Thread: the age of infinite wisdom

Default the age of infinite wisdom

I have a question about the age of infinite wisdom. Generally it starts in the teen years and can go to whatever age. Some folks never develop it, some folks never get over it. A tell tell sign is when some of those folks get a little older they will comment how much smarter their dad got as he got older.

anyhoo my question is simple. Do y'all think the world wide web and or reality television shows have increased this condition of "the age of infinite wisdom" ? or is it about the same as it has always been?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I think that one has increased the accessibility of information and the other has increased the entertainment value of television. Sadly, too many of today's snowflakes cannot distinguish either from reality. A recent example here, on this forum is...........aw heck - you've seen the posts.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

that's what I thought too
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

One needs to put information in context and have some continuity........
    Massive information blasts of random information......just gets ...."silly",....and it shows.
    But what do I know......I'm a Geezer....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

There is now, has always been and will always be a huge difference between being smart, having lots of information at ones disposal and actually having done the deed.

There have always been people who spread information about things they have not actually done. They appear to be very smart. There are also people who lie. I know that probably comes as a shock, but it's true, people lie. There are people who pretend to be something they aren't and to have done things they have never done.

The internet and television reality shows have probably contributed more to the proliferation of internet commandos and reality show wannabes than any other source. I don't watch many of the reality shows like Naked and Afraid, or this Alone show that y'all talk about. I watch Life Below Zero and I glean some information from it. There are some of those folks who are BSC (Bat $h!t Crazy). But some of them will have some interesting info at times, AND they really are actually there in the Alaskan wilderness. The directors may take some liberties but those people do actually live there which may be a major factor in their special brand of craziness. That other show about the little port in Alaska is kind of interesting too. Live Free or Die probably should.

But, if you watch the shows and have Google you too can be right in there with them and you can spout off anonymously on the internet about how wonderful you are.

I do it all the time but in my case, it's all true!

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 08-04-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Bohahahaha....Yeah we know......

Never let details get in the way of a good story.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

And then there is the other aspect of the question that must be considered.

You can't fix dumb@$$!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    And then there is the other aspect of the question that must be considered.

You can't fix dumb@$$!
    No, but you can play around with it for a while until you are no longer entertained.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'l second that motion.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    No, but you can play around with it for a while until you are no longer entertained.
    Hey! Don't mess around on that for too long, we have a pool going and my number is getting close.

Anyone that wants in PM me.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

People pick up things as they mature. One is the understanding that no one, not even self, is perfect and that there are consequences, both good and bad, to every action and decision. Self-centeredness grades into a perception of others as important entities. That's physiological. It's just a fact that the brain doesn't mature until the 20s and it looks to me that some folks simply never grow up - I think that's a consequence of human domestication and that technology provides the illusion that we no longer need to be concerned about our own security and that we no longer have to rely on each other for our survival.

But the thing that got Socrates killed was the fact that he had a disconcerting knack for proving to people that they didn't know what they were talking about. And that is also part of growing up - we have to come to the point of being dis-illusioned. We have to realize that they world that's "out there" and the one in our heads are just approximations of each other and that the only way to grasp reality at all is to do so intentionally. Yet, Socrates was right, the unexamined life is not worth living and so, we're living in a world of zombies who think they know everything but have never even taken the steps to know themselves.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I know exactly what you mean. I've met a lot of people out there that no matter what you talk about, they act like they know everything. And those people who do that, and think they know everything are very irritating to those of us who actually do.

This is one of my favorites concerning the age of infinite wisdom…

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

lol, access to info is great but a person needs to have some life experience to make judgments in regards to info. Maybe it's more like a BS meter developed by getting kicked around some by life.

You can not gain that experience if you are safely tucked away in mom's basement.

true dat..........

"You don't get to be a wise old Fox until you've been run by the hounds a few times." - unknown

Alan

Knowledge, Intelligence, and Wisdom are three very different critters. One says how to do something, the next says how to do it safely, and the third says maybe I shouldn't do it at all. Wisdom is often hard won but the most valuable of the three in the long run.

D.O.M.