Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge stump

Default Huge stump

I have a huge stump that I want to remove, and I heard that you can drill strategic holes in it and create a rocket stove out of it whereas it will burn itself from the inside out? Has anybody tried it?
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

Just know where the root system goes, or more specifically goes under.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ouh Ouh Ouh ...Black powder......Yeah big BOOM....love blowing stuff up.....?

OR tire around stump....?

Or....not near as much fun.....RTU Stump Remover

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...xoC7rMQAvD_BwE
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You do not have to get as radical as the video shown.

You can drill a 1"-2" hole or three down from the top and then drill holes low to the ground that connect and get air into the vertical holes. Pour some kerosene all over the mess and light it.

It will take a couple of days to burn out a big stump and after it catches the fire will follow the root system as Crash warned.

I have three big stumps about 2' each with long root systems that go under my house. I have hesitated to burn them out due to that.

I was just looking at renting a stump grinder from the local tool guru. They have a tracked industrial sized unit I can rent for $150 per day, and since I have three stumps to remove it would be cost effective for me to do so, since a grinder will remove the stumps very quickly.

I have already been quoted a $1500 price for their removal so I am saving $1350 by renting the grinder. That is unless it gets away from me and grinds its way through the house.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That is one of two machines that have the warning...."Warning This machine will Freaking kill you"....
    The other is a trencher w/4 foot boom.

They charge you for a full day......
    1 hour to rent, pick it up, bring it home and unload it......
    3 hours of OMG, OMG OMG.....after you start it up.
    1 hour to do the job.
    1 hour to return it.
    2 hours at the saloon....
    .....you stop shaking after about 6 quick shots.....(1/2 hour) ...then 1-1/2 celebrating that you are still alive.

Hello, Stump Guy?

I had a neighbor decided to rent one of those. He looked at me and asked...you have a hitch on your truck?

Uh, yeah...no. No, I am not going to go load that thing up for you. No. 'Cause then I would be the neighborhood expert on stump removers. Momma didn't raise no stupid kids. Well, there is my brother but that's a whole 'nuther story.

I think it was Wild Eagle or someone that told the story of building a stump fire that burned back through the roots and set his tent on fire. Woke up in the wee hours of the morning with a fire way too close and way too big.

I only build them in the winter....

Start a tree on fire at the base...., and it will self feed all night....just kinda sliding down into the fire.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-02-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Oh, man. No good can come of that!

3:00 a.m.: "Oops. Timber!!"
    Neighbor in bed: "Oh, crap. Not again."

I'll rent the machine and park it in front of the house beside one of the stumps just before 4 in the afternoon. When the young guys that still work for a living come home they will see the machine and stop to ask about it.

Before you know it I will have a Tom Sawyer, "hold my beer and watch this" thing going on and the stumps will all be a pile of chips and dirt before dark falls.

My trees don't fall straight into the ground they sort of go sideways and crush stuff as they fall. I have one in the back yard right now that is going to be a 40 foot long campfire before sometime this fall.

I've heard that you can drill holes in the stump, fill the holes with corn and let the hogs root it out.

Well a landscaper guy quoted me $350 to remove it, I'm thinking I can do it cheaper than that! But I sure don't want to burn the house down either!!! It is only about 10 feet from the house with a major root heading toward the house!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Well a landscaper guy quoted me $350 to remove it, I'm thinking I can do it cheaper than that! But I sure don't want to burn the house down either!!! It is only about 10 feet from the house with a major root heading toward the house!
    What's the deductible on your fire insurance?

I bet it's more than $350!

It is possible to dig your stump out. It should take all day if you can dig pretty fair. Usually there is at least one space between the roots you can dig a deep hole and drag the dirt from around all the roots to the hole then take out the dirt. If I did another, which I don't think I will, I would use a garden hose to wash the dirt out from under all those roots, then use the chain saw on the clean roots. It would all be tough to do in heavy clay. It's not easy in sand, but I've done much harder work.
    The people I know who used to farm new ground with mules and lots of stumps just left them there and hoed off the suckers from the stumps till they rotted.
    I never tried burning them out only because the older folks told me it wouldn't work very good. I never saw (except on the internet) drilling the holes in it to make a draft and fan the fire. I would suspect the stump fire would usually go out when the holes burned out. Sort of like throwing one big log on the coals in the wood stove and thinking it would burn all night...it won't.
    I did see something on the internet that seems like it should burn them out. They used a fan or a leaf blower to feed enough oxygen to the stump fire. You can just use a garden hose and soda to put it out when you're done. Then cover it with dirt to mske sure there are no tunnels to feed oxygen to the fire.

Had a big cotton wood tree cut down in the backyard.....20 years ago.

Must have been 80 ft tall...(bucket truck had 60ft boom)...and the guy crawled out with climbers and ropes.

Had the stump ground out ....the roots are still rotting underground and caving in...which I have been filling in.

I can't see how a green stump can burn very well even with holes and an accelerant....or the roots?

Anyway let us know how you make out.......

Dig a tree stump out in a day?

Wiping tears out of eyes. Okay. No seriously. With a stump grinder. Sure. I'm a guy that has to think about paying a kid to take the mail to the mailbox at the end of the drive. Or back the truck the 25 feet there.

That is funny.....did a couple back in the day....to put in a brick patio..
    Never again.
    Two others have... "water feature"...on one stump....and a "wishing well" in the other...those stumps are still there.

the best way is to drill some holes in the dirt at a angle around the perimeter of the stump. Drill them deep, 5 foot or so. Fill these holes with grain, then put a electric fence around the stump and turn in a few hogs. They will root the stump out for you. This is the "green" method.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Dig a tree stump out in a day?

Wiping tears out of eyes. Okay. No seriously. With a stump grinder. Sure. I'm a guy that has to think about paying a kid to take the mail to the mailbox at the end of the drive. Or back the truck the 25 feet there.
    Yea, what he said!

If I can't get a grinder those stumps will be there for the next guy to worry about. Only reason I am worrying with them now is they are a pain to mow around. If I am not willing to weed eat around them I am sure not digging them out by hand, and I am fresh out of hogs right now, have been for some time.

How is a Harley gonna pull a stump?