Thread: been accumulating

Default been accumulating

Sadly not many more firearms other than a marlin papoose instead I been picking up a few accessories and such. I picked up a tanker holster for my 1911 or my ruger 22/45 or what ever else might stuff in there. Also got a calvary holster with a half flap for my 45 auto rim revolvers. I'm in the mood to pick up some period correct slings for some mausers, arisakas and misc. The next thing on my list is new rollers, firing pin and extractor for my cz-52. It's functioning fine but I figure to spiff it up.

On a side note I can buy 351 self loader brass but 30-40 krag is still obsolete LOL, it's not like it's 6mm lee navy or something like that.

hope this economy holds long enough to get geared back up lol
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Tanker holster.... canvas or leather?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

leather reproduction from Sarco
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

No sadly about it. It is always important to accessorize.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The "accessory" to get, while you can, is 10k+ rds of .22lr. 100k rds would be a lot more like it, really.

I have a couple rounds

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I have a couple rounds
    You probably have more rounds, casings and bullets in calibers that most people have never heard of than most people have ammunition stored.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, if you look up "ammunition" in the dictionary odds are Randy's picture will be there.

When a guy shoots 50,000 or more rds per year, as any top competitor must (to keep his edge) having a few hundred thousand rds around (or at least, the components to make same) just makes sense. But it's also a huge temptation. I once laid in what I thought was a "lifetime supply", of 100,000 .45 components and 100k rds of .22l. 4 years later, it was all gone. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jayd View Post
    When a guy shoots 50,000 or more rds per year, as any top competitor must (to keep his edge) having a few hundred thousand rds around (or at least, the components to make same) just makes sense. But it's also a huge temptation. I once laid in what I thought was a "lifetime supply", of 100,000 .45 components and 100k rds of .22l. 4 years later, it was all gone. :-)
    Aw man, tough break.....I hate getting robbed....
    Time to start over.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Oh, man. Had to high 5 you on that one.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

lots and lots of ammunition and firearms is awesome but I pity the fella that has lots of guns and ammo and no cleaning rod, solvent, slings, spare parts kits, holsters, sights, molds, dies, etc.etc. I've seen it, not even enough food to last a week in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    lots and lots of ammunition and firearms is awesome but I pity the fella that has lots of guns and ammo and no cleaning rod, solvent, slings, spare parts kits, holsters, sights, molds, dies, etc.etc. I've seen it, not even enough food to last a week in some cases.
    But wait! Won't these keyboard commandos just take what they need? At least that's what I hear so many of them say. Real world vs fantasy land.............not so much.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

plenty of them will do exactly that, and your neighbors will, too. The piles of ammo aint for shtf, it's for training until shtf. I pity the man who has no silencer for his fighting rifle, no luminous sights, no night vision, no soft armor, no below ground shelter, no buried empty drums, so that he can transfer his food to an un-findable spot, from the (for now) better option of being in a storage unit (opened by granny). Shtf is not yet, but having Big Brother come after you DOES happen. Just ask the Bundy's, the Branch Davidians, the MOVE group, Randy Weaver and countless others. Having all your stuff in your home is just asking to lose it all.

Once shtf, if you have to fire 200 rds of centerfire and/or 500 rds of rimfire, in 10 years, you'll be dead, cause you're going at it all wrong.

I once fired 24,000 rds of .45 ACP in 6 weeks. Cast bullets with Tamarack 50/50 beeswax/Alox lube, dirty old Bullseye powder, loaded on a Star progressive loader, same 3000 rds of brass (down to 1000 rds by the end) I lived and loaded in a mess-tent, in a pasture. There was no cleaning of the brass. I cleaned the Mk IV 1911 govt model 8x, no malfunctions blamable on the gun. I had a couple of old GI mags crap out, and I had a few bullets stick in the barrel, due to the loader coming to me without the lead weight that's supposed to press down the powder. I did not realize (until that batch of reloads) that I could not just leave the powder in the measure constantly. It drew moisture and "bridged over", like wet sand. I only brushed out the bore a couple of times, cause I was using primer-only wax bulleted ammo to train students on an old sweep hand fast draw timer. I had made up an honest ton of clean, #2 Lyman alloy. The 750 fps, 230 gr load, with such alloy, just did not foul the bore.

So, cleaning of the gun, for combat usage, is not all that big a deal, as long as you keep it lubed, even if you shoot it a lot (which wont be the case if shtf. ) That baloney is a holdover from the days of black powder and corrosive primers.
    Last edited by jayd; 08-05-2017 at 11:00 AM.

You're gonna need a Faraday Cage for that hat.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'll bet the neighbors were glad when that 6 weeks was up. 10 mags an hour x 8 hrs per day x 7 days a week for 6 weeks. No stopping for lunch and then load at least 571 rounds every night at .20 cents a round = approx $4800 in components = time. It must have been a full time job.

Alan

You can tell a lot of rounds are going through that barrel. It's already starting to glow orange.

good old Earl Parrot carried his handgun with a string tied to the trigger guard and then the string slung over his shoulder. No holster for Earl, no sirree.