Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flying ducks with arrows

water fowl being a migratory bird may fall under federal regs
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Oh yeah, water fowl is without a doubt federal. You have to get a state and.federal stamp to hunt them, but i'm not for sure how the regs are formed. I'm guessing they come from the fed level and the states just copy from there and add any additional they see fit but I could be wrong.

As a young teen round 1960 I had a fiberglass recurve bow, and a half dozen target tipped wood arrows. A couple of the arrows had the tips broken off. Living on a farm under a major migration flyway in Minnesota in the fall the sky held a lot of V’s. One particularly low flying V came over while I had a tip-less arrow knocked. I shot nearly straight up. At the height they were flying, I am sure the upward velocity of the arrow was nearly spent when it hit a duck wing about midway on the wing. The bird rocked but never missed a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    do you still need a waterfowl stamp to hut ducks with a bow?
    Naw...not if you are "Survivin'".....so no rules apply....just a free pass on anything you can your hands on....when you lose your truck,.. for a day or two...
    Ducks, deer, bears, free food at the food bank...anything......you are survivin"? Right..?

AND if you get caught because someone else's definition or survivin' is different......You still get 3 hots and a cot...and color TV.....
    Just don't drop the soap.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Surviving is really not all that difficult depending on the time of year. For example. If you are truly lost during duck season, take the plug out of your gun. A game warden will appear out of nowhere. Presto. You are found!

#1 wife reads a lot of books. Mostly Historical Fiction type books with female heroines who overcome insurmountable odds to survive (succeed). I guess she can relate somehow… but anyway… She recently read and related to me one she read about a 15 year old girl in New Mexico sometime in the early 20th century who traveled to someplace in Arizona to become a teacher. She spent some 20 some odd days traveling alone on horseback to get to her new job. I don't know the actually circumstances of her travels but I doubt she stayed in a Holiday Inn Express every night. That "every day life" back then is far and above any "survival" situation that any of us are likely to find ourselves in today. A survival situation these days is likely going to come about if a person is severely injured and cannot walk or has not told someone where they are going or if they are going. Even then the likelihood of it lasting 20 days is fairly remote. They certainly will not be seining rivers for fish or building bows and arrows to shoot ducks under those conditions.

Survival situations these days are geared toward facilitating and expediting rescue, not salting fish or putting up moose meat.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 08-06-2017 at 07:24 AM.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I have to agree with Alan. If you have followed this summers searches for lost hikers and climbers, their best bet for being rescued is to buy and carry a SPOT satellite signal device. Especially at my age, if I go out in the bush, I always carry my SPOT. Too easy at 77 yrs, to fall and break a leg, or fall and be unable to get upright with out help. As I live alone, it might be days before I am missed.
    Geezer Squad #2

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Surviving is really not all that difficult depending on the time of year. For example. If you are truly lost during duck season, take the plug out of your gun. A game warden will appear out of nowhere. Presto. You are found!
    That' no joke...They show up...go thru your shell bag......check 150 Remington #4's and T shot......148 Ultra Steel 3"...and 2 Ultra mag lead.....those 2 cost $100 bucks apiece.
    They write you a ticket....then leave ya there..... Lost!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27