Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Huge stump

Dig out a stump? Well.................if it's on the internet it must be true.............just not at my homestead.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm always awed when traveling through farm country around my area. Most of those stumps were removed back in the day before tractors and such. Team of horses and brute labor.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Yep, I've dug out stumps. And probably lots of other things that people from the city would think is too hard of work...or impossible. At 66 I'd dig them out every day for $350.

I find them easier to dig out if the tree is cut off about 4 foot from the ground, it gives a good lever to tug on with the tractor or truck
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    Yep, I've dug out stumps. And probably lots of other things that people from the city would think is too hard of work...or impossible. At 66 I'd dig them out every day for $350.
    You may have yourself a job......what do you think....?

Another stump story....
    Had a "stub ag access road" put in in 1990 to get on my property.....was real steep...but as an Ag access road...didn't have to conform to any codes.....driveways you do.

Anyway, came in from the road and had a tight right hand turn...to my hill road.

Had a big box elder tree to the right, in the ditch on the inside side of the turn.

2004 ...Had my digger guy change the stub road to come in straight form the west....so as to get the cabin hauled in a straighter shot.

Had to cut the tree down....left a stump about 20" in dia.....and seem to defy any attempt to rot it out.
    Holes drilled ...stump rot, salt.... more holes...
    THe stump wasn't the only problem... it sent up sucker every year....and I would shoot them down....every year.

Year before last...the fiber optic people were putting in their lines........but the first location was right at the end of my driveway.

Walked up there and ask them if they really want to put a connection tower there?.....as the fire number post has been hit by the snow plow every winter...right next to it.

The called their boss...and agreed that maybe down along side may be a better spot?

So as they had a hoe there...ask them to dig out that stump...as it was right next to it.

Guy left it there....but dumped some stuff on it....was completely gone in a month....

GOOD STUFF.....LOL
    Last edited by hunter63; 08-03-2017 at 09:21 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

For sure. Or the bulldozer....lol. When they are cut off short, it's tough and the dozer driver is perturbed or you make it hard on yourself.

when I go through the Posen area I always think about the work it took to clear those fields. No dozers back then.

Yup, backhoe/excavator would take care of it but, renting one would be pricey.

Rebel, the bulldozer is for many stumps when you clear an area.
    RandyT Hard workin polacks in posen. Nice neat farms. Some of the older ones work pretty hard on negotiating a price for work too haha. You can bet the whole family was out there hoeing the suckers off those stumps along with the weeds for many years to make it what it is today. That and then they had to put all them rocks on the stone boats. Some of those farms that were passed on to their children have become a sight to see.
    But, it was the same everywhere....not enough to really make a living then by todays standards. Today we are lucky. We can make almost 1/2 of what the big cities make. I wouldn't trade it.
    Hunter I'd like to know what he dumped on the stump.

Rebel, the bulldozer is for many stumps when you clear an area
    I grew up on a farm. Gramps and the folks had a Deere 450 and cat d-5. I've cleared land. Thanks for the education(sarc).
    BTW, I didn't write anything about using a dozer.
    Last edited by rebel; 08-03-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Hunter I'd like to know what he dumped on the stump.
    Yeah..I would like to know as well......
    I'm sure they can get products to use the regular people can't.

Went to town.....came back expecting to see the stump gone.....

Was still there...with some yellowing stuff on it ..looked like it had been thick liquid.

Didn't take long.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

haha Rebel....no offense taken

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

$350 would not even cover the co-pay on my medical insurance for the damage I would do trying to dig out a stump.

Last year I slipped and fell walking across the lawn to put gas in my mower and it wound up putting me out of commission for 8 months and cost me $1500 + whatever the hospital and doctors got out of the insurance company!

I'm not even going to kick the bark off that stump. I would probably break my toe, gangrene would set in and they would have to amputate my whole leg!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I was only looking for an easy way that was cheaper than $350, I'm thinking it's too big to grind!
    Sir Knife Collectin, Rocket Ridin, Girl Crazy Post
    Hoe of WSF

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Nail a couple of boards to the top of it and call it a picnic table.

There is no such thing as a stump too big to grind. There are only guys that do not have a machine big enough to grind the stump they are looking at.

Around our area they charge by the inch diameter so the bigger the better and if they do not have a big enough machine they borrow or rent one.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?