highest was like $90....

That want the guy said...."Hey, of you are willing to mess with them...good deal.....
    Alos was an action for a Savage SXS...no barrel...

On one of the receivers, I was able to drop one of the shotgun barrels...right in...(actually the means that any of the original barrels for my first project should fit right up.

I chose the .410/45lc barrel.....but may change my mind...as this is the "Survival combo barrel"....Normally this would fit on the plastic pistol stock with the storage.

THe other one will need to be fitted ...trying to make up my mind what shotgun or pistol caliber barrel would live on it permanently (well sorta of permanent)...

Forearm will need to be opened up doesn't fit the barrel profile.....too small?
    May have been from a older .410 or .22 as the groove needs to be milled out.????

Any ideas other than dowel with sandpaper?.....
    Need to look at my router bits.

Up date....
    Was raining outside..... so a dowel and sandpaper seem to be the best bet... as I don't have a mill and didn't want to pay for a bit......opened the forearm the "old fashioned way" and will now fit the profile of any of them.
    Swapped the forearm and piston grip stock set to the .410.....

That leaves me with a straight (no pistol grip) English stock and matching fore.....And a case hardened ,cool metal color treatment, reciever for future project.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-02-2017 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Up date

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

That leaves me with a straight (no pistol grip) English stock and matching fore.....And a case hardened ,cool metal color treatment, reciever for future project.
    Sounds like the start of a 45-70 single shot British express rifle. You need one for old times sake since I have been told you are responsible for the demise of the last woolly mammoth in Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Sounds like the start of a 45-70 single shot British express rifle. You need one for old times sake since I have been told you are responsible for the demise of the last woolly mammoth in Wisconsin.
    Actually I do have a 45/70 in the short barrel.....would like to find a Buffalo Special that has the straight stock and long barrel.
    Would match the 38/55 Target Model...

Any way....it has been brought up that the last mammoth did meet his demise in "My area".......not saying I had anything (ahem) to do with it.
    https://museums.kenosha.org/public/e...public-museum/

Actually was discussing the possibility of a special hunting season of cloned from DNA mammoths in Wisconsin.

There was a humorous article in a Wisconsin Outdoors Magazine dealing with this possibility
    I wrote a letter in response and was answered by the author of the article.
    Need to look for that

The politician's and DNR got all bogged down on permit system, group hunts, (after all have you ever tried to drag a mammoth), land ownership privileges, primitive or modern weapons, trackable atlatl shafts, ...or if carbon fiber is allowed on spears......and tracking skills.

So...maybe the old question... ".22 will kill anything on the planet...it's all about sight picture"...will be answered.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-02-2017 at 06:46 PM.

BTW....just scored a 25-06 barrel...
    The sickness continues....LOL
    Couple more to go.

You've got it bad.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yes I do.......On to the next one

I saw a real effective deer kill with a 25-06 back in 1975. A kid I had as a student invited me to hunt his grandad's farm. I had been helping the kid learn to reload and he was getting real good with his new rifle. He was exploding 2 liter bottles way out there.

We were walking back to the trucks down a tractor road after a nothing day and I spotted a big buck prancing along the other side of a bean field at about 400 yards. The kid was carrying his 25-06 and I had a 30-30. I grabbed him by the coat collar and shuffled him to the fence and told him to "shoot that deer!".

He argued that since I saw it I should shoot it and between me arguing that I could not reach it with the 30-30 it almost trotted out of sight.

He finally set the rifle across a fence post and fired. I watched through binoculars and saw a blue cloud come out the far side. The deer dropped like a rock and we started walking.

When we got to the deer it had a little bitty hole in the side facing us, so I turned it over. You could have dropped a cantaloupe into the hole on the other side. Heart and lungs were about gone.

Good tenderloin on that deer I remember.

I think cantelopes must come in micro size in your area, and the deer are really small. cause at 400 yds, the 25-06 is down to about 1000 ft lbs of energy and by your story, the deer was a lot further away than that, cause he was moving while you two argued about who should shoot it.
    Last edited by jayd; 08-04-2017 at 02:13 AM.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Up date.....
    Gander Mountain...store about empty....mostly clothes....lots small pink clothes.....
    Fishing lures 90% off.....
    Gun dept. completely closed down...shrinking the size of the sales floor with yellow tape.

Scored a box of Federal 25-06 90 gr.....$15 bucks.

Shot shell, and odds and ends of loading a muzzle loader stuff.

Sooo, Yeah think my "Mint Rare Gander Mountain Camo hat" is worth $120 bucks?

Yeah, I stopped in our local Gander last week. If I wore size 13 I would have really scored.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by jayd View Post
    I think cantelopes must come in micro size in your area, and the deer are really small. cause at 400 yds, the 25-06 is down to about 1000 ft lbs of energy and by your story, the deer was a lot further away than that, cause he was moving while you two argued about who should shoot it.
    Hey I missed this post!

We could have spent a week with Gunkid trying to convince me I did not see what I saw and the 25-06 was not capable of doing what his silenced Ruger 10/22 could do.

He did not know the bullet weight or construction, he did not know the velocity of the round, he did not know the placement of the shot or the exact range of the shot. He just knew he wanted to argue.

He would have probably tried to tell me the deer did not taste good with its innards vaporized like that either.

We do not have a Gander Mountain anywhere near me. I think there was on up near Dayton and it was in the middle of nowhere, not connected to any large mall or venue. I am sure that one has shut down too.

They are probably having a difficult time competing with the Cabella/Bass-pro situation.