Thread: To whoever lives in Arkansas.

Default To whoever lives in Arkansas.

Hello, my name is Joshua and im moving my family to Arkansas somewhere in the ozark mountain range probably the boston mountains due to the elevation but we are Preppers and we are wondering where the best areas are in that General region for growing food as well as hunting and safe enough distance from cities and largely populated areas. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

…… ,,,,,, ?????

Take along a few punctuation marks just in case.

Years ago I thought that northern Arkansas was where I wanted to live. I made four or five trips up there looking around, talking to people, and pricing land. Some things I found out were:

*That while land was cheap, most locals do not acknowledge property rights much less respect them. They've been hunting on that mountain their whole lives, just like their pappy and their pappy's pappy's pappy.

*They don't like outsiders. But, If you have a lot of racial, ethnic and cultural biases and prejudices (depending on what they are) then you may find it easy to assimilate.

*You need to already have money before you go to live there because there's not going to be any to get after you're there. Unless you're going to sell your soul to Tyson's Chicken, put up a chicken house or three, there's just not much of an economy outside of growing pot or cooking meth, and that's a whole nuther problem. Did I mention they don't like outsiders?

I'm sure there's a lot of nice people up there. For me, the cons far outweighed the pros.

Hope this helps.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 07-29-2017 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by perspective06 View Post
    Hello, my name is Joshua and im moving my family to Arkansas somewhere in the ozark mountain range probably the boston mountains due to the elevation but we are Preppers and we are wondering where the best areas are in that General region for growing food as well as hunting and safe enough distance from cities and largely populated areas. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome......From Wisconsin.
    You didn't say much about your self so...kinda hard to know what to tell you.

Where are you from now?
    Why wanting to relocate?
    What skills do you and your family have?
    How big is your family...(referring to size of dwelling)

Being a prepper.......what have you prepped?...
    BTW I wouldn't mention that when looking for a new home.....
    Many people consider "preppers" as gun toting, terrorist, outside trouble makers...

That a start...and what Alan R McDaniel Jr said.....

Bought a "Place"to build my "homestead" in 1989....still that "city guy'.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I can assure you that attempting to break down the walls and gain entry to a southern clan (family) culture is going to be impossible. Not difficult, but impossible.

And a "good old boys" network is a dangerous thing to stand up against.

Been there, done that, still paying the price 30 years latter.

I do not know why Arkansas has become the mecca of the prepper crowd lately. It was Idaho until the FBI started shooting anything that moved. then the movie stars bought up lots of land and the prices went sky high.

At least Idaho was relatively empty. Arkansas already has a population of native preppers that can outlast the urban immigrants due to 2 centuries of training.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yeah. Western NC can be like that. I heard a chainsaw on our land and went to investigate. The gramps of the surrounding land was almost through. I asked what was up. He said he shot a coon last night and it got stuck. He was retrieving it. Not a blink or apology whatsoever. We've been gong there for 30 something years.

But we are recognized and have been getting the one finger wave on the mountainroads.

We mind our business and they leave us be.

I saw prepper advertisement for that area. A family was converting their farm and leasing log cabins on five acres. The farm had a couple of ponds. A community garden. They had plans for an underground bunker that would house the "members". You had to interview to buy in and, you had to buy into the bunker prep. The year or more of food for each of your family. You couldn't sell or sub-lease unless it was approved. Kind of creepy.

My wife had family down there. That's all I need to say 'bout that. The whole bunch was a bit different. One of the first times they visited I tracked my wife down and told her what one of them said then I asked her, "Do I need to go back there and laugh or go back there and say, 'yeah, me too.'?". She just shook her head. God forbid that one of them would say, "hold my beer." Their hands would be full.

Welcome to the forum Joshua. As you can tell from the name of the Forum this site is all about wilderness camping and the skills needed/necessary to enjoy CAMPING in the wilderness. Do you do more back packing or car camping? Canoeing? Trail riding with pack horses? More a through hiker or a weekender? Northwest Arkansas is quite beautiful and has some amazing CAMPING. I have hunted and camped in the Oklahoma portion of the Boston Mountains many times (We call them the Cookson Hills) There are two state OWNED Wildlife Management Areas there where you can put in for draw hunt for Elk and also White tail deer. In Arkansas there are some great HIKING trails and state CAMPgrounds. Because of the current "boom" in tourism and the oil field, land prices are pretty steep. An undeveloped 5 acres with NO fences, NO water(other than surface) and NO road on the steep side of a hill may cost as much as $1500 per acre (15 years ago it would have been $250 per acre). Just a quick check on the internet tonight I found several places with anywhere from 15 to 30 acres for $38,000 to $85,000. What kind of work do you do? Have you looked at the job market in Searcy, or Jasper. WalMart's world headquarters, of course, are in Bentonville. Rodgers has a small college and might be a good place to look for a job. I look forward to hearing about some of your CAMPING trips and adventures. Good luck and please don't be a stranger here.