Thread: Your thoughts, opinion of NRA pistol training?

Default Your thoughts, opinion of NRA pistol training?

I am in the process of enrolling in an 8 hour "Defensive Pistol" class NRA curriculum, NRA instructor, NRA certificate. What are your thoughts on the "formal" training available through the NRA? Good value? Not worth the money? Good content? What are your thoughts?

What are they charging?
    To me training is worth it ...to a point.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

If a prosecutor, defense lawyer or a judge ever has occasion to call into question your abilities or training in handling a handgun, you can produce your formal training documentation.

I'm a life member of the NRA and and if they are putting it on it is thorough at the least. And, no, i haven't taken the class.

Alan

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

They are the only recognized sanctioning body for trainers and courses in the U.S. other than the military and the licensed CCW instructors approved by each state and almost all of them will be NRA trained.

All the fly-by-night training outfits teaching combat tactics have no real standing in a court situation like Alan was indicating. GI Joe the SEAL team leader has no standing in court and might prove more harmful than good.

The NRA has 150 years of tested and regulated safety and marksmanship training as their track record.

The courses offered at our local club are usually cheap and informative. We have the entire range of classes from beginner safety to advanced marksmanship along with cartridge reloading classes of all kinds. Usually the cost just covers targets and materials.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I, too, am a life member and I am a "Certified NRA Pistol Instructor" as well. I need to take this to get my "Advanced Pistol Instructor" rating. Would you pay $100 for an 8 hour class on "NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting" from a NRA certified trainer/instructor about 3 hours class room and 5 hours range. Minimum of 100 rds, shoot for score at the end of the class?
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 07-29-2017 at 01:57 AM.

While I haven't taken any official NRA training courses, I think what you describe is worth it. I do have the NRA Carry Shield and the training videos that are offered with that are good.

I have taken several training classes from a local range and have learned from them and enjoyed them.

We have looked at the NRA program "Woman's Wilderness Escape" for Mrs. Crash. It's a little spendy, but for what you get looks to be well worth it. A woman we met at our range went and her description sounded like it was a fantastic program. https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2...-of-your-life/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am also a "Life Member" of the NRA. Though that just means I paid my dues. LOL

I am also an NRA certified Range Safety Officer. I would not hesitate to pay $100 for a course that I thought could sharpen my shooting.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    I, too, am a life member and I am a "Certified NRA Pistol Instructor" as well. I need to take this to get my "Advanced Pistol Instructor" rating. Would you pay $100 for an 8 hour class on "NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting" from a NRA certified trainer/instructor about 3 hours class room and 5 hours range. Minimum of 100 rds, shoot for score at the end of the class?
    I too am a life member. I did it to get the magazine, but I only read the articles and never look at the pictures.

$12.50 an hour to get an advanced certification?

You can't get a teen-aged girl to baby sit for $12.50 an hour these days.

If you actually use the certification to teach a couple of advanced courses you will get the money back the first day at the range.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-30-2017 at 12:14 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Hunter,

[QUOTE=hunter63;503254]What are they charging? $50

This course runs from 1PM to 7PM with 1.5 hours of class time and 4.5 hours (or so) of range time. They said bring 150-200 rounds, 3 extra mags, mag pouch, holster and belt for the holster and mag pouch. Gun, holster, mag pouch and belt will be inspected prior to use on the range. By the end of the class you will shoot for score at 15 yards 10 rounds in the 8 ring or better with open sights, standing. Pass a written exam with an 80% or better.

Here is the official NRA course description: NRA Basics Of Pistol Shooting

Short Description: The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting is a two-part course consisting of an e-learning portion (completed online in your own timeframe) and a hands-on practical portion conducted at a range under the guidance and supervision of an NRA certified instructor. The course is intended for all adults regardless of previous shooting experience or NRA affiliation.

More Details: Some of the topics in the course include: gun safety rules, proper operation of revolvers and semi-automatic pistols, ammunition knowledge and selection, selecting and storing a pistol, the fundamentals of shooting, and pistol inspection and maintenance. When you enroll in the online course, you create a personal identification number (PIN). When you successfully complete the course, printing your certificate activates that PIN. The activated PIN allows you to register for the instructor-led training portion of the course. Go to nrainstructors.org, find a course near you, select NRA Basics Of Pistol Shooting and search.

During the instructor-led training portion of the course, an NRA certified instructor will validate comprehension and application of gun safety rules; range protocol; proper handling; loading and unloading procedures; application of pistol shooting fundamentals; stable shooting positions; live fire; and a final shooting qualification.

Note: This course replaces the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course.

We will do the "e-learning" portion during our class room time.

Yeah, Thanks... sounds like a deal to me.....

Finished re-doing the slats on my front porch swing.....so was taking it for a test drive (sit?).....(sittin' and swingn')
    Neighbor walks across the street.....He does this pretty often cause I buy him a beer....and generally get him in trouble with his wife.

Has lived across the street for 25 years...but we really haven't hung out...till he decided he would do my snowblowing for me (That's a good thing)

He had been out to Gander Mountain in process of closing the doors...big discounts.
    Saw a Kimber something or other .45 APC...(not a springfield)....and way said it was discounted for $1200 to $600 bucks (?)

Kinda surprised me as they generally don't discount guns very often...for sure 50%

Thought maybe he would go out today and buy it.
    His boy is quite a collector and works at a prison....

The boy shoots at a range that the LEO's use as well has pistol leagues.
    I have never been there, ......Know where it is....Kinda a club only thing.
    I use a couple of different ranges....that are outside.

He wants to sign up for training....so he can compete with his kid....LOL

Told him that we had just been talking about the NRA on the forum....and had pretty much agreed it was an excellent idea.

Other than my hunter safety course , my training has been informal...So would be interested in a going along....

WE will see.....
    Thanks for bringing up the subject.....
    Most anyone would benefit for training.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27