Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I agree with Fowler, an axe is a wasted pick on the Alone TV show

You've also made the comment three or four times "a clear 1/4 million $". You will pay taxes on that at the rate of 33%, that's Canadian, which happens to be the same as America for that particular amount. That means you will only have 167,500 to mull over. Then there are provential taxes to consider. If you happen to be a US resident then you, will of course get to claim a cool $250,00 out of country income for both state and federal. The 33% will be taken up front. You won't have the opportunity to screw the government over. The rest of it you probably won't pay since, based on your other posts, I doubt you pay taxes.

Slightly off topic, but uh...

Anybody know where you can watch Alone without a cable subscription? I already watched the first few free episodes from season one but can't watch the others.

Jayd has it playing 24/7 in his Mom's basement. You want his address?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Hard to watch it without a subscription or 3rd party host. Sometimes you can catch an episode on You-tube before they black it out for copyright.

Lots of sub services are available real cheap for viewing right off the computer with most services being available for $20-$30 monthly.

I use Sling with a "jumper cable" from the computer to the tv and watch almost everything the cable company wants to charge me $150 a month to see.

There are other services available for around the same price. I chose Sling because it requires no extra equipment, it was cheap, and was activated immediately. There was a NASCAR race running in 2 hours and I needed FS1 access fast!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-09-2017 at 06:46 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

We get four channels while living in the camper. All are pbs. Two cartoon channels, one cooking show and the other is music. Except for the morning news, I don't really miss all the channels.

As for me and to take an axe or not. If I could only take one item it would probably be an axe. Even over a knife. I carry a leatherman. It's not big enough to do much. The pliers and screw driver get used because I get too lazy to walk over and get the right tool. I use the knife to cut twine or open a box.

I think it comes down to the individual and to some extent the environment. If you look at our society, neither tool has managed to replace the other one, because neither tool is really "better." Axes can cause injuries, but so can other tools, and the chance of injury will decrease if you know what you are doing. Given the massive history of people using axes successfully, I don't think a couple of people getting injured is enough evidence to conclude that an axe is a poor choice. That's my opinion on this anyway.

My point of view comes from The time I spend in South African bush, for periods for 2 days through to 7 days.. from Various seasons, winter,summer,autumn, spring.
    Various Biomes, from Forrest woodland/jungle (Magoebaskloof/Tzneen), ocean Jungle Mntuntzini (Natal), mountainous regions (From MagailesBurg through To Rhodes), The highveld area (magaliesburg, Bronkhorst Spruit, cullinun) etc.. I have survived Pretty much everywhere in southern Africa, in every season, in every weather condition one can imagine.
    I have never gone longer than 7 Days "Surviving"
    I have used Axes, yes.. BUT I have not "survived" for long periods of time, well not longer than 7 Days.
    I find For myself a saw is easier, it cuts wood Precisely how I want it cut.
    For Fires, I find mostly deadfall and twigs and branches. For tinder, usually Elephant Grass.. (its everywhere here)
    Our climate is generally quite arrid, and in more Humid and wet areas, it is still easy to find Something dry.
    I very very very rarely have to batton any wood for fire making, I only have to baton things if I want to make something, like say for instance a Hearth Board for a bow drill.
    It's Just what works for me in my region.
    In other regions where there is high rain fall, and everything is generally wet, then Sure yes an Axe maybe better as you have to split a lot of wood to get dry sections of it.
    I am just advocating, Your OWN style, what works for you, This is what works For me, and its taken me about 3 years of expeditions to Hone my kit to serve My style and skill.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

That all been said, I am not an alone constant. Only one guy I know on this forum actually was. We don't have limitations of 10 kit items! You get to pack your own survival kits and crash into the woodlands and make it happen however you see it fit. I like a small compact kit and keeping it as light as I can. You can do differently you can take both! Why not?
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If we are to limit our activities based on how many people injure themselves on Alone then we need to mandate that no one walk around in the outdoors. More contestants have injured themselves while walking around than any other activity.

We should also abandon all relationships since about 50% of the contestants go home due to being homesick for spouse or children.

Being in an outdoor environment while using edged tools is inherently dangerous. It is one of the reasons the Boy Scouts used to have a chip system, where a kid earned their knife chip or ax chip by passing the safety and proper use tests. Those items were invented by the first cave man and handed to the next one with the advice "don't cut yourself that stone ax is sharp!"

There are common sense rules for their use, just like there are common sense rules for firearms handling and common sense rules for driving a 3000 pound missile down the highway. If you violate those rules due to ignorance or exhaustion you are going to get hurt.

It is also amazing to me that each and every knife and ax injury has been captured on film. The simple distraction of talking to the camera seems enough to cause injury in the same way that talking on a cell phone can cause a walking or driving accident. It they tried to turn on the camera, chew bubble gun, talk and chop wood at the same time someone would surly die!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-10-2017 at 08:56 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Axe. with AN "E" hahah my ocd Is flaring. I blame Britain For colonizing South Africa for so long.

I dont see the argument about injuring yourself.. I am With Kyratshooter on the injury Point.
    My Point of Saw vs Axe use is based on my own preference and experience, and what works better for myself.

Tools...any kind can and will hurt you if used wrong or not paying attention.
    That is ALL and ANY tools.

Even a smart phone.....can get you in all sorts of trouble in you don't "like" the wrong person.

Called "survivin'"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'll take a Hatchet any day, it serves as a hammer, it cuts wood, it cuts meat! It just feels right having it out in the field! If I was in then jungle I would take a machete! You can re sharpen an axe, but not a saw!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 08-10-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF