Thread: JP Sauer and Sohn "western marshall" .357

Default JP Sauer and Sohn "western marshall" .357

Hey all. I am a proud new owner of the afore mentioned pistolo. My uncle has one when I was a kid and I fell in love with it. I've done my research. I know they're not worth a lot but every old review I read their owners had nothing bad to say. My question, does anyone here have any experience with one of these or have a source for more intimate knowledge? Everything I've found dates these from 60's-70's. My serial is xxxx/3. I just have a sneaking suspicion that /3 means 63 or 73 and the other number are sequential build but I could very well be wrong. Call me off but I love having every bit.of history I can get on used guns I buy. Just got it today, haven't shot it yet but weather permitting my daughter and I will put 100 or so through it tomorrow.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That pistol has been imported for nearly 50 years by one firm or another. JP Sauer and Son, then as the Hawes Western Marshal and of late by the EAA (European American Arms) group with no specific name applied but the cylinders still being stamped with the HWM letters.

They are being made with a redesigned lockwork that includes a transfer bar like the Ruger revolvers.

They are good, solid, safe revolvers that come out of the box a little rough inside but the burrs come off the internals with a little stoning and reducing the sear notch just a hair will give you a real good action and trigger.

I have been shooting one in .44mag for several years. There is a picture of it on a thread here somewhere. I would post another if Photobutt were not holding my photos for ransom.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-05-2017 at 10:50 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thank you kyrs. Sorry such a late reply, been busy as usual but what's new. Yes, I reasearched everything I could find online which wasnt a lot. More info on it now that I have put a few rounds through it. The guy I bought it from said he did cowboy action shooting with it. I'm thinking he's had some action polishing and trigger work on it. The action ain't silky smooth but maybe saying? The trigger on it is dang near hair. 30yds was the furthest my daughter and I shot it. She's kinda green but it grouped well enough for me at that range I'd feel comfortable trying to take a deer with it.

The action on most single action revolvers is not going to be silky smooth like a well polished S&W. There is different geometry going on in a SA. It is going to make a series of clicks and distinct steps in the feel of the machinery and then lock up solid. If timed properly the clicks will almost ring like a bell.

Does yours have the transfer bar or is it the old style with out the transfer bar? That transfer bar creates a lot of friction and makes the action feel gritty unless you get inside there and polish the channel it runs in and the bar itself, along with the axis it rides on on the hammer.

One little trick from the Doc Holliday and Wild Bill era: Get a piece of thick leather like you would use for a knife sheath or holster and make a hole in it big enough for the mainspring screw to fit through. Then place the leather between the mainspring and frame of the pistol and tighten the screw. Trim it down so you can put the grips back on.

The leather will cushion the blow of the hammer fall and will make cocking the action seem easier and will not take any power away from the mainspring. I found that done to an original '36 Navy Colt that was once brought to me for repair.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-12-2017 at 08:23 PM.

No Sir, no transfer bar just the firing pin. I may well give the leather a try. I know a native artist makes knives and grips and such. He has some elk antler and wants to make me some grips for it. Would be a perfect time to try the leather. Thank you.

I love those old three screw SA revolvers. The things you can do to slick them up are amazing. Yours is almost identical internally to the old Colt SSA.

I used to do action reworks on the old three screw Ruger Blackhawks before they introduced the transfer bar to save us from ourselves. You just can not make the new ones as slick as those old models.

No I had no idea it was that close to an SAA. All I know is it tops my list of favorites I've owned. It ain't goin nowhere, it'll be with me till I depart for greener pastures then go to a daughter or my grandson. Ive got the go ahead from my friend to bring the grips over so he can use them for a template for the elk horns. I've been scouring Pinterest and got my ideas down to make a slim Jim rig for it. Next payday I'll hit the local saddle shop and get the leather I need. Deer season is right around the corner.